SOS in the Philippines!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
SOS in the Philippines!

I know this is not car related, but a terrible disaster hit my homeland. My home province of Pangasinan and a huge area in the central plains of Luzon in the Philippines took a direct hit from Typhoon Parma (local: Pepeng). My parents who retired there are very lucky to only have their roads flooded. All the other towns and cities surrounding them are underwater and got the brunt of it. But my 2 nieces are trapped in Baguio City as it is isolated by landslides and damaged roads and bridges. We hope and pray that everyone else are okay.

This is the second killer typhoon to hit the Philippines in the last 2 weeks and has caused massive flooding that took out entire cities, towns and villages. The death toll now is over 600 and is expected to rise. Hundreds of thousands of families lost everything they've got. This amount of devastation was never recorded before in recent history of flooding in the Philippines.

Name:  philfloods.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  51.0 KB

Here are more info and pics:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Philip...wl/r2854615399

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091010/...N0cm9vcHNoZWxw

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...-virtual-ocean

I know there's a lot of members here in HIIC who has roots in this country.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
i also have a great deal of friends affected by this. im in SF but i donated to help the relief effort.

i also wish more i-club members would get involved and help out rather then complaining about _______.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Also to add to Ted's Statement, I know alot of you on here both lurkers and regulars are part filipino or have some sort of root connected to the philippines, or have friends that have roots connected to the philippines that are deeply affected by this latest Typhoon hit wether it'll be family related or appreciating the culture. So what Ted( the Boss) and assistants from I are thinking to see if we could do a fundraiser maybe in part with the United Filipino Council of Hawaii. So basically sum it up, ill let this message speak to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDHWOhvdpxM

Last edited by dub81; 10-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
VIP Member

walter and i are contemplating on a fundraising event. we don't have all the details yet but will definitely keep you guys posted.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Yeah crap sorry I have been busy and as i-Club's resident Red Cross person (or at least I am pretty sure I am the highest level ARC person on here)...here's the info as a link for all the efforts in the pacific:

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/...0089f0870aRCRD

I'm not gonna tell you guys you have to donate to the Red Cross to help as giving is intensely personal but I figured I would offer you the most official knowledge / outlet that I know of. This site is not really the kind of site that I would post this stuff so I will keep my posts to this thread rather than spam in multiple regions. If anyone needs specific info about the various Red Cross efforts in the affected areas...you can either PM me or browse the website.

Last edited by bpang1; 10-11-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
walter and i are contemplating on a fundraising event. we don't have all the details yet but will definitely keep you guys posted.
Glad your parents are OK. Hope for the same for your nieces and all affected residents.

A fundraising event or just a collection sounds like a great idea... just lmk how I can help.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:52 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bpang1
Yeah crap sorry I have been busy and as i-Club's resident Red Cross person (or at least I am pretty sure I am the highest level ARC person on here)...here's the info as a link for all the efforts in the pacific:

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/...0089f0870aRCRD

I'm not gonna tell you guys you have to donate to the Red Cross to help as giving is intensely personal but I figured I would offer you the most official knowledge / outlet that I know of. This site is not really the kind of site that I would post this stuff so I will keep my posts to this thread rather than spam in multiple regions. If anyone needs specific info about the various Red Cross efforts in the affected areas...you can either PM me or browse the website.
thanks for the info blake. we will surely get in touch with you on this as the Philippine Red Cross is the only organization that i can truly trust out there. we are still in the process of getting in touch with some government organizations like the Philippine Consulate and the Filipino Community Center here to get more guidance on how we can get the funds to those in need.
If anyone here has some scoops, please don't hesitate to jump in.

Originally Posted by substitude
Glad your parents are OK. Hope for the same for your nieces and all affected residents.

A fundraising event or just a collection sounds like a great idea... just lmk how I can help.
thanks Chris. well, i realized that since we are doing a lot of charity events here, then this is a good place to start. however, this may not be only i-club specific and we may involve other clubs and organizations.