Solo II Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:34 AM

Solo II Reactions

So how did everybody like solo II today at the stadium ? I thought it went pretty smoothly considering it was an inaugural event at a new location.

The track was really short but seemed faster than it was. I learned alot about my car at it's limits with super old and hard bridgestones, something I could never do on the street.

I did okay I think for my first time in the miata, 38.1

steve
Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
I thought there were quite a few wrinkles that need ironing out but overall was pretty good. Can't wait till the next one.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 AM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
The course was tight. It was a momentum course. Kinda short also.

Back in the day...we used to run in the same spot, but could use the entire lower parking lot.

I liked the technical nature of the course, but wished there was more speed as well.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma
I had fun. The course was tight and I really learned the meaning of understeer! Hopefully the stadium officials didn't take notice to the 'little' mishaps that did happen.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
course was fast in the last stretch. i couldn't even hold it all the way and had to let off before the big chicago box. oh well. next time hopefully the car won't be stock(except for rims) and then i can drive like normal. oh well. 2nd is nice since i just got the car less than 2 weeks ago.

he steve did you have a roll bar? i gotta get one soon and there might be a good way around the shipping issues.

nice to see the maui guys again.

b

i miss my sti and 240 when i see courses like this.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:04 AM

Nope, no roll bar. Still debating the rear end vs roll over issue. But if you decide to get one and can get a good deal on shipping lemme know and maybe we can go in together.

BTW what'd you run ?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 04 JBP STi
Yeah, I had fun. It was good to get out and race again. There were some wrinkles to be sure. The officials were understandably tense. I'm gonna let them cool off for a rew days before I make any suggestions...

40.2 was my best time....what about you guys?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by islandx
Nope, no roll bar. Still debating the rear end vs roll over issue. But if you decide to get one and can get a good deal on shipping lemme know and maybe we can go in together.

BTW what'd you run ?
yo steve. rear end vs. roll over issue? what is that? any links?

anyways, i lost to curtis by 1.237 seconds overall. my best was a 34.051. oh well. next month will hopefully be different. i really need fun runs to learn the car though. there is a certain point where the car hooks up but i only felt it a couple of times.

vern went off in joeys car. b
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 PM

rear end vs roll over issue is weighing the benefits of having a roll bar in a roll over vs the risks of having a roll bar in the car in the event of getting rear ended by someone on the street.

Being that I am tall, if I were to install a roll bar my head would be at risk of smashing into the bar if I were to get rear ended.

I still need to do more research, if you're interested there are many threads about it on miata.net, pretty much any thread about roll bars has people opinions on the issue.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

i see. i would pad it properly, but yeah, it would still be bad.

but would the bar hit you or would your seat also move forward with the bar. i helped cory remove his bar and the design looks like it would have to be a really bad hit from behind and the front would have to be sandwiched or else it wouldn't crumple enough to reach the bar.

i forgot to try jason t's miata seat as he has an aftermarket one that sits you low. might be good to use with a bar.....mo money...

yo tyler. i got 1/2 of the 275's you need!!!!

b
Old 08-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally Posted by b_drift
next time hopefully the car won't be stock(except for rims)

i miss my sti and 240 when i see courses like this.

What are you driving now?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mach5WRX
What are you driving now?
a miata.

joey R rocked his xB. haha.

b
Old 08-21-2006, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
was a very interesting day for me....in more ways than one...
Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
So, how'd it go down for you, Randy?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
The auto-x was a lot of fun and more of what I am used to. Although it was very short (time wise) it was a lot more technical than what we used to see at HRP. The two decreasing radius turns definitely forced you to be patient. I felt the 4 major areas to gain time were:

1st decreasing radius turn-you had to come in wide and then tight to the apex so that you could set up for the LH sweeper into the slalom. If you had to back track because you pushed too far out (like me), you'd lose a lot of time.

Left hand sweeper-if you could transition well from the 1st decreasing radius into this turn and keep the line smooth into the slalom, you'd save a lot of time. I actually would go out wide near the start area to keep the radius large for entry into the slaloms.

2nd decreasing radius turn-same goes for this; wide and then tight to the apex to get a fast entry into the high speed slalom area.

High speed slalom area-you could gain a lot of time here by going flat out until the chicago box and then back on it to the finish. This area was the 'easiest' of all the track elements because you just needed to have the ***** to go all out.

I really wanted to run both my cars but the organizers denied me. I hope that I will be able to compare the cars in the same conditions to see which one is really faster. I have a feeling that the yellow one is faster. I ended up getting a low 36 although I really wanted a high 35.

I really want to get some 710s now. Those would have brought me into the high 34s/low 35s.

Quick Reply: Solo II Reactions