So what do you plan on doing when you child starts to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Question So what do you plan on doing when you child starts to drive?

For me when my kids get there first car from me it will be a project suby. the reason i picked a suby is b/c of there saftey & my love for them.

it will not be a turbo one thats for sure they gotta earn that. and what i mean by project is a fixer upper... they will have to learn how to work on the car to get it to run right and by them putting in the hard effort and blood and sweat into the car i feel that they wont take it for granted since so much time will be put into it. i think this is the way i want to do thing when my kids start to drive to make them apprecatie it! plus it is also bonding time for me and the boys!

what are your plans for when your kids start to drive.......
Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
if i ever have kids (boys at least) they are getting a forester in pieces. if they can't put it back together after watching me curse at mine for 16yrs they don't deserve to drive. if they can do that then they are getting wastegate only boost and will need to compete in auto-x at least 3 events before going out on their own. if i have any girls they will only get a gps locator so i can track them
Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Haha, Jayden will probably get my 2.5x if it doesn't sell. Luckily I still have another year and a half or so before he's legal. The only other thing I will need him to learn is how to drive standard. But, that may be an issue since none of my cars are standard anymore. The funniest was when he asked if he was getting our IS250 when he was legal to drive. Yah right!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Wingless WRX
I don't think i'll have to worry about this issue. By then, i think cars with gas motors will be forbidden by the govt. If not, they'll get my 03 Suby =)
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Dont have any kids, I'm still one IMO. If/when I do, I will let them have whatever they can afford. My parents never bought my any of my cars, I bought them all with my own money saved up. If they can afford it, they can drive it. If it needs work, I will help them fix it. Sounds fair to me. :P
Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
No kids yet, but when/if I'll pick up an old truck for them to use. It'll still be mine. I think this whole "buy your kid a new car for their 16th b-day" is insane.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Yep, Brandon's son and my son are the same age...

We don't have much time to think really...1 1/2 years...

It's funny because their birthdays are the same..

I've been contemplating this for a while...my previous cars since selling my 04 STI were:

2006 Evo9 MR/SE (6sp)...waaay to nice for even me to drive as a DD...spotless...
1996 Acura Integra GS-R (5sp)...too nice, only 26K miles when I picked it up...too nice to learn on...
2005 STI (6sp)...Private school forced sale
1991 Honda Prelude (Auto)...nice, but no air bags...not good.
2002 Toyota Solara (5sp)...stick and too big to learn on...Solara's are bigger than you think...barely fit in my garage.

All, with the exception of the EVO and STI, was meant to be a car for "my son"...yeah, well that didn't work out...

Like Shaggy and Brandon, I was thinking older NA Subaru since there is a great support network out there for our cars...but I am also attracted to the older Integra's/Prelude's and Celica's...it will probably be one of those...

I figure, if I don't mind driving it, either will my kids...the cars mentioned are: Sporty, safe, reliable, and get great gas mileage...

I am also partial to teaching on an auto at this point. I was previously an advocate of standard first, then auto...but with the traffic like it is here, I think a stick is just another thing that can cause an unwanted accident...Both my kids will learn on auto and then learn stick after...and definitely no turbo until later...

In the meantime, I will be fighting them off my WRX... They don't even ask anymore...heh heh...

Last edited by Island Style; 11-24-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
My son turns a year old this friday. Im looking for old muscle cars so that we can build it together as he gets older so that he has a good appreciation for it. Dont thing I'll give it to him on his 16th though. I'll probably get him a beater as a DD or something and give him the muscle car on his 18th when he graduates high school. Plus its a solid car that will most likely survive a wreck. Thats assuming we are still using fossile fuels 18 years from now lol.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by dTek
Plus its a solid car that will most likely survive a wreck. Thats assuming we are still using fossile fuels 18 years from now lol.
Haha, funny you bring that up. I just came back from taking a bunch of I-Car classes @ Sema. They actually showed a video of an older Chevy (1960 something) in an offset head on collision with a '09 Chevy Malibu. Lots of people are under the impression that because the older cars are so heavy that they'd fare better in a crash than a newer smaller car. Noooooottttttttt exactly. The old Chevy got creamed......the fender got pushed so far back past the front door.....the dash, steering wheel, and windshield pratically went through the driver's chest and head......and there was just so much violent motion going on in the passenger cabin. The driver would've died on impact. The '09 Malibu, although probably would've been deemed a total loss, but the driver would've walked away. There was a tremendous difference in the amount of energy transfer and absorption between the newer lighter steels used in today's vehicles. I'm glad my wife and kids roll in a 2010 Forester. Thanks Subaru
Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
My kids will get a beater, which they can learn to take care of and appreciate. To many kids nowadays ARE SPOILED BY THEIR PARENTS! Why else do you see teenagers rollin in some nice STI's, EVO's, etc etc. I for one want my kids to understand what it is like to to earn and build something with their own money and hands. Me personally, I did not have all my toys till my late 20's/early 30's.

And if I offended any of you kiddies......oh well!!!

but with that being said I can also support Shaggy's route also.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
My kids will get a beater, which they can learn to take care of and appreciate. To many kids nowadays ARE SPOILED BY THEIR PARENTS! Why else do you see teenagers rollin in some nice STI's, EVO's, etc etc. I for one want my kids to understand what it is like to to earn and build something with their own money and hands. Me personally, I did not have all my toys till my late 20's/early 30's.

lol i agree i wouldnt buy my child a brand new car..... by the time my kids are 16 i think we will get a 05-06 subie thats a beater and need TLC so they can appreciate the car and not think of it as mommy and daddys money

by then those would be like a 2-4k car if that. and what i mean is more then likely a broken car like my first one was that i had to fix to get to use it. I also had to do lots of things to earn my moneys and also paper routes and mowing neighbors yards and I also worked at my moms office.

my parents would never even to this day co-sign a car loan for me and i will be the same way. my parents thought me at a young age how important your CS is and will play a big part in your life. I have had a 700+ credit score since i was 20+ now im above the mid 750's and i just turned 26. i have to say thanks to my parents for teaching me the importance of bills and wise ways to use my money.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
Wow ****, you young. I've got 10 years on you and still never had a new car. The wife's doesn't count. (It's fine BTW)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
My first car was a POS 78 chevy monte carlo that cost $200. It didn't even run when I got it. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but my dad was teaching me how to work on cars. I am glad today that he went that route with me. There are very few projects on a car that I wouldn't try to fix on my own.

I won't expect my daughter to work on cars quite like I do, I will buy her a dependable reasonably priced car in 11 years when she starts to drive and teach her how to do the basic maintenance and things to watch out for if she has to take it in for repair, although she is already eying my chevelle.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by 4080wrx

Agree with you 100%! My first car for my son will be a fixer upper, and if he wants to fix it up he better work for money for parts. There is a lesson to be learned here, getting something for nothing never helped anyone. My roommates little sister is 19 and has wrecked 3 cars already and just beats the crap out of them because she could care less about them.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Im 21 and own a 04 STI. I think it was stupid for me to get a STI because of its high insurance at my age but i do like what the STI's comes with and im paying it on my own. My dad did co sign and told me no at first but begged him because he never did spoil me at all in my life.. only the time he spoiled me is when i asked for a gameboy for christmas and he actually got me it! I loved and remember that day soo good just because that was the first time he ever got me something i asked for, that and this loan for my car now.
My dad works for the post office doing the bodywork of the vehicles and i really wished i work up 6am when i was 7yrs to go watch/learn on what hes doing. :'( now hes too old to do side jobs and teach me.

Quick Reply: So what do you plan on doing when you child starts to drive?