So I made my first......

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
So I made my first......

pass on the 1/4 in over 2 years in my 05 Sti I am shocked I still know how to launch some what. All this was made possible by sneezerboi considering I didn't have a helmet so he lent me his. Thanks bro! So yeah looking at my time below considering I had a decent 60ft and a crappy 1/4 MPH and ET I think I am shifting way to late. I think I was shifting at about 6700 so I think the next time I will bring it down to 6000. Damn! I wish I didn't forget to hit the record on my guages that way I would have had a better idea where my boost starts to taper. Did any of you guys that was there happen to catch the only run I did? If so how did my launch and driving look from your view? I definetly need to make it out again before the track closes to see if I can improve this. Oh and nice meeting the guys I did tonite, sorry to keep things short I had to take care of my son because my wife is to pregnant to chase after him.

1.822-------60ft
8.716-------1/8 ET
76.79-------1/8 MPH
13.759------1/4 ET
94.76-------1/4 MPH

Jess
Old 01-28-2006, 03:13 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Congrats on your 1st pass on hitting 13's but your 1/4 mile MPH are low, its all about the shifting there.... so this is what I see...

60ft. its good but not enough.... you need to launch a little bit harder (5k) and let it slip....with that said, if you shift fast and properly around 6500, you should have a better 60ft and a good 1/8 mile ET/MPH...keeping in mind to shift fast without hesitation you should give up good numbers in the end.

These are my times: if anything you can adjust from there, but its all said above...

.566 - reaction
1.779 - 60ft.
8.218 - 1/8 ET
82.40 - 1/8 MPH
12.973 - 1/4 ET
101.60 - 1/4 MPH

Good luck Jess, Hopefully this helps a little.... Thanks... Jose
Old 01-28-2006, 07:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
damn 101mph @12.9...i've hit 13.02 about 3 or 4 times already at about 102-104...i must be doing something wrong, and oh yeah my 60 ft was never a 1.7xx...always 1.8xx, gotta work on that....

Jess, 2 yrs is a long time though, so your times are not bad at all...considering some guys with STI's that's in the 14's, some even worse....
Old 01-28-2006, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Jess,

I know, I know, but my advice would be to stay away from the 1/4 mile. It's a great yard stick for measuring gains, but it's also a monster much like crack.

Add a few bolt-ons, head to the track, dissatisfaction....

Buy more bolt-ons, head to the track, beat on the car a little more than you were the preceding time - in case it's the driver and not the car, dissatisfaction.

Struggle with the decision to buy something MAJOR in order to improve times, buy it, head to track, 60' comes down, pleased with yourself but dissatisfied with times/traps still.

Break something.

Major struggle. Drop it entirely? Replace what's broken with something that's REALLY major? While you're at it (the researching that necessarily comes while you're caught in your latest struggle will certainly result in finding other MAJOR stuff you could do) The decision is then made to replace what's broken with something that costs the same as a good, used beater; in my case ~$4200. Simultaneously, decision is made to upgrade something else with another MAJOR upgrade.

IIRC, You're married with a child, right? Aw man, in my case I can't tell you how critical this became for me....and it's not done. In my case, add another child and a time-intensive job and you have no choice but to make the car a very low priority; and you know that the Army has a way of doing that to you.

SO! My advice to you is the same direction I'm trying to go. Either keep your STi or swap it for something that's nice and fun for the daily drive to work or for occasional canyon runs, but also buy a $1500-2000 CRX, Miata, 1st or 2nd gen RX7, anything Z from 1990 or earlier.... Put $10k into it over the course of years. Prep it for trackdays/HPDE only. Be happy.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

BTW-OT.

We need to lobby to make Jose a VIP member. A small reward for serving his country.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
BTW-OT.

We need to lobby to make Jose a VIP member. A small reward for serving his country.
I second that!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by thunder_sti
Congrats on your 1st pass on hitting 13's but your 1/4 mile MPH are low, its all about the shifting there.... so this is what I see...

60ft. its good but not enough.... you need to launch a little bit harder (5k) and let it slip....with that said, if you shift fast and properly around 6500, you should have a better 60ft and a good 1/8 mile ET/MPH...keeping in mind to shift fast without hesitation you should give up good numbers in the end.

These are my times: if anything you can adjust from there, but its all said above...

.566 - reaction
1.779 - 60ft.
8.218 - 1/8 ET
82.40 - 1/8 MPH
12.973 - 1/4 ET
101.60 - 1/4 MPH

Good luck Jess, Hopefully this helps a little.... Thanks... Jose
Jose thanks for posting your time slip now I have something to guage off of. Come to think of it I did launch at 4k which obviously is way low. as far as the shifting I know I hit every gear precisely and even hit 5th before the end. so to sum it all up I think my improves would be launch at 5k, shift around 6500, and improve the 60ft. I think launching at 5k alone will be the major time dropper.

Jess
Old 01-28-2006, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Jess,

I know, I know, but my advice would be to stay away from the 1/4 mile. It's a great yard stick for measuring gains, but it's also a monster much like crack.

Add a few bolt-ons, head to the track, dissatisfaction....

Buy more bolt-ons, head to the track, beat on the car a little more than you were the preceding time - in case it's the driver and not the car, dissatisfaction.

Struggle with the decision to buy something MAJOR in order to improve times, buy it, head to track, 60' comes down, pleased with yourself but dissatisfied with times/traps still.

Break something.

Major struggle. Drop it entirely? Replace what's broken with something that's REALLY major? While you're at it (the researching that necessarily comes while you're caught in your latest struggle will certainly result in finding other MAJOR stuff you could do) The decision is then made to replace what's broken with something that costs the same as a good, used beater; in my case ~$4200. Simultaneously, decision is made to upgrade something else with another MAJOR upgrade.

IIRC, You're married with a child, right? Aw man, in my case I can't tell you how critical this became for me....and it's not done. In my case, add another child and a time-intensive job and you have no choice but to make the car a very low priority; and you know that the Army has a way of doing that to you.

SO! My advice to you is the same direction I'm trying to go. Either keep your STi or swap it for something that's nice and fun for the daily drive to work or for occasional canyon runs, but also buy a $1500-2000 CRX, Miata, 1st or 2nd gen RX7, anything Z from 1990 or earlier.... Put $10k into it over the course of years. Prep it for trackdays/HPDE only. Be happy.
Pat I absolutely agree with everything you have said here. This is why even after I had gotten back from Iraq in Feb of last year and picking up the STI shortly after I have stayed away from the crack, oops I mean track. I am in the process of buying my daily driver as soon as the guy selling it to me is ready to (old chevy luv pickup). As soon as this is done the STI will go to National Guard status (you know weekend warrior).

I made the pass I did last night under pure curiosity on what the car and myself can do and honestly I am not disatisfied in anyway but I know the car and myself can do a lot better. With this being said I am not going to make crazy multiple passes down the strip like I did with my 03 WRX (not that I have ever broke anything on it but was going to sooner or later). I used my 03 as I guess you can say training wheels for the Subaru WRX lineup (what to do/what not to do).

Oh and Pat it felt kinda weird last night with all the new faces at the track. Nothing like a few years ago when the mid schoolers and old schoolers were actively going there. Not that the new guys are not passing on the tradition and not representing but just seemed weird because back in the day I could recognize/knew most of the people there. Its cool though there is nothing wrong with making new friends.

Jess
Old 01-28-2006, 12:23 PM
VIP Member

I can't tell you how much I miss it, tho.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Thanks for the words fellas....

Pat, thats a good advice, subarus are not meant for a straight line...you are right on that...
Old 01-28-2006, 01:46 PM
VIP Member

Jose, I wasn't saying that. It's more meant for the straight line than most old school muscle cars are. Just because a car's heritage is in a staged, circuit-type racing style, I never figured out why folks are so death on drag racing an AWD platform or Impreza in general.

However, anymore my opinion is that unless you're just made of money, there aren't any oem, stock cars that can stand up to prolongued drag racing.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Good to have finally met you, Jess. Glad to have lent you my helmet so that you can run a 13 your first time in that car AND for the 1st time in 2 years. See you around, bro.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
yeah some guys make too much passes, gotta know your limit...i only make 4 passes and that's it even if im not satisfied of my times.....how did the rest of you fellas do?

hey jess, how's about some auto x man!!!

Last edited by de pilipino guy; 01-28-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:09 PM

Car Info: subaru
Originally Posted by de pilipino guy
yeah some guys make too much passes, gotta know your limit...
Yeah, if you do too much drag racing, sooner or later you'll have to get a bunch of guys together to help with a cluch install...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:58 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by de pilipino guy

hey jess, how's about some auto x man!!!
its tempting I know the next one is next weekend. we'll see I have to see whats going next week. I would definetly have to get a helmet for that.

jess

Quick Reply: So I made my first......