View Poll Results: Should HIIC have elected officers and membership dues?
Yes to both
30.43%
Yes to elected officers only
17.39%
Yes to membership dues only
0%
No to both
34.78%
I don't really care
17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Should we have HIIC Officers and dues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by Tiare
Wow, sounds like you really want a piece of that man! :banana:

Sorry, but I will not vote for you or myself or others, I believe in better responsible people such as current Moderator(s) and Admin(s).

That is my 2 cents.

no problem dude

"I'm just saying..."

Jon
Old 08-01-2005, 05:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
^^^Better not be mine

Anyways, as the uhm.......uh........self appointed "Events Guy", I think it would be more than beneficial to hae some kind of order in this whole thing.

More to get everyone on the same page when we do events or when we have other "club-wide" decisions/actions that need to be taken.

I think with the community we have here we could really do a lot more for each other and the island as well. We could hold more events, try different types of meets, do more fundraising, etc.

However, the structuring of everything needs to be very liberal and inclusive. Let's face it...there will always be noobs. It's up to the old school members to take them under their wings and to the noobs to learn as much as they can so that they'll stop posting things that make the old schoolers mad. If anything...I'd say give 2-3 more people moderator powers so that we have constant monitoring of the boards and give them the right to move any of the mundane noobian posts right away rather than letting them sit and fester.

^^^Of course, they would write a PM to the user and talk to them about better i-Club ettiquette.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:19 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
do it it's for the best but i think alex should nominate ppls to do different things so its not just a click that in charge if u knw what i mean
Old 08-01-2005, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Thumbs up Agree on

Originally Posted by bpang1
...More to get everyone on the same page when we do events or when we have other "club-wide" decisions/actions that need to be taken.

I think with the community we have here we could really do a lot more for each other and the island as well. We could hold more events, try different types of meets, do more fundraising, etc.

...^^^Of course, they would write a PM to the user and talk to them about better i-Club ettiquette.
those are some good points to consider...
Old 08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
VIP Member

ALSO...I would be more than willing to be the one running the voting process (if we do it like that).

I'll take nominations and put down polls for each position.

How's this:

President
Vice President - Events (Takes care of events)
Vice President - Membership (Takes care of new members and gets them on board)
Vice President - Ettiquete (Takes care of squabbles...kind of a sergeant at arms)
Vice President - Technical (Takes care of getting people together to do install days...doesn't necessarily have to wrench)
Vice President - Finance (Takes care of the membership dues and orders shirts/stickers)
Vice President - Forums (Main person that monitors the forum but the others will back him/her up)

...how's those? Just throwing it out there. Just an FYI that if we charge dues we MAY have to form some kind of non-profit organization or something to accept them (financial people please back that up).
Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)

Old 08-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
You know what...this is becoming rediculous. I should have never brought it up.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:31 PM
VIP Member

^^^Ridiculous?!

How so?

I think it's been fairly constructive.

I hope you delete that above post because it really deflates the energy that we've got going. You being the leader of this portion of i-Club and all should know that you've got to foster ideas and opinion in order to come to a good decision.

Part of being a good leader is listening to your team and combining all of their ideas and talents into a cohesive and effective movement.

Last edited by bpang1; 08-01-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Staff Member

WHy should we have to expand and make it a bigger bureacracy than it really has to be? What energy? I make a suggestion and I am taking the constructive criticism that goes with it...but nothing can be simple with this group. It always has to be more complicated than it really is.

Please...no more telling me how it "used to be"...I was here from the beginning...I know what it was like. We never had to deal with this situation before. It's just becomming way more complicated than it needs to be.

I am trying to foster ideas and opinions. When I do make decisions, they are met with the attitude like I am some dictator! That's how everyone thinks here. Yes...every opinion is valuable...but at some point, those that give their opinion have to realize that their idea or opinion may not be the one that is chosen. People on here just don't get it sometimes...
Old 08-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
You know what...this is becoming rediculous. I should have never brought it up.
What did you expect?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Staff Member

Originally Posted by Mach5WRX
What did you expect?
I guess I expected more...
Old 08-02-2005, 03:26 AM
VIP Member

WHy should we have to expand and make it a bigger bureacracy than it really has to be? What energy? I make a suggestion and I am taking the constructive criticism that goes with it...but nothing can be simple with this group. It always has to be more complicated than it really is.

Please...no more telling me how it "used to be"...I was here from the beginning...I know what it was like. We never had to deal with this situation before. It's just becomming way more complicated than it needs to be.

I am trying to foster ideas and opinions. When I do make decisions, they are met with the attitude like I am some dictator! That's how everyone thinks here. Yes...every opinion is valuable...but at some point, those that give their opinion have to realize that their idea or opinion may not be the one that is chosen. People on here just don't get it sometimes...
Then why don't you explain to us how it's "supposed" to be. Not all of us have been here as long as you.

Speaking as a fairly new person (1 year)...it's hard to read into what you think this club should be all about.

One day I see you asking us for our opinions, then the next day I see you commenting as though we have no understanding of what is going on, then you go and say that all opinions are welcome...so it's hard to know if we're doing something wrong.

Look, I know you and the other old schoolers have been on here a while and all and you feel that you deserve some respect which is just fine because you've really helped to foster this club. I just ask that you help us newer folks understand where you're coming from other than saying "in the old days this and that" or "ya'll don't get it".

Again...I respect you and everything you've done but I just hope that you can explain to us why you feel a certain way.

Hell I agree with most of what you do as a moderator and as one of our leaders I just tend to notice that sometimes people don't understand why you made this move or that move and it would really help if you could constructively explain why you did so.

Last edited by bpang1; 08-02-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Staff Member

Blake and everyone else…I apologize if my most recent reactions to the thread have been negative. I started this thread because it seemed to me that the group is getting so big whereas we need to have a little more structure than we have had in the past. I honestly don’t know if this is a good thing or not…I was just trying to get an idea of what the consensus was.

The i-Club where I’m coming from is a lot different than where we are today. When this first started out, there were only 15 or so of us on the site. All of us hung out together, raced at Solo II together, and then became close friends. Even though most of the original group has moved on and sold their Subarus, we all remain really close friends. We are godfathers of each others’ children…we attend weddings of each other…we even go out together. When the group was smaller, almost everything was done face to face. Hell…even when the WRX came out, the WRX guys hung out with the RS guys and got drunk together and threw up in my yard! The sad part about it is that those people who laid the foundation of this group don’t even want to post on this site anymore because (like Jon mentioned in an earlier post) there are a lot of useless posts and BS going on. I know this can’t be controlled, and I won’t control it because Alex wants it that way.

Anyway…we never argued about anything or had to discuss anything so in depth as this before. If someone came up with an idea, then we’d agree to it or not. No problems. Now, I have to make a poll to see how much people are willing to pay for a t-shirt because people flake out or are cheap to just get the best they can possibly get…this never happened before. In fact, our first club t-shirt was designed, produced and sold without us even knowing about it. It wasn’t pretty, but we were happy to have it. I highly doubt that would work as well today as it did in the past. Jon did a fantastic job the last time, but he had major headaches dealing with it.

I understand the group is much larger than it ever was and it is still growing. I personally don’t mind if we have officers or not. I have a lot on my plate as it is, but I am still willing to do as much as possible to help everything move along. I get a phone call a week because I’m listed as the president or contact person for the i-Club (just look in the auto section of the Star Bulletin every Friday). I talk to people who want to purchase a Subaru, ask me questions about the STi and I always tell them about i-Club. I have and always will do as much as I can for this group, and I’m not the only one.

I guess I was just trying to feel out what kind of personalities are on here and see how we can all work together and put away the immature bickering and silly posts and arguments. These situations may all be on a computer screen and little words in cyberspce…but in real life, they are someone’s feelings and beliefs. So much is said online and not enough face to face. I think that’s where I’m coming from. We have a lot of interaction online. We have a few internet tough guys that don’t even participate. You may ask why haven’t I gone to any of the meets? A couple guys from the “old school” went and weren’t impressed with the discussions going on. Only a handful of people race their cars, where as EVERY SINGLE RS that was on island was on the Solo II or lapping session track at one time or another. It’s just different and I was thinking that maybe it could be similar to what it was before. I’m not saying I should be in charge. I’m probably the only RS guy that comes on here (ON A REGULAR BASIS)…mainly because I am one of the moderators. I’ve been here long enough and I see a lot of what goes on and yes, I have history with Alex and the other guys. I’m not trying to monopolize power. I think I do a decent job taking care of business here and off the site. I’m just trying to make this as good as it can be.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
^^agreed and well put. The problem i feel is that a small percentage of the active members contribute to this forum, while the vast many just take away from it. There are soo many active members on the boards who i have personally never met, so i'd say it would be hard to discuss things in person. I have been a member for about the same amount of time as blake, but been a lurker for about 6 months before that.
There are abunch of guys in this "mid-skool" range, as mach5dan likes to put it. We have been around each other and many different circles of friends have emerged from that. But now it seems HIIC will be uncontrollably large when the 2006 models hit the showrooms. I don't have all the answers, but would love to help i-club, but more importantly HIIC, in any way that i can. My work schedule is 6 days a week, but i'm willing to donate my time to the cause.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Thumbs up Too much drama

…I apologize if my most recent reactions to the thread have been negative... I think I do a decent job taking care of business here and off the site. I’m just trying to make this as good as it can be.
Man, you are a Moderator on I-club, you do you job well and don't have to take crap from others!

As I stated on my previous post, "I believe in better responsible people such as Moderator(s) and Admin(s)" on this forum!

Quick Reply: Should we have HIIC Officers and dues?