Shipping a Legacy GT to Oahu - Ground Clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 AM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
yeah ive never run into a problem with a lowered car with matson and ive shipped more than a few SLAMMED vws with no probs just make sure you inspect and document what condition your vehicle is in when you deliver it to the docks..........or you can pray you get the deal xavier got when he shipped his car lucky bastage even got a container!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
ya i will be taking ALOT of pictures before hand. i thought matson shipped in open containers tho.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
as long as you won't let these guys ship your car, you'll be fine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwUD...eature=related

Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
Originally Posted by 808subaru
Very strange. I had no problems shipping my legacy last september with Horizon Lines. Does your car have stickers all over it? What else could their reasoning be?
No, it is clean looking and the suspension is completely stock. Their website says the car must clear 6 inches, so I asked the representative about it and he said the car could be refused at the terminal because they don't want to assume liability for any damages. Honestly, we are talking about 0.1 inches here!

I'm making this move into a road trip... I'll be driving my Legacy from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles and then dropping it off at the shipping terminal before flying to Oahu. I don't want to risk driving all the way to the west coast and then encountering a problem with Horizon lines. That's a long way to drive and not have a guarantee that my car will be shipped.

I spoke to a very helpful rep from Pasha Hawaii last night, and he told me that they wouldn't have any problems loading my car. A friend of mine also used this company to ship his vehicles from Oahu to Pittsburgh and was very pleased. Unfortunately, their terminal isn't in a convenient location and they don't sail as often... so I need to change my travel plans.

Last edited by bjamerican; 04-08-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
Originally Posted by austinp02
ya i will be taking ALOT of pictures before hand. i thought matson shipped in open containers tho.
yeah they ship on an open container but they do closed container shipping too ive always just put my cars on an open ship and honestly have never had a problem with matson lowered cars and all.............. the port in long beach is easy to use and the people were always helpful and the same goes for the dock in hawaii.......
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Car Info: 96 Subaru SVX LSi
Stick with Matson. They are the largest shipping company on the planet so they have more than enough experience with vehicles of sizes, but yeah it will be very dirty when it gets here.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
My friend shipped a slammed G35 from California about 4 months ago and he used Matson... no hassles, no problems
Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
Originally Posted by alienbreed69
yeah they ship on an open container but they do closed container shipping too ive always just put my cars on an open ship and honestly have never had a problem with matson lowered cars and all.............. the port in long beach is easy to use and the people were always helpful and the same goes for the dock in hawaii.......
ooh, thats another question. i am sending the car to Cali and then driving back home. how long does it take once the boat leaves to go from here to Cali? i've heard its like 3 days but word from someone who knows would be great. also how often do they send out ships?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by austinp02
ooh, thats another question. i am sending the car to Cali and then driving back home. how long does it take once the boat leaves to go from here to Cali? i've heard its like 3 days but word from someone who knows would be great. also how often do they send out ships?
Matson is 2-3 weeks. (deck-top shipping)
Pasha is approx 3 weeks (they sail every 2 weeks, car is stored below deck).
Horizon is approx 5 days (they sail weekly, all cars loaded into containers).
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM

After more thought and a little reasoning, I'm almost tempted to risk going with Horizon as originally planned. They are arguing over 1/10 of an inch... so maybe I'll have to overinflate my tires to gain the extra 2.5 mm of clearance they require. I just measured the front lip of the car and it actually has nearly 9 inches of ground clearance. The actual lowest part of the car is only the plastic aerodynamic covering. I really can't forsee any issues with them driving it into the container.

If they would turn me down for whatever reason, I guess I could drive the car over to Matson's terminal, which is located in the same harbor at Long Beach. Despite Pasha's good reputation, their terminal locations aren't nearly as convenient as Horizon's or Matson's.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Aaron, PM replied! Matson takes FOREVER. I am another one of Horizon's satisfied customers. Used them 2x in my lifetime.