Shipping a Legacy GT to Oahu - Ground Clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
Shipping a Legacy GT to Oahu - Ground Clearance?

This question is mainly for the handful of Legacy owners on the forum. Were any of your vehicles shipped from the mainland?

I'm in the process of booking the shipment of my 2005 Legacy GT through Horizon Lines. I have one major concern... the company requires that all cars have at least 6 inches of ground clearance, but the Legacy has 5.9 inches of clearance. With the ground clearance being so low and the relatively long overhang of the body past the front axle makes me worry that they will have trouble loading the vehicle into a container. Does anybody here by chance have experience with Horizon Lines?

I also have a question about Hawaii's safety inspections. Are there any weird emissions or other laws that would prevent me from having a catback exhaust? All of the catalytic converters will be intact, but from the cats back it is obvious that the car has an aftermarket exhaust. It is not obnoxiously loud, but still noticeably louder and deeper than stock. I don't want to run into troubles after I've shipped my car across the Pacific.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
banned

Car Info: .
I believe Abakja1 purchased his Legacy from a mainland dealer and had it shipped.

Hopefully he'll chime in here.
If not, you can probably PM him directly about his experience.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
You can also try PM'ing 808Subaru or CallMeCrazy as they purchased a 3.0 H6 from the Northwest region & had it shipped to Hawaii.

Also, check this out:
https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/shipping-car-hawaii-171286/
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Is 5.9 the stock height or your modified height?

If it's stock than I believe you should be fine.

In regards to the vehicle laws in HI refer to the term "recon" by doing a search here and on forumshawaii.com
Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
xavier you gonna chime in here??? lol didnt you just ship your spec b ///
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
We dont have any emissions test and exhaust isnt really a problem, unless you run into a cop whos having a bad day or just feels like being a jerk..
Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
Thanks for the input. I finally got in touch with somebody at Horizon today, and they want nothing to do with my Legacy. They told me the port will refuse the car... even in its stock form.

I'm going to try getting info from Pasha lines. I've heard they are very careful and thorough when it comes to loading and unloading vehicles.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:23 PM

just go with matson navigation ive used them over 20 times and have never had a problem other than the car being dirty when it arrived....
Old 04-07-2008, 04:28 PM

Car Info: 08 Evo X
Wow I shipped my lowered sti through cross country auto transport which uses Matson and they were no problems along the way whatsoever... Try Matson
Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Car Info: Subaru Legacy Spec B, EVO VIII
Just shipped my spec B all the way form TX in January with no problems.. The suspension is all stock...
Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 PM

^^^^ there you are i was wondering how long it would take....who did you use?? matson??
Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by bjamerican
Thanks for the input. I finally got in touch with somebody at Horizon today, and they want nothing to do with my Legacy. They told me the port will refuse the car... even in its stock form.

I'm going to try getting info from Pasha lines. I've heard they are very careful and thorough when it comes to loading and unloading vehicles.
Very strange. I had no problems shipping my legacy last september with Horizon Lines. Does your car have stickers all over it? What else could their reasoning be?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
hey warren, on that note, i will be using matson to ship my car back home and was wondering if it being lowered will be an issue. you've seen my car, its not slammed but it is low.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM

Car Info: Subaru Legacy Spec B, EVO VIII
I used Matson... they were cool.. since they put my car into a container instead of out of the open...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
I had mine shipped by Northland since I bought my car new from Seattle. Never asked about how low my car was and was like $1600 for its own container and insurance for $75,000 (why that amt I dunno but good to know if the ship sinks).

As for the exhaust, everyone gots em, just depends if the cops nab you or not,...Luck of the draw I guess..some of us got headers, racepipe and catback, so you're definitely not the only one w/ exhaust on ur LGT. So no worries,...

Originally Posted by bjamerican
This question is mainly for the handful of Legacy owners on the forum. Were any of your vehicles shipped from the mainland?

I'm in the process of booking the shipment of my 2005 Legacy GT through Horizon Lines. I have one major concern... the company requires that all cars have at least 6 inches of ground clearance, but the Legacy has 5.9 inches of clearance. With the ground clearance being so low and the relatively long overhang of the body past the front axle makes me worry that they will have trouble loading the vehicle into a container. Does anybody here by chance have experience with Horizon Lines?

I also have a question about Hawaii's safety inspections. Are there any weird emissions or other laws that would prevent me from having a catback exhaust? All of the catalytic converters will be intact, but from the cats back it is obvious that the car has an aftermarket exhaust. It is not obnoxiously loud, but still noticeably louder and deeper than stock. I don't want to run into troubles after I've shipped my car across the Pacific.

Quick Reply: Shipping a Legacy GT to Oahu - Ground Clearance?