Serious Impreza Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 02:01 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Originally posted by Mister 2
Does it have to be a bolt on turbo? Would you be interested in having an adapter made which would connect to the uppipe and then have a T3 flange? It would also feature a small stub and flange to mount an external wastegate. Kinda like this piece you see here. The hole is where the pipe and flange for the external 'gate connects.

http://www.hpopower.com/hpo_product_...asp?product=34

The thickness of it would raise the turbo a couple inches so we gotta check the clearance and find a way to brace things. A T3/T4 would give you the widest range of turbos which are all easily serviceable by a number of shops.

After that change the flange on your downpipe. Or even cut your downpipe into two pieces w/ a V-band to connect them and then have a T4 turbine flange and just a single piece of mandrel bent piping to connect. That way you can still swap back in the stock turbo.
Dude,

You seem to have some resources. I think I know who to go to once I plan to change my set-up.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Originally posted by Chibby Goku
Dude,

You seem to have some resources. I think I know who to go to once I plan to change my set-up.
I got a lot of ideas here . One thing about modding a MR-2 is that there isn't a lot of stuff off the shelf available. You gotta create your own stuff. I've worked w/ a few machine shops locally to fab a few things.

On another note - Regarding fuel injectors. Do any of you 12 sec guys w/ STi injectors have data on duty cycle and fuel pressure that they are running at?

Dean
Old 06-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
......... not to rain on anyone's parade, .... but these are the same things I've been saying for years ....

about the STi injectors, ... they're being highly taxed with only a vf30. Richard will be able to give you the specifics with them.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
On a good tune I get ~90% IDC at ~19psi @ 7k rpm. I wouldn't want to be flowing more air than I am now with these injectors!
Old 06-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Pr0n King

P.S. By good tune I mean ~10.9:1 - 11.0:1 AFR.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by Rexstang
Nolimit: So far here goes.

Garrett GT-3037 turbo (500hp)
PE 800cc injectors
Vishnu fuel rails
Invidia Downpipe
Sti short block

AEM/Autronic EMS ?

Have I overlooked anything besides what I already have in my car?
Very worried about the drivetrain.
Don't know any specifics, like ET, but I heard of an 02 WRX at Englishtown, NJ that did 128mph with a 3037.

Could be baloney. Hopefully I'll find out first hand in a few weekends.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Pr0n King

Originally posted by palaban
11's?!?!

I think many of will just have to live vicariously through you guys. I'd be happy as pig with 12's, but I sure would love to see a Subie hit 11's at HRP. I think the announcer would go nuts!
Yup! Pat, you listenin'? Make the call, and pick up that nitrous kit! Jet it to "kill" and make a blitzkrieg down the 1/4!

We can be building your shortblock in the meantime.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I feel like a man tied up and forced to watch an all-girl threesome writhe around on a nearby bed.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Pr0n King

That's bad, right?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Where is my beer?

Originally posted by gpatmac
I feel like a man tied up and forced to watch an all-girl threesome writhe around on a nearby bed.
geez, ..... poor Pat.

When you get back, ... when is that again? You're gonna blow your load quick!! Just don't blow your motor!!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by IS2Scooby
On a good tune I get ~90% IDC at ~19psi @ 7k rpm. I wouldn't want to be flowing more air than I am now with these injectors!
Hmmm. Thanks for the info Richard. Do you know the fuel pressure you're running (stock FPR?)? An increase in fuel pressure (within reason) can get a little more fuel out of them. You might be safer running a touch more fuel pressure and getting the duty cycle down a bit. 90% is really at the ragged edge.

Dean
Old 06-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Pr0n King

Stock FPR. I don't like to mess with pressure much. I had done a TON of it with my blown Mustang (before ECU solutions became available to modulate injector duty cycle) and had erratic results...

I agree a slight bump can increase fuel delivered per "squirt" though.

Talk about ragged edge, Stage 2 WRX's can hit 100% duty cycle all night long!

Last edited by IS2Scooby; 06-12-2003 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:15 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
I prefer bolt ons over fabrication only because I like things as simple as possible. I am keeping as many options open as well. I'm still not 100% sure this is the route I want to take. I've got a trip coming and will take some time to thoroughly think out what I want as an end result. How much power do I want or need? How much $$ do I want to spend? My unfortunate predicament is that I want a daily driver with gobs of power 400+ and as few problems afterward as possible without jeopardizing my kids college money. With this in mind, I'm taking baby steps. First is the block and fuel rails, then the injectors and engine management, then the turbo and exhaust. Not too sure how long it'll take either. Maybe a couple months maybe a year.

Etchy, yes I got your pm, I don't think I'll have this done before the end of July sorry. But I'll ship it when its ready, so stay in touch, I'll cut you a deal on the Sti injectors too if you want.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:36 PM

I'm thinking of building my own system. Still doing research now but I'm leaning toward a T3/T4 setup w/ an external wastegate. I planning on picking up a cheap uppipe and downpipe to hack/modify to fit the turbo in. I'll keep everyone posted as it develops.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Where is my beer?

there are already quite a few companies on the mainland where you can get the uppipe/downpipe for a t3/t4 setup. they just don't seem to advertise as much, .... people always seem to want the simple setups.

Since I bought my first wrx in 01, .... I always kick myself in the butt for selling my integra with the turbo kit on, .... b/c that's the same t3/t4 I would've liked on my rex.

Quick Reply: Serious Impreza Thread