SCCA Pre-registration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
^^^Thanks for the info Diego and SPec...

yeah...

I tell you though...from a spectators point of view...the suspension gets a major workout...Spec, I like your controlled driving style...you really know the limits of your car...Diego...you have plenty kintama going on man...you drive hard...

Those RX-8's handle nicely if that is stock...but then again...we can comfortably carry 4 adults in our cars...

8)

Alright...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Car Info: Sentra SE-R Spec V
im still working on it... i think im actually overdriving it... if i can keep the 3-wheeling motion to a minimum i think id get better times... i need work on slaloms too
Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 AM

yes...I was going to talk to you...

But I didn't want to mess up your concentration...things happen too fast out there to be distracting you...

I saw HaolePino Dave for the first time in like a year...good talking with him...

alright...maybe see you soon.

Originally Posted by shiroikage
Hey Brent,

Sorry that I missed you at the event, did get a glimpse of you as you left. I was the radio person at turn one. I can't speak for the majority, being that I only ran four events so far, but there has been no negatives. Tire wear would be the most for me so far. My car is pretty much stock, so if I wear something out, its and excuse to upgrade Overall, I'd say it's a definite plus coming out to compete and seeing what your car will do and driving your car spiritedly in a controlled environment. Getting to blow off steam once a month also keeps me sane on public roads. But I do like the way the competitive juices flow in my particular class, save for the two dominant RX8s in STU, you can cover the rest of us with one second. I'm still trying to grow more kintama so I can find out the exact limits of my car. My son keeps telling me to stop babying my car, but she is MY baby and we'll get there gradually. In the meantime I'll keep competing as long as there are events at the stadium. Hope to see you on January 28th. Drivers have the option of having a pit-crew member (checkered-band) my son is mine. Perhaps one of the single Scoobie drivers will name you as theirs so you can roam the pits.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Originally Posted by Island Style
Saw you guys make your runs...you guys are crazy man! A few of us (ojichanSTI, Bran808, Tazer, WRXGirl) were there to watch the first and second heats...then we had to go due to the kids getting bored...I drove down with Chris and Sue but had to hang out in the spectator area...

Those 240's and M3's are some handling machines...even that one Silver/Blue Mini was tearing up the course...wow...and the black (3 Wheel) Sentra SE-R...

Not sure though about the wear and tear that gets put on the cars...how has your maintenance costs gone? Through the roof? I can see Tires, Clutch, Brakes, Suspension, Bearings...as the major cost culprits...just curious to know before I decide yay or nay...

Good job...I want to go check it out again...so please post up the next autocross date....
I've been racing Solo for years in many different cars, most recently in my STi. The most wear you will see is on tires. I was able to destroy a set of 070s in about a year. The races are very short in duration so wear and tear on brakes, suspension, drivetrain is minimal. You probably wear out drivetrain parts more doing the stop and go traffic you guys do on Oahu on a daily basis.

If you own a performance car, you owe it to yourself to drive as good as your equipment. Most motorsports enthusiast hate to admit it, but the weak link is usually their driving ability. Guys/gals will spend tens of thousands on the latest gadgets for their car, but won't spend any money and/or time to improve their driving. Solo makes you a better driver. Period.

When I line up next to a competitor, I would rather be the better driver than the one having a better car.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 PM

^^^makes sense...thanks

hmmm...

now to quote Shiroikage: "I need to get some bigger Kintamas"...heh heh

wow...more to think about now.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by Risk3233
I've been racing Solo for years in many different cars, most recently in my STi. The most wear you will see is on tires. I was able to destroy a set of 070s in about a year. The races are very short in duration so wear and tear on brakes, suspension, drivetrain is minimal. You probably wear out drivetrain parts more doing the stop and go traffic you guys do on Oahu on a daily basis.

If you own a performance car, you owe it to yourself to drive as good as your equipment. Most motorsports enthusiast hate to admit it, but the weak link is usually their driving ability. Guys/gals will spend tens of thousands on the latest gadgets for their car, but won't spend any money and/or time to improve their driving. Solo makes you a better driver. Period.

When I line up next to a competitor, I would rather be the better driver than the one having a better car.
what he said...i was worried about all those things, until one day i just said **** it...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by poser
whatever happened to randy??? how come he doesnt come out anymore??? i hope he didnt develop camarophobia...
enjoying the life of a 21 year old....haha...anyways i miss that guy when he gets all salty *****...
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 PM

Car Info: cars
brent - as everyone has said, the most wear will be on your tires, but it's not too bad if you're not driving hard or "spirited" a lot of the time. if you come out to the next one, i'll give you a ride during fun runs.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Thanks Ty...

I will take you up on that...guess I'll keep my eyes out for a set of 17" rota's...

Thanks for all the info everyone...

I noticed also Ty, that your first run was very conservative...then you let loose more and more as you finished your fourth run...very nice technique...

Saw Chris's technique as well, powering out of each corner...everyone has a different way to attack the course...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 PM

the hardest part on the course to me was the sweeper after the second slalom and the right left right after it... i either slowed down too much in the middle of the sweeper and bogged for the next part or downshift after it and spin tires =/.... i wanted an experienced driver to ride with me during fun runs to give me some constructive critisizm but couldn't find anyone nearby
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 AM

^^^I don't know man...

to me, your runs looked pretty smooth...nice driving.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 AM

thanks... you bringing your car out for the next one?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 AM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Originally Posted by Spec Jay
the hardest part on the course to me was the sweeper after the second slalom and the right left right after it... i either slowed down too much in the middle of the sweeper and bogged for the next part or downshift after it and spin tires =/.... i wanted an experienced driver to ride with me during fun runs to give me some constructive critisizm but couldn't find anyone nearby
Without being able to see the course, it sounds like you entered too fast and didn't do enough in the brake zone and at turn-in. Sweepers/hairpins are my weakness also. If you are slowing after apex on a turn, then you did something wrong earlier in the turn. Adjustments shouldn't be made after apex, only acceleration.

Hairpins especially the "slow in...fast out" technique holds very true and placing the car correctly in the identified apex is key.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM

Car Info: cars
Originally Posted by Island Style
I will take you up on that...guess I'll keep my eyes out for a set of 17" rota's...

Thanks for all the info everyone...

I noticed also Ty, that your first run was very conservative...then you let loose more and more as you finished your fourth run...very nice technique...

Saw Chris's technique as well, powering out of each corner...everyone has a different way to attack the course...
actually, i made a lot of mistakes. mis-shifts, bad left foot breaking, and on the 4th run, i got a little too loose. next time around i'll be practicing more and staying for fun runs. i still have to get used to the way the suspension is setup now.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:40 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon, 05 legacy 2.5 gt wagon
what time is the auto cross on the 28th?

Quick Reply: SCCA Pre-registration