View Poll Results: In my position, would you go for it?
I would buy the STI
47.62%
Wait later in my life.
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Sanity Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2004 Silver Jetta TDI
Thumbs up Sanity Opinion

OK guys, I'm really looking at buying Mehlts STI. I'll be 17 in march, and I already got my GED. I'm working 35-40 hours a week construction. Currently making $14/hr. I love the STI, but I don't want to make a rash decision based just on that. What do you guys think about putting myself into around $26,000 debt at my age. I can afford it, not a problem. I've already done all the math, taken all other obligations into account. and I'm still left with money to spend. I'm just wondering from your guy's experience is this a good idea. I'm not looking for someone to make my decision, just an honest opinion.

Thanks

-Evan
Old 12-07-2005, 11:30 AM

Oh, I also wanted to say that personally I don't really like the newer models of the STI, and an older one like this isn't very likely to surface two or three years down the road that has been taken care of, and is in such good condition as this one.

-Evan
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 06 STi...300 Horses Slow
if u like it and u know u can afford it then why not
Old 12-07-2005, 12:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I wouldn't do it.

You're too young to know what will be happening in 2-3 years. Maybe the construction industry will go down again. Maybe you might have to move out on your own.

I say put together a savings for yourself first before going into pretty serious debt at such a young age.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
I would look at

not so much the payment...but the insurance...

I think at your age, the insurance would be in the $2500-$4000 range unless you had an older adult purchase the insurance and have you as a secondary driver...

Check out Geico and Progressive. These two are very similar pricewise for insurance...cheapest I could find without going to a questionable/smaller insurance company.

Brent
Old 12-07-2005, 12:10 PM

The insurance would be under my dads name, just fyi
Old 12-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Smile Very good...^^^^

I know several young adults in your age group with WRX./STI's and they are very responsible, disciplined individuals...

They have helped me numerous times with installs and any other help I may have needed...

but like Blake said...you never know about the future, especially at your age...you may join the Military and get stationed somewhere where you cannot bring your car...etc...don't let your car ever hold you back...you can always get another one...when opportunity arises...be ready to jump on it...
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
insurance isn't always cheap for older people. we pay 240/mo for two cars, and one is not an sti. IMO you need to factor in job stability as well as maintenance on the sti. yes tim has a well taken care of car, but tires and other hidden costs will factor into you everyday maint. costs. just be sure that you can pay for your car even if you are laid off, and need to find a job. buying your dream car isn't everything, but food and a bed are very important. my 2 cents
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
all the sensible people in the world would probably say NO-
but the fact that you are 16, have you GED, and work in construction gives me the idea that you have some serious vision in your life-

while spending that much money on a car is not seemingly advisable at your age.. most of us say that because we never had that opportunity-

if i had the opportunity at your age... i probably would have done it.

more power to you- i say buy it.. if for some reason you cannot afford all that entails in owning it .. sell it. and swallow whatever negative equity you may have-

and tim is not some young punk pounding his car.. i'm sure his car is immaculate-

aloha from the summit of *-^-mauna Kea-^-*

Last edited by gdogg; 12-07-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Just a be a responsible driver! care for others on the road!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
i say have fun while you can......
Old 12-09-2005, 09:52 AM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
Evan: just the fact that you are asking us for our opinion says alot, but i must say that this is probably not the stage in your life to be buying this car...its a great choice, but not the best for you right now. save your money, buy a beater, get your feet on the ground before you blow your savings on a car. i WISH i could be that age again and make some better choices...you have done admirably in asking before buying, if you want to talk further, feel free to myspace/pm me.

as for Tim's car: is is IMMACULATE...he works on the same base i do...that car defines cherry. a great deal for whoever wants it...got the defi gauges on the dash, i think i saw a TT....exhaust, etc...nice ride bro...
Old 12-09-2005, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
I agree and disagree with everybody part of me says fawk it if it's what you want then get it then part of me says save your money buy a cheaper car and get on the road to indapendence. I too wish I could have afforded a car like the STI when I was your age. I have owned a STI and routine maintenance can get expensive so you must factor all that into the equation. But if you do buy it then you are getting a well cared for vehicle with mods that were carefully thought out and I have met with Tim a few times it seems money is not a real object when he buys parts which is good..So I hope you take into consideration what everybody has said but it is up to you in the long run..
Old 12-09-2005, 09:05 PM

I dunno, I'm still just adding things up in my head. It's a really big decision. I do have to say that I'm leaning towards getting it. I'm thinking about going to helicopter flight school in the near future, I can attend it at my age, but I don't think it would be the smart choice because there are tests that you can't take till your 18. I think that if I were to get the STI, I would do my best to pay it off by then, and go to the flight school on big island.

As far as becoming independant, I feel that I am doing the best I can right now, and that getting a car of this price range wouldn't take from that. If anything it will push me to further my career quicker, because I have a reason to go to work other then just a savings. Personally it's too easy for me to want to call in because of being lazy, while when there is something to be payed for it's just not an option.

I have also though of just getting a car to get me by for now, and I think that if I do plan to get a car like this in the future, which I do. It is more cost effective to go for it now, when I don't have to pay for stuff like food and a house. And I would much rather buy a car with the intention of keeping it till it's time is over, then buy a car with the intention of selling it. The value depreciates, and that is money that should've gone towards the car I really want. That's my opinion on it at least.

And thanks for the input guys, it's always good to hear each of your opinions.

-Evan
Old 12-10-2005, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
well good luck, and if you get melts car, hope it shipps to you in tip-top shape!!
my opinion s were based on how i felt being your age, where my wants didn't last for more than a year, and the next i'd be sooner wanting a european car (hell still do)

Quick Reply: Sanity Opinion