Rwd Wrx?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 04 Black Sti
Rwd Wrx?????

would it possible to make a wrx rwd. and if so do i have to upgrade my drive shaft and my rear end? or do i have to up grade more stuff then that?

please take your time to think about this one. any and all well thought imputs will be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon JAVA BLACK PEARL
why did you buy a subaru? thats the real question. there are plenty of wicked rwd cars on the market...supras and gen 3 rx7's to name a few. prolly a lot cheaper/less work/and just as fast. but yeah its possible, it has been done. forgot the name but there is a subaru drift car.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
yes, you would have to upgrade the rear end and driveshaft. do a search for rwd wrx. it's been talked about before. a couple of the guys had all the answers.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
Yukes drift team has a RWD STi....2 in fact....if i'm not mistaken...

www.yukes.co.jp
Old 07-22-2006, 11:25 PM

i have a 04 sti but i was thingking or getting a wrx and making it rwd. the reason for this is because im kinda sick of seeing all the other brands drifting and quite frankly i wanna see a wrx drift in rwd status.

but the most important questions are do i have to upgrade my drive shaft and rear end or will the stock ones hold up on the additional abuse?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by .:: 808 STi ::.
Yukes drift team has a RWD STi....2 in fact....if i'm not mistaken...

www.yukes.co.jp
does any one know the specs of there rwd impreza of is the drive shaft and rear end stock?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:33 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
in order to this you'll have to buy a drift center differential.

DRIFT CENTER DIFF/ TYPE B
Only by exchanging stock center diff for this Drift Center Diff, 4WD will change to FR. Easy to return to 4WD as well (just exchange Drift Center Diff for stock). For GD, GC8 (applied model F-G) and BH 5MT center diff without DCCD.

DRIFT CENTER DIFF/ TYPE B II
Only by exchanging stock center diff for this Drift Center Diff, 4WD will change to FR. Easy to return to 4WD as well (just exchange Drift Center Diff for stock). For GD, GC8 (applied model F-G) and BH 5MT center diff with DCCD.

DRIFT CENTER DIFF/ TYPE C
Only by exchanging stock center diff for this Drift Center Diff, 4WD will change to FR. Easy to return to 4WD as well (just exchange Drift Center Diff for stock). For GD 6MT center diff without DCCD.

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...dle=1&small=19

here is a couple of options

Jon
Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
one of my friends told me someone in hawaii made their STi rwd. personally, i don't see the point. but if that's your thing, more power to ya.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Originally Posted by mokeOne
one of my friends told me someone in hawaii made their STi rwd. personally, i don't see the point. but if that's your thing, more power to ya.
I can think of two points right off the bat. Less power loss due to less drivetrain, and weight reduction. It's not for me, or I'd have bought something else, but there are advantages depending on what your goals are.

San
Old 07-23-2006, 12:47 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon JAVA BLACK PEARL
im sure there is a reason that subaru doesnt frequent the forum of drifting. arent drift cars typically a bit lighter and a bit better balanced? i hate to go back to it but rx7's have a 50/50 weight diff and are prolly 500lbs lighter. will that make a difference if drifting is ur only and ultimate goal? not that im knocking the idea. im all about trying new things. good luck.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:31 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
I don't know crap about drifting, but if flailing your @ss-end around corners is the point, why would 50/50 weight distribution be an advantage? I'd think a light rear end would be where it's at, as long as you can get adequate traction. After you get rid of the front diff, halfshafts, and other parts, the Suby will be quite a bit lighter. Again, I don't know squat about drifting, other than if I ever take it up it'll be with a beater car (the drift cars tend to bounce off walls, guardrails, each other, etc.)

San
Old 07-23-2006, 02:49 AM

Car Info: monster truck
Originally Posted by oldmansan
I don't know crap about drifting, but if flailing your @ss-end around corners is the point, why would 50/50 weight distribution be an advantage? I'd think a light rear end would be where it's at, as long as you can get adequate traction. After you get rid of the front diff, halfshafts, and other parts, the Suby will be quite a bit lighter. Again, I don't know squat about drifting, other than if I ever take it up it'll be with a beater car (the drift cars tend to bounce off walls, guardrails, each other, etc.)

San

lol.... so true... beaters are a must in the world of drifting..

but i thought about doing it to my wagon however i dont make nearly enough power to drift...
Old 07-23-2006, 03:03 AM

thanks guys, much of the info i found pretty interesting, if any one else has any thing to say please do so.

also another question what do i have to remove or install to make it a rwd?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:28 AM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
Smile

Originally Posted by subie_sti
thanks guys, much of the info i found pretty interesting, if any one else has any thing to say please do so.

also another question what do i have to remove or install to make it a rwd?

I think you have to remove your front axles dont know but yeah...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
I'm pretty sure top drift cars are built just as well as top GT cars, so there must be some advantage to having a good chassis. The idea behind drifting is not all about tossing the rear end out, but also about staying in control while out of control. It takes more than some beater to make it look good. After all, drifting matters more about style than speed.

Quick Reply: Rwd Wrx?????