Richie, Tim - What's the verdict on the Ecutek?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Richie, Tim - What's the verdict on the Ecutek?

What do you guys think? I'm looking for different engine management...
Old 03-22-2003, 03:09 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Yeah really Richie all my blood and sweat put into that thing and you dont even tell us if it actually works.

Tim really likes his from what I gather. I think the words "smooth power" come to mind.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Richie told me last night that on the top of 3rd he's getting a lot of knock! He's going to see if he can put back on the stock solenoid so that the ECUTEK can take over the boost!

After we do that then we'll see how it goes!

Jon
Old 03-22-2003, 03:25 PM

Well the ECUtek is tuned for boost to taper down as it reaches redline. So with his EBC, he needs to do the same. Or lessen the boost.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:42 PM

Thumbs up

Very happy with ECUTEK. A few people (vrod, Pat, ?) took my car for a drive at the last install day so they can probably provide additional comments.
Very smooth power delivery and precise control of the stock boost controller. I guess the only downfall is that it can't be tuned, but you can always put in XEDE.
Tim
Old 03-22-2003, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Tremendous smoothness. Now that I know what it feels like, I've been trying to tune for that same smoothness myself.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:49 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Originally posted by teiva-boy
Yeah really Richie all my blood and sweat put into that thing and you dont even tell us if it actually works.

Tim really likes his from what I gather. I think the words "smooth power" come to mind.
hehe...Sorry about that. I didn't know people actually read what I write.

Power delivery is alot smoother, but I still get hesitation. I'm thinking this can be attributed to my spark plugs (after 10,000 miles and "Vishnu Stg1", new, colder plugs are probably in order), and/or the ebc.

At the track, I found that I was trapping 2 mph less, but my et's were exactly the same as they were pre-Ecutek. My short times and 1/8 improved, but I'm finding that I'm on top of the third well before the end now. My lower traps are probably a result of having to shift to 4th now. I'm looking forward to see the results with new plugs and some Toulene in the mix.

Richard and Mitch, you're welcome to drive my car any time. I'd really appreciate the input.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:55 PM

Well the ECUtek is tuned for boost to taper down as it reaches redline. So with his EBC, he needs to do the same. Or lessen the boost.
I did some 3rd gear pulls last night and found that it was tapering near redline. It would build to 1.1 bar and taper to .9 @ ~6K. I wonder if the SBC-ID folks see this too.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:02 AM

Shiv says Ecutek + ebc = bad

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=333296
Old 03-23-2003, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by palaban
Shiv says Ecutek + ebc = bad

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=333296

Well the question is, is .9bar enough of a taper near redline?

I've always had good luck on the stock ECU with 14-15psi then taper down to 12 near redline. Anything more and I wouldnt see any gains and in fact lower trap speeds. But I am not too familiar with what Shiv does to timing retard in the reflash.

You can always throw in a little octane booster and see what happens...
Old 03-23-2003, 02:16 AM

I like mine. It's fast and smooth.

I just put on samco turbo inlet/intercooler hoses...niiiiice!

Ask me questions, if you like. I'm doing some logs tomorrow, let me know if you want to see anything in particular.

Will
Old 03-23-2003, 05:59 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Well the question is, is .9bar enough of a taper near redline?
I've always had good luck on the stock ECU with 14-15psi then taper down to 12 near redline. Anything more and I wouldnt see any gains and in fact lower trap speeds. But I am not too familiar with what Shiv does to timing retard in the reflash.
Attached is a JPEG of boost and a/f ratio plots during my dyno tuning and re-flash runs at Vishnu. The reddish and black lines are the tuned dyno pulls, while the green and dark blue lines are the stock baseline pulls. Keep in mind that this was specific to my car and the same settings may be completely wrong for a car with more mods (I only have up-pipe). I would have asked for more plotted graphs of other measured functions but Shiv was really busy that day and I didn't want to hold up the folks waiting patiently for their turn on the rollers.

Shiv likes the factory boost control because it has a wide margin of safety for a street vehicle running on pump gas. On dyno day a few weeks ago, he also supplied all of the guys getting a re-flash with what CupertinoSteve referred to as a 'fangle' - a black plastic connector replacing the factory restrictor in the boost control vacuum line. It looks like a 3/16" connector with a tiny bleed hole in the center. Shiv says that it helps achieve smoother boost control (I forget the specifics). Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera, nor a scanner to show you what it looks like, but it's pretty much as I've described it.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-23-2003, 01:02 PM

Thanks Wingless Wonder on that chart. It's amazing how conservative Shiv is with boost.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Thanks Wingless Wonder on that chart. It's amazing how conservative Shiv is with boost.
Shiv told me he only added 1 lb of peak boost to what the factory setup already put out. He spent quite a bit of time optimizing the other things (i.e. spark and fuel, I guess). He found 34 peak whp over my baseline and broadened the torque curve. I'm pleased with the gain.

The downside was that my car baselined at the very low end (I'd rather not say how much) of all stock WRXs he has tested, which means that no matter what mods I add in the future, it will consistently put out less power relative to most other WRXs similarly modified. It's just luck of the draw, I guess.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-23-2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
[B][size=1]Originally posted by teiva-boy
[B][color=purple]

The downside was that my car baselined at the very low end (I'd rather not say how much) of all stock WRXs he has tested, which means that no matter what mods I add in the future, it will consistently put out less power relative to most other WRXs similarly modified. It's just luck of the draw, I guess.

It's okay because your A-OK in my book.

Quick Reply: Richie, Tim - What's the verdict on the Ecutek?