Richard Burns back to Subaru!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Richard Burns back to Subaru!

HOLY SMOKES! When did this happen?!?!!? AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

Richard Burns is returning to Subaru, the team with which he won the 2001 World Championship.

Burns has inked a two-year deal with Subaru and will rejoin the team for the start of the 2004 campaign. The deal was announced just hours after current Subaru driver Tommi Makinen announced that he will retire at the end of the season.

“Subaru is the team I’ve had the most success with,” said Burns, “ and I’m really looking forward to being part of it again.”

The 32-year-old Englishman left Subaru immediately after clinching the 2001 title, to go to Peugeot. Since then he has failed to win a rally, though he is nevertheless leading the 2003 points chase by a fair margin.

Subaru team principal David Lapworth reckons he’s put together a good squad. “Richard and Petter are two of the most exciting drivers out there,” he said, “and with both of them driving for Subaru I believe our line-up is second to none.”

Burns joins Petter Solberg in the Prodrive-run squad and there will be an interesting contest to see which of the two emerges as the more competitive. Burns held the upper hand over Solberg when the pair were team-mates during Burns’ first stint at Subaru. The team, however, says the two drivers will be on equal footing next season.

Solberg pipped Burns in a last-stage shoot-out for second place on the Rally Finland just over a week ago.

For the moment though Burns says his mind is on the present. “My focus is the current season,” he said, “there’s still a long way to go and I’ll continue to push 100% for the 2003 title.”
http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/0...urnsSubaru.htm
Old 08-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Pr0n King

On a less enthusiastic note I guess Tommi Makinen is retiring.

Four-time World Champion Tommi Makinen has decided to retire from the sport at the end of the year. Makinen's career has spanned 16 years and resulted in 24 wins to date.

"It's a decision I haven't made lightly," said Makinen. "Picking the right time to stop isn't easy, but I'm happy with what I've achieved in the WRC, and I've been lucky to drive for two excellent teams.

“Realistically, there isn't really much for me to gain by carrying on at this level and my thinking is that it's better to stop when you're at the top. Also, with so much change planned in the WRC over the coming seasons, I feel this is the end of an era, and a good time for me to step down.

“I'm sure it's going to seem a bit strange next January, but I've never seemed to have enough time for family, my farm and my hobbies, so I'm looking forward to spending more time at home in Finland. Perhaps there'll be the chance for some more driving in the future, who knows, maybe one or two rally raids, that sort of thing, you should never say never, but the 2003 Championship will be my last at this level."

Makinen's last rally will be the Rally GB from November 7-9, but the Finn has pledged to maximise his efforts over the five remaining World Championship rounds.

Subaru team Principal David Lapworth commented: "I'm sure this was a very difficult decision for Tommi to take, he's had an incredibly successful career, even after four World Titles he remains highly motivated and fiercely competitive.

“Tommi's one of the best-known and most respected drivers in the WRC and it's been an absolute pleasure to work with him for the past two seasons. In particular, the way that he and Petter work together stands out - theirs is one of the most constructive and successful driver pairings I can remember."

© Copyright wrc.com
http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/0...ommiRetire.htm
Old 08-19-2003, 01:15 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Woooooohooooooo Burns and Solberg = pwn Peugeot.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:19 AM
Pr0n King

Ford and Citroen are worrisome too. Wow.

Looks like Colin Mcrae is going to be looking for a new ride as well. I was wondering if he was going back to Suby. I guess not. I wonder where he'll end up?!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
wooo WOOOOOOO!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:05 AM
Pr0n King

How cool would it be if Richard wins the 2003 WRC title and then ends up running the #1 number on his Subaru next year? Is that how it works?
Old 08-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Attached Thumbnails Richard Burns back to Subaru!-mvc-019s.jpg  
Old 08-19-2003, 02:21 AM
Pr0n King

Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
hot damn! i'm glad to hear that Burns is going to be back with Subaru for the 2004 season. he's done a commendable job over at Peugot playing second fiddle to Gronholm and getting used to a very differant car. if he can hop back in the Subaru and challenge the front runners next year, i for one will be glad to see it.

it's too bad to hear that Makinen is retiring. i really like Tommi, and i think he is one of the all time great rally drivers out there. i was hoping he might be headed back to Mitsubishi for 2004, but i can completely understand his decision to retire. maybe speed can get him a microphone and he and Nicky Grist can call the rallys next year!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Pr0n King

Makinen would make a great straightman to Nicky's color. Neat idea!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:02 PM

that's exactly what i was thinking. Makinen would kinda have to get used to speaking english a little bit, but i think once he did it would be awesome. having an announcing team consisting of an ex-world champion driver and co-driver would really give people a new perspective on rallying.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Pr0n King

What if Colin McRae were to go to Mitsubishi for 2004 and take Grist back as his co-driver? That would be interesting!
Old 08-19-2003, 03:37 PM

i don't think that Grist will be getting back into a rally car with McRae. Grist and McRae were together for a while, and McRae's decision to drop him and work with Derek Ringer has probably ended their working relationship together. when the move was made, it looked to me like Colin was trying to blame his mistakes on Nicky, but switching to Ringer didn't improve his peformances. i think McRae will be lucky to get a ride next year.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:54 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
Makinen can't do broadcasting in the U.S. because he can't put together a sentence in English, and when he does it's pretty boring. Plus, with his luck over the last couple of years his microphone would most likely break halfway into the broadcast. Burns will bring some much-needed consistency to the team, but Petter is the one to watch. I like Colin McRae, but he should really be a little more cautious. I think his "win or crash" style might cause him a seat next year. Gilles Panizzi is also leaving Peugot for Mitsubishi next year.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:56 PM

i think that with a little practice Makinen would be able broadcast alongside Nicky. his english isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of the population here. 'sides, WRC isn't exactly something that Joe Average tunes into. the people watching would a) know who Tommi is b) that english isn't his native language and c) what he did to deserve sitting there in the broadcast booth. you're right about his luck being pretty bad though, they'd have to be extra careful with his microphone.

Burns is dead consistant, and i'm sure that his position on the SWRT will help them out in the mnufacturer's points race. Solberg is definitely fast when he is on, and has been getting better at not cracking under pressure. while i wouldn't say that he is *the one* to watch next year, he is definitely someone to keep an eye on. like Nicky Grist is so fond of saying, he and Martin are going to be the front runners of the future.

don't get my wrong here, i'm not trying to verbally beat on McRae here. he is a very talented driver, but he is also a win it or bin it man. while the speed and talent is attractive to teams, the prospect of destroying a car every other race isn't. if he could just work out some of the issues he has had the past two to three years with not finishing rallies due to HUGE crashes, he'd be a much hotter commodity -- and quite possibly in the race for a championship.

where did you hear that Panizzi is hooked up with Mitsubishi for next year? i was just on http://www.wrc.com this morning and didn't see anything about it. the though of him in a brand new and hopefully competative Lancer should make every paved road in the WRC tremble...

Quick Reply: Richard Burns back to Subaru!