Relocation Questions, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 09:55 AM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
My Dad has asthma and some lung problems and the humidity in Saipan wasnt good for him at all. Atleast Hawaii is better, but coming from the mainland the humidity will probably be worse in Hawaii. Something to consider. He is there now and says its definitely do-able. I would think drier weather would be best with lung issues, but what do I know...

I know 3-4 couples from the past who moved to Hawaii and ended up moving off after a year or so. I guess its about balancing quality of life living there with nice weather and the ocean against having lotsa cash in the bank. Buy a house there for $350k which you could get most places in the mainland for less then $200k.

If my Dad didnt live there I wouldnt consider coming, but its worth a try. Heck dont know til you give it a shot. My wife is a makor optimist which hopefully will balance out my slightly pessimistic attitude...
Old 01-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Angry

Originally posted by IS2Scooby
Plus you're going to ship your car here and it'll be .3-.5 slower in the 1/4.
Yep!
Old 01-25-2003, 11:00 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Might as well throw my two cents in:

I have two jobs and I find that the cost of living here takes a big chunk of it. I haven't done anything to my car in months and thats because for me its very hard to save up. Electricity runs me about 80 bucks a month, cable is 110, cell phone+house phone is 80, housing is 800. I just finished paying off the rex so I get one less bill finally but you have to remember the cost of food. Its pretty high here. A loaf of bread is 2 dollars, a gallon of milk is 5, etc etc.

I lived in San Fran also before and I actually think Hawaii is a very nice place to live in. People here actually live healthier and longer. I can't say anything for the public school system though because I graduated from St Louis and been in private schools for 90% of my life.

I've met alot of people who moved here from the mainland and most of them moved back within a year. Cost of living is much too expensive here for most.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:06 AM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Being a "lifer" here, Id have to say to live in Kaneohe. But get a house with a lot of room as you will find that there are a lot of people that will want to hang out and have "install" parties here.

-scu
Old 01-26-2003, 01:51 AM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Originally posted by BoOm
A loaf of bread is 2 dollars, a gallon of milk is 5, etc etc.
dude ask someone here thats in the military to take you food shopping a loaf of bread is like 1.50 and i think i just paid $3 for a gallon of milk =)
Old 01-26-2003, 01:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Or spring for the $30-40 and get a Costco Membership. I have access to the Military Comissary, and I have a Costco card. I'm a total bargain shopper, and Costco has better cuts of steak... Mmm... STEAK. For the SUPERBOWL!
Old 01-26-2003, 02:33 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Originally posted by Scubaru
Being a "lifer" here, Id have to say to live in Kaneohe. But get a house with a lot of room as you will find that there are a lot of people that will want to hang out and have "install" parties here.

-scu
hey! Install parties!!
Old 01-26-2003, 04:29 AM

re:schools

there are some public elementary schools that are passable, but you either have to live in their district or get a district exemption (which will allow your kids to attend a school outside your assigned area) which usually have wait lists, and can mean some pretty hellish morning commutes. These schools (surprise surprise) tend to be in more expensive areas to live in.

If you are gonna move here, your kids are still young enough to fit in: but it will be a culture shock at first. I think the difference between a good public elementary school and a good private one is not worth the money. But you gotta find a good one first. Save up your money for private school for 7-12th grades.

Sorry if this all is confusing, hope it helps a little

WillRX
Old 01-26-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Nolimit
hey! Install parties!!
Dammit, are STi guys not going to be invitied? Not to run it in, but we wont have much to install... =) Poor us...
Old 01-26-2003, 12:41 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
No, we get to sit back and drink beer and eat BBQ!
Old 01-26-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Rexstang
No, we get to sit back and drink beer and eat BBQ!
Amen to that!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:52 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Originally posted by SubaruPlanetCom
We'd have to close our tax deferred savings and 401K retirement to get a $40,000 10%downpayment. Is it worth it?
imo, No!

Originally posted by SubaruPlanetCom
How much take home income would an average family of 5 need to live in HI anyways?
A Lot to live very comfortably.(not much help on the numbers though)
Old 01-27-2003, 01:58 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
my family of four(me,sis,parents)...about 4k a month of income at least.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:12 AM

Car Info: Justy
With all this talk about relocating...

Looks like I am going to be to be looking for a new place to live. I just got word today that the land lord, is cutting the lease on our rental short so that they can, fix the roof of the house. Not sure how much work needs to be done to it, but I have until the 28th of feb to find a new place. My roommate and I are going to start looking.

More than likely the new place the rent will be higher, the part that is I find most irritating is the whole moving part...

argh!

Quick Reply: Relocation Questions, Please Help