recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX STi
recommendations

So now that im officially a subie owner (see avatar), i would like some experienced opinions/recommendations on what would be good things to upgrade, i.e. BOV, intake, etc. and where i could buy them (sites and/or local stores that you recommend)

ill probably try and host an installer party too since im a noob at installing. thanks for the help guys
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Xen

Car Info: DDP
im on the same boat as you...upgrade turbo maybe? coz i was thinking on getting a vf34, along with the necessary parts ( ‎565cc sti pinks, fuel pump, exhaust, engine management)

someone enlighten me
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
did you buy alans car? also if not did you buy a modded car or stock car? if you dont know post up some engine bay pics and better pics of the car.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Lakerfan808, sounds like you want to go stage 2...I think you should state your goals and then you'll likely get more response.
Xen, I have this setup in my wrx...you should probably state what your goal is also. If you're not looking for high end and want quick spool fun around town, that's the way to go...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
I say invest in learning your car. Hold off on BOVs. Get a simple K&N drop in panel filter for now. Your setup is already pretty good. Try AutoXing it once and you'll see that even a stock STi is beyond most of our capabilities. Your turboback, sways/endlinks, strut tower bars are already a solid start. If anything, upgrade those tires. At this point, they're your limiting factor.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
If by some grace of god you found an un-modded STi, leave the motor stock. Upgrade suspension, stiffness ( braces, strut bars, etc ), and tires, and call it a day.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Xen

Car Info: DDP
if only i had an sti.... :'(
Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
I got some parts coming off later this week. Let me know if you are interested in any of the stuff in the link below.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-classifieds-97/testing-waters-complete-turbo-setup-222377/
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
if any of you guys want a cobb apv2 for the sti or 2.5l wrx hit me up. ill do 450 shipped to hawaii!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
did you buy alans car? also if not did you buy a modded car or stock car? if you dont know post up some engine bay pics and better pics of the car.
yes i did actually. mostly stock, with the addition of divorced wastegate downpipe, exhaust, cobb app v2

Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
Lakerfan808, sounds like you want to go stage 2...I think you should state your goals and then you'll likely get more response.
Xen, I have this setup in my wrx...you should probably state what your goal is also. If you're not looking for high end and want quick spool fun around town, that's the way to go...
basically what i want to do is to have a little fun with it, but it is my daily driver so i have to stay somewhat practical. i did have some plans on adding a blowoff valve, short ram intake, and idk what else but i could use some suggestions to increase overall performance
Old 09-07-2010, 04:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by lakerfan808
yes i did actually. mostly stock, with the addition of divorced wastegate downpipe, exhaust, cobb app v2

basically what i want to do is to have a little fun with it, but it is my daily driver so i have to stay somewhat practical. i did have some plans on adding a blowoff valve, short ram intake, and idk what else but i could use some suggestions to increase overall performance
no performance gains to be had from a blow off valve. I have actually ran my stock bypass valve for over 7 years with no problems and thats with a turbo upgrade. but of course if you want the cool sound go ahead blow your money on something that has no performance gains.

as for the intake you are going to want to get a tune to have the MAF scaled correctly. personally i would stick with a nice free flowing panel filter, remove the snorkel if you haven't already, and get a tune when one of the tuners come to town. you will save about $100-$150 by not getting an intake. this will be your best bang for your buck if all you want is a little more out of the car with out upgrading your turbo.

hope this helps.....
Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sneezerboi
I say invest in learning your car. Hold off on BOVs. Get a simple K&N drop in panel filter for now. Your setup is already pretty good. Try AutoXing it once and you'll see that even a stock STi is beyond most of our capabilities. Your turboback, sways/endlinks, strut tower bars are already a solid start. If anything, upgrade those tires. At this point, they're your limiting factor.
point well taken. thanks josh. just got the mod-fever and im all excited to do something to/with my car. haha. any open lots you can think of where i can drive around unbothered?

Originally Posted by Krang
If by some grace of god you found an un-modded STi, leave the motor stock. Upgrade suspension, stiffness ( braces, strut bars, etc ), and tires, and call it a day.
okay, so i got +2 on tires.

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
no performance gains to be had from a blow off valve. I have actually ran my stock bypass valve for over 7 years with no problems and thats with a turbo upgrade. but of course if you want the cool sound go ahead blow your money on something that has no performance gains.

as for the intake you are going to want to get a tune to have the MAF scaled correctly. personally i would stick with a nice free flowing panel filter, remove the snorkel if you haven't already, and get a tune when one of the tuners come to town. you will save about $100-$150 by not getting an intake. this will be your best bang for your buck if all you want is a little more out of the car with out upgrading your turbo.

hope this helps.....
thanks, that was a big help. i know what you mean, did pretty much want it for the sound but looks like i could be spending my money elsewhere. i gotta remove the snorkel still yet. where can i get a good panel filter?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM

so basically what im going to do is (in no particular order):
1. research for new tires
2. put in a panel filter
3. remove snorkel
4. practice, practice, practice

UPDATE:
I just got off the phone with servco subaru and they told me i need to do the 30,000mi maintenance (fluid changes, spark plugs) so i need to do that. that will cost $700+ so if i can get help on that then that would be great. of course i got the beer and food :thumbsup:

plus my parking light is out. need to replace that.

Last edited by lakerfan808; 09-07-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Hmm...all good info here. Try to be a member of the stock motor modded driver club first. It is a good feeling spanking people with nothing in your car but you. I have driven cars with no power and managed to beat those with 3x my power.

But if you want the car show thing(or bling) then yeah that's modding sky-limits.

I would recommend a boost controller so you can dial-up max horsepower, and the B.O.V. to match for the "meanest" car on your block.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:04 PM

last thing i can think of.

i want to do some aesthetic changes to my car as well so feedback on how to do it would be much appreciated:

1. looking to sell my gold bbs rims for some black ones.
2. was going to buy some gunmetal/black-ish headlight and tail light housing but found out i could just paint them. much more cost efficient imo

Quick Reply: recommendations