Rebuilding or purchasing new Cusco strut

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 AM

Car Info: 99 Forester L
Rebuilding or purchasing new Cusco strut

Recently purchased a set of Cusco Zero-1 coilovers from a member on here but come to find out after better inspection that the L/F coilover is completely blown. (I know I was stupid and excited and didn't even think about inspecting them at time of transaction.) I let the seller know the next day when I pulled them out of my trunk but didn't offer to help me in anyway so I figured I'm screwed with this set. After a LONG time of Googling on these struts, they look like they are damn near impossible to get rebuilt or even get a replacement strut.

I'm HOPING there is someway I can get this one rebuilt or replaced and Google just isn't giving me any answers and there may be updates I'm missing since most the threads I'm finding are very old.

PLEASE HELP ME if you have any info on how I can get this one or all 4 rebuilt or replaced without spending $2300 on a new set. Or basically did I get tricked into wasting $450. Yes I understand I messed up and lesson learned the hard way. Hoping I can semi ease the pain.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Contact Us
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Of course of all my searches, there was none of Cusco USA........All I found were threads of how there was no USA support. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Just an update, called Cusco. Said unable to be rebuilt and discontinued. I'd have to buy 2 new front struts to convert to the Type S which is $1k for both the fronts.

Thanks to the seller who ripped me off and swears there was no clunking even though 3 corners clunk constantly. Won't put you on blast but you know who you are.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Mixing and matching coilovers is not the best idea in the world. It can create instability issues. I'd try to get your money back and start with something different. When it comes to buying used coilovers, I would go in expecting to have to rebuild all 4.

Last edited by Brfatal; 11-04-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 AM

Car Info: grandmas car
whoever sold them to you should give you your money back. if not, post sn so we know who to avoid. thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Contact these guys: fealsuspension.com - Contact Us

I'm willing to bet that they will rebuild anything for you. If it can be rebuilt Odi can do it. If you have an option to re-valve for the springrates you are running I highly suggest that also.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Originally Posted by Krang
Contact these guys: fealsuspension.com - Contact Us

I'm willing to bet that they will rebuild anything for you. If it can be rebuilt Odi can do it. If you have an option to re-valve for the springrates you are running I highly suggest that also.
They don't rebuild Cusco's

From their site:
We Rebuild:
Hot Bits, DMS, Stance, KW V2-V3 and clubsport, Ohlins, H&R, Bilstein, BC Racing, Megan, DGR, Ksport, ISC, WATOP, Powered by MAX, Fortune Auto, DG-5, Buddy Club, AST, Whiteline, D2, J2 Engineering, Non inverted JIC, Non inverted HKS, Non inverted Zeal, B&G, Godspeed Mono RS, Apexi, HSD, ... call for more.

We DO NOT rebuild (wear parts do not exist):
Tein, Cusco, Kei Office, Inverted type HKS, Inverted type JIC, GAB, Tanabe, Koni, ST, Function and Form.

Their coilover kit is pretty decently priced: http://www.rallyracingsuspension.com/page16.php

Last edited by Deraj_53; 11-04-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Well damn! I didn't dig too deep, but ohhhhhh well!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Mixing and matching coilovers is not the best idea in the world. It can create instability issues. I'd try to get your money back and start with something different. When it comes to buying used coilovers, I would go in expecting to have to rebuild all 4.
I didn't plan to go in rebuilding all four but its not like I expected these to last me 3 or 4 years. Was hoping for atleast a year. Not completely screwed from the get go.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
whoever sold them to you should give you your money back. if not, post sn so we know who to avoid. thanks
I've basically hinted 3 times at him for a refund but he says that there was nothing wrong with them on his car and all the other issues I was slowly finding when installing them he was just shoving off answers. He even pointed me towards the person HE bought em from like he had no responsibility for it. Coilovers were picked up late at night so it was hard to see them. Should've realized it was a fishy when him and his friend offered to load them into my car for me. It was late so I got home, went to bed and didn't even look at the coils till the next afternoon. I messaged him about the blown strut immediately and the only response I got was "Sorry I didnt know" even though the strut has complete free play in it. Can't even support the weight of the spring on it when flipped upside down....I wouldve noticed had I loaded them myself...Basically tricked for $450
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
call nukabe 888-591-6277 they will pretty much replace the "cartridge" i believe it runs about $200.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by ChrisChhorn
I've basically hinted 3 times at him for a refund but he says that there was nothing wrong with them on his car and all the other issues I was slowly finding when installing them he was just shoving off answers. He even pointed me towards the person HE bought em from like he had no responsibility for it. Coilovers were picked up late at night so it was hard to see them. Should've realized it was a fishy when him and his friend offered to load them into my car for me. It was late so I got home, went to bed and didn't even look at the coils till the next afternoon. I messaged him about the blown strut immediately and the only response I got was "Sorry I didnt know" even though the strut has complete free play in it. Can't even support the weight of the spring on it when flipped upside down....I wouldve noticed had I loaded them myself...Basically tricked for $450
that sucks........i myself have been a victim of crappy parts from people on here also......hope you get your money back, sounds like someone knowingly sold you those useless paperweights.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Thats a shame, leave them negative feedback.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 PM

Car Info: your gf's scooby
+1 for the one that mentioned the Feals. Odi worked on mine personally for the camber adjustment on the tophats. I've never heard of anyone using Cusco coilover's but live and learn.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding or purchasing new Cusco strut