Rattling noise from front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Rattling noise from front suspension

I did a search on the various Subie forums and didn’t find anything conclusive; also, though I’m fairly comfortable with engine work, I know pretty much zero about suspension, so I have no background for this type of problem.

Anyhow, my car has around 66k miles on it and in the last few thousand miles I’ve noticed a rattling sound coming from the front of the car. It’s a rattling, clunking noise, like something loose, that I hear when I run over rough pavement. It doesn’t seem to be affecting the handling nor do I notice anything through the steering. It also seems to have gotten worse over time, but that could just be my imagination.

Based upon this simple description, is there something obvious that I should fix or look at? If not, what suspension components should I check and how would I know if I have a problem? Could any of these potential problems lead to sudden and/or catastrophic failure if not addressed? Thanks, as always, for your time and advice.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
I had something like this on another car, took me forever to find - A hard fuel line had popped out of a clip on the firewall and was rattling when over rough pavement but of course it didn't look out of place when looking in the engine bay... though this won't be the answer you want, definitely finger trace all lines running from firewall to motor and anything along a body panel in the engine bay to see if it's come loose or missing a clip.

It's hard to diagnose w/o hearing it in person but does it sound like it's coming from a specific corner? is the rattle intermittent or constant at speed? does it sound like metal or plastic oscillating - and you mention clunking, does it clunk a few times in unison with the bumps you travel over?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
does it make the noise when on the brakes? It could be a pad.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
i get a similar noise from the front right of my car.. granted i have a torn axle boot but i doubt thats the reason, ive had lowering springs on my car w/ stock struts for about 50k and i think thats the culprit(wearing down the ball joint or other bushings etc.), i've heard a few other similar scenarios, i get clunks all the time as well on my 05 and i know of many others

can you describe the noise more? more of a clunk or a clicking?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
Jack it up and start beating on things with a hammer. Check your sways and endlinks first. That's probably where half the rattles come from.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
When I was working on this ford earlier a part of engine removal was loosening the top nut on the strut. Dunno why but manual said to so I did. I forgot to tighten this when finished and heard a rattle/klunk. Tightened it back up. Noise went away. CAREFUL as if in the center of the nut is an Allen spot you are supposed to prevent that from spinning when you tighten it.

If they are coilovers mine had a rubber spacer that degraded and came out this causing clunky/ rattle.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll jack up the car and look around to see if there is anything obviously loose.

The noise happens when the road is really rough, so the suspension is bouncing up and down a lot, during a steady cruise, not under braking. The worst is when I leave my house in Village Park, the main road through there is all bus' up and the suspension rattles quite a bit. Sounds like someone shaking a box of rocks when it's really bad. Not really a sharp metallic sound, more like a damped metallic sound, if that makes sense.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
Originally Posted by Ross
Not really a sharp metallic sound, more like a damped metallic sound, if that makes sense.
loose fusebox or similar? depending on the sound you can imagine the size of the object banging around... box of rocks makes me think strut top hat bushing (if there is one - on my cusco camber plates there was a bushing at the top that only make noise when the strut was really flexing at speed)
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
I'm with Bushflyr, add "endlinks" for things to check first. The stock ones give out and start causing all kinds of noise.
Top hats also could be dried up and making noise as well. Which makes sense when it's only in "rough" spots.
Best of luck, that can be a maddening task.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Car Info: S14
Originally Posted by sigterm
I'm with Bushflyr, add "endlinks" for things to check first. The stock ones give out and start causing all kinds of noise.
Top hats also could be dried up and making noise as well. Which makes sense when it's only in "rough" spots.
Best of luck, that can be a maddening task.
Mines was simular, it was my end link bushing which decided to come off
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
sounds like it could also be a dead shock
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by corytomo
sounds like it could also be a dead shock
How would I tell if that's the problem?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM

Update: I tightened the top strut nut the best that I could using a pass-through socket set (like the one pictured below) and an Allen-head socket on a breaker bar. I also tightened the nuts on the strut tower as well as the nuts/bolts on my 3-piece strut tower brace. I then jacked up the car and shook the tires and visually examined the suspension, but there was nothing that looked broken or loose. I tried shaking various suspension bits, but nothing moved or wiggled. I did notice that my oil pan drain bolt was a little loose, so it wasn't a total loss.

Anyhow, the front suspension is still rattling/clunking over really rough pavement, any other suggestions?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
you should also look into the strut bearing/ upper strut mount....
check your wheel bearings?

Last edited by houdni; 07-31-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Skate shop time! What ABEC are we on these days? When I used to skate we were on 7.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise from front suspension