Question for you lucky guys in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 AM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Relax guys. He just wants to show that his car is 50 state legally safe on US roads. Guam, PR, and VI will fail him, however.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:08 AM

Car Info: 2013 WRB GVF STi
Originally Posted by BoOm
fyi: it is very difficult to scrape one off if you can find it. however, you can use a razor and delicately remove it. they are designed to break apart.
Yea... use a razor. When I was working at a mechanic shop, I did a lot of expired safety check sticker peeling. Eventually, I got pretty good at taking it off without having it break apart nor scratching the bumper paint.

BTW, I believe Texas also requires safety check... just not recon.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Haha. Thanks for the responses guys. I actually thought it was on a small bracket of some kind, not just a sticker. I wanted the bracket.
My plan was to have a bunch fabbed from aluminum and then add our local "clubs" logo to them for shows and stuff.

I saw them in Kauai and just thought that'd be something different to do here in Cali.

So safety check huh? Is that like our shi**y CARB requirement here in Cali? That really sucks if it is.

Anyway, enjoy your weather and thanks!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx [enter name here]
Originally Posted by grambo
Haha. Thanks for the responses guys. I actually thought it was on a small bracket of some kind, not just a sticker. I wanted the bracket.
My plan was to have a bunch fabbed from aluminum and then add our local "clubs" logo to them for shows and stuff.

I saw them in Kauai and just thought that'd be something different to do here in Cali.

So safety check huh? Is that like our shi**y CARB requirement here in Cali? That really sucks if it is.

Anyway, enjoy your weather and thanks!
ahhh ok you just wanted the fabricated plate ok makes sense and as for cali when i lived there unless they have changed things, its just emmission check right? here its everything but that and any changes done to your car you "have" to document it...ie: suspension, exhaust, they make crap up...you know how cops act.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 14 m235i
Thread Jack:

Can I rip mines off when I take my car to the mainland? It'll be registered in Hawaii til I get residency so I'm wondering if I still have to run the stickers.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 03wrx46
ahhh ok you just wanted the fabricated plate ok makes sense and as for cali when i lived there unless they have changed things, its just emmission check right? here its everything but that and any changes done to your car you "have" to document it...ie: suspension, exhaust, they make crap up...you know how cops act.
So there is a little plate huh? I must hunt the interweb. Thanks!

California is HORRIBLE! Be glad you just have the checks you have. ANY modifications to your motor fall under "Modified Emissions Violations". If a cop pops your hood here and tags you for an intake, DP, exhaust, etc, you get to go to court after seeing a "smog referee". You must prove the car has not been modified, which means you go back to stock before your ref visit. Then you go to court and still pay a fine. My last ticket was $898.00 for mods on my motor. They dinged me for each mod the cop wrote up, even after going back to stock. Straight *****...

Originally Posted by steak
Thread Jack:

Can I rip mines off when I take my car to the mainland? It'll be registered in Hawaii til I get residency so I'm wondering if I still have to run the stickers.
Yes, but if you bring your car here it will have to pass an electronic smog check and a visual. ANY mods will be a violation and you won't be able to register your car. (Thats in Commiefornia.) Anywhere outside Cali and you pretty-much have free reign depending on the state. Places like the Bay Area, San Diego/LA, and Sacramento, the cops hunt for our cars like crackheads lookig for rocks.
In Nevada you could run a straight pipe off your turbo straight out of your hood if you wanted.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Okay, the interweb sucks. Does anyone know of a rotting Toyota pickup somewhere with the bracket on it? We can discuss payment and shipping when you PM me.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 2002 POS
they actually sale the brackets in some stores here in Hawaii. You can put anything on it.

SOMG check sucks....I hope if i ever move back to Cali that I am going to keep my car registered in Hawaii. Someway, Somehow.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 14 m235i
I wish I could worry about smog because that would mean I modified my car. Engine is completely stock except the SPT turbo Heat Shield. I only have boost gauge, mud flaps, and stickers.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Wrx
i made my bracket out of an old heatshield. ripped it off a customers car ( most of it was falling off) cut out the good part, and sanded polished it! bent a 90-angle at the end, punched some holes, and voila! take that razor racing 19.95 bracket!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 POS
^^^^^Great DIY...Razor is a ripoff
Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
LOLz, Razor, that place...

But seriously, the difference between Smog Check and Recon/Safety Check is a give-and-take. In CA, sure you can't have any emission-modifying smog mods (I passed honestly with a catback though), but you can modify your suspension up the yin-yang and nobody cares. In HI, you can have sports cats but suspension modifications are a PAIN. Like I said, it's a give and take.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 AM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
Originally Posted by houdni
guess you have a really good friend...because they dont just give it out to just normal friends...

I can get you a sticker as soon as i go back to the shop in mid jan...currently on orders...
i'll have safety stickers by christmas, but thanks for the offer. however, i can be your really good friend for a recon sticker.

actually, i'll probably return it to stock and sell before leaving the island next november.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by lcjarrett
they actually sale the brackets in some stores here in Hawaii. You can put anything on it.

SOMG check sucks....I hope if i ever move back to Cali that I am going to keep my car registered in Hawaii. Someway, Somehow.
Do these stores have websites?

Originally Posted by steak
I wish I could worry about smog because that would mean I modified my car. Engine is completely stock except the SPT turbo Heat Shield. I only have boost gauge, mud flaps, and stickers.
haha. A stock Subie is still a super capable road car.

Originally Posted by AMLIBERATOR
i made my bracket out of an old heatshield. ripped it off a customers car ( most of it was falling off) cut out the good part, and sanded polished it! bent a 90-angle at the end, punched some holes, and voila! take that razor racing 19.95 bracket!
Thats cool. But, I want to get the size right...also the placement.

Originally Posted by lcjarrett
^^^^^Great DIY...Razor is a ripoff
Razor...I will check them out. I live in Cali. I am used to being ripped off..lolz

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
LOLz, Razor, that place...

But seriously, the difference between Smog Check and Recon/Safety Check is a give-and-take. In CA, sure you can't have any emission-modifying smog mods (I passed honestly with a catback though), but you can modify your suspension up the yin-yang and nobody cares. In HI, you can have sports cats but suspension modifications are a PAIN. Like I said, it's a give and take.
Man, that sucks. And you are darn right. I guees you get to pick the lesser of two evils in these cases.
Its like comparing that POS Super-Ferry to some of the crap we deal with in Cali.....like our F'd up economy and broke school system....
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Found this during my search. Its off of Yoshi"s drift AE86. I guess Tokyo Drive made a parody sticker for him. I guess I'm jumpin on his bandwagon. Its all good.
Name:  HawaiiJDMINspectionSticker.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  27.1 KB

Quick Reply: Question for you lucky guys in Hawaii