Question for new car buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:14 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi, CGM
Question Question for new car buyers?

Hello all,

How long after you bought a new car did you have to wait to get your registration and tags? The reason why I ask is becuase I bought a new 2005 STi from 5-Star some time during the second week of March. Now, I was told by the ... person I bought the car from it will take 4 to 6 weeks. I thought it was quicker than that... But oh well. But as of today (30 April), nothing. The date on my temp tag is 04-05. So now, I legally can't drive it, right? Even though I'm not on the island, so it don't matter, but this is getting crazy. I'm trying to ship my car here to Germany (which is bloody awesome by the way), but can't until I get my registration and tags. I just called the dude today and he told me the same thing he did 2 weeks ago, "it usually take s 4-6 weeks, but the DMV is backed up". For the the love of everything holy, how backed up is it?!?

Am I getting worked up for nothing?

Thanks for you time
Hawaii_guy
Old 04-30-2005, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
heres my inside 2 cents.
when you buy a brand new car from a dealership.... at most it takes the dealer a week to get THEIR end done. unless there is a trade in that involves a pay-off, getting title.. etc.... the DMV should take no longer than a week to get your tags out to the dealer. so in a best case scenario it takes 3 weeks. in most cases it takes a month. in a worst case it take 6 weeks.

keep in mind that it's possible for FOUR parties to clear paperwork before you get your plates. (dealership, banks(possibly2), and the dmv) once everything is squared away then the DMV usually is the last stop.

whenever we make temporary lic plates we have a w legal window of 45 days to put on our customers cars. the only reason for it to take longer than that is if someone lost your paperwork.

Originally Posted by Hawaii_Guy
For the the love of everything holy, how backed up is it?
sometimes the DMV only allows us a certain number of "plates" to do in one day.
depends on their workload and attitute for that day

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*

Last edited by gdogg; 04-30-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by gdogg
heres my inside 2 cents.
when you buy a brand new car from a dealership.... at most it takes the dealer a week to get THEIR end done. unless there is a trade in that involves a pay-off, getting title.. etc.... the DMV should take no longer than a week to get your tags out to the dealer. so in a best case scenario it takes 3 weeks. in most cases it takes a month. in a worst case it take 6 weeks.

keep in mind that it's possible for FOUR parties to clear paperwork before you get your plates. (dealership, banks(possibly2), and the dmv) once everything is squared away then the DMV usually is the last stop.

whenever we make temporary lic plates we have a w legal window of 45 days to put on our customers cars. the only reason for it to take longer than that is if someone lost your paperwork.

sometimes the DMV only allows us a certain number of "plates" to do in one day.
depends on their workload and attitute for that day

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*

Very good info, thank you gdogg.

Just so you know, there was no trade-in, and I got financed through one bank. If I had to guess, the dealer was ... lackadaisical... in initiating/sending whatever is required for the tags/registration.

Ah well, just got to keep on waiting... (not like I'm not use to it, Air Force motto: Hurry up and wait... or is that the military motto?)

Hawaii_guy
Old 04-30-2005, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
**** I'm still waiting for my refund for my extended warranty from five star
Old 04-30-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by da tall guy

Hmm, maybe we should start a club... Hehe

Hawaii_guy79
Old 04-30-2005, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
IMO 5 star is shetty... anyway, took me 3 weeks to get my plates when I bought my car at kaneohe.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:16 PM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
Originally Posted by da tall guy
to do that would you have to wait till the extended days is up? or can you get the refund before that date? (if you didnt use it)
Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 AM

Car Info: Storme..
well i bought my car from waipahu/ohana subaru..

they took like.. 6 weeks to get my plates.. and they didnt even call me in for them..

i was in the neighborhood and i went to go ask my salesman for another temporary license.. but he wasnt in that day.. so the manager walked into his office and looked througha pile of crap and he found it.. and he was like... oh here it is...

but whatever...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:36 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by playa7
to do that would you have to wait till the extended days is up? or can you get the refund before that date? (if you didnt use it)
no they told me 4-6 weeks, almost 2 months ago