Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:37 PM

Question?

I Jus Wanted To Know If You Could Put A Cold Air Intake With A Front Mount Intercooler? I Want To Know Cause I Don't Want To Buy A Cold Air And It Can't Fit After. Well Help Me Up
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
I dont think you could just because of the fact it is pretty tight in the fender well to begin with................and besides it would be a waste of money kinda like putting a cold air on with a tmic wither way the air gonna get hot before it hits the intercooler
Old 01-07-2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
I dont think you could just because of the fact it is pretty tight in the fender well to begin with................and besides it would be a waste of money kinda like putting a cold air on with a tmic wither way the air gonna get hot before it hits the intercooler

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BYPUTTING A COLD AIR ON WITH A TMIC WITHER AIR GONNS GET HOT BEFORE IT HITS THE INTERCOOLER.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:19 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Ok,

I'm feeling generous. First of all, most FMICs require a CAI or short ram because of the FMIC piping. Next, whenever you compress air (like a turbo does) you create heat. That's why you have an intercooler, to cool the hot air, which in turn produces more power (cool air = good, hot air = bad). Check out the site
howstuffworks.com and learn a bit before someone treats you like a n00b and tells you to do a search.

San
Old 01-07-2006, 02:23 AM

Car Info: 2003WRX
^^^hehe..
Old 01-07-2006, 02:59 AM

Car Info: easystreet's ESX 344 Stage 4 Dyno Tuned
Originally Posted by oldmansan
I'm feeling generous. First of all, most FMICs require a CAI or short ram because of the FMIC piping. Next, whenever you compress air (like a turbo does) you create heat. That's why you have an intercooler, to cool the hot air, which in turn produces more power (cool air = good, hot air = bad). Check out the site
howstuffworks.com and learn a bit before someone treats you like a n00b and tells you to do a search.

San
funny werent we talkin abou tthis at the shop today....anyways if i may hijack for a sec could u look around for that boost controller please and let me know, thanks!!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
[QUOTE=NEWBLOODWRX]WHAT DO YOU MEAN BYPUTTING A COLD AIR ON WITH A TMIC WITHER AIR GONNS GET HOT BEFORE IT HITS THE INTERCOOLER.[/QUOT

ok i forgot to check my spelling i meant "either" not wither

so if you dont understand how a turbo works air coming from your intake will make a pass through your turbo b4 hitting your tmic. which in turn heats the air right back up not to mention a lot hotter than what you were drawing from your intake (cold air or not). so basically what i am trying to say and still highly debateable is it is basically a waste of money to get one in my opinion and a lot of others here
Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Well

you're right as far as it is debatable as to whether a CAI has an advantage over the normal intake or short ram in regard to the air charge being cooler AFTER the turbo and before the intercooler. Ryan, Bobby and I were discussing this yesterday and the only way to prove it one way or the other is to measure the air charge post turbo and pre intercooler. Until someone does this opinions are worthless. I've seen both sides of the argument. One goes like this, If the air charge is cooler before the turbo, and the turbo is going to heat the air X amount, then obviously the cooler the air charge, the cooler the air will be after exiting the turbo. The other goes like this, it doesn't matter how cool the air charge is before the turbo, the turbo will heat any air charge to X degrees. I personally lean slightly towards the first scenario. If 30 degree air enters the turbo and gets compressed X amount, then how can 105 degree air enter the turbo, get compressed the same amount, and come out the same degrees? But like I said, we will try to do a little experiment and settle this debate. Cool?

San
Old 01-07-2006, 10:52 AM

Car Info: subaru
Originally Posted by NEWBLOODWRX
I Jus Wanted To Know If You Could Put A Cold Air Intake With A Front Mount Intercooler? I Want To Know Cause I Don't Want To Buy A Cold Air And It Can't Fit After. Well Help Me Up
So back to your original question: Yes, it is possible. As for which is better...I know I didn't seem to have a choice, since the piping for my FMIC got in the way of where a short ram intake would go. So it wasn't even a matter of which is better, since only a cold air intake would fit. Another question could be: Do you need the FMIC? My $0.02.
-Alexis