PS3 GrandTurismo5

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Originally Posted by touge-n00b
One thing that personally disapoints me that the GT series never gets right: engine noise. They still all sound exactly the same, even in GT5. I know it may sound trivial to most of you here, but it's a huge reason I prefer Forza, and even NFS: Shift. Sure, Shift may be an "arcade" racer, but NO ONE has done engine noises better than EA.

I'm still not sure if I want this game now, because another thing I can't stand is long loading times, which a lot of people seem to be complaining about. And the whole premium vs regular cars thing is a big turn-off too.
Really........I might just have to return it then. I'm with you Joey, on sound. Sound is the next best thing to graphics and physics that I look for in a racing simulator. That is just sad. The fact that they couldn't take the time to record realistic sound bits just tells me how much Polyphony cares about authenticity....

Hell, even Automodellista had a more accurate engine soundtrack compliation than the GT series as a whole.

Forza and NFS: Shift, you are now my favorites. Lucky I never traded you in....
Old 11-25-2010, 12:49 AM

Car Info: Renault Clio RS R27
I tough in GT5, all cars had their own sound? Was it a LIE!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:52 AM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
One thing that personally disapoints me that the GT series never gets right: engine noise. They still all sound exactly the same, even in GT5. I know it may sound trivial to most of you here, but it's a huge reason I prefer Forza, and even NFS: Shift. Sure, Shift may be an "arcade" racer, but NO ONE has done engine noises better than EA.

I'm still not sure if I want this game now, because another thing I can't stand is long loading times, which a lot of people seem to be complaining about. And the whole premium vs regular cars thing is a big turn-off too.
I'm glad someone else shares this sentiment. What's the point of maxing out one setting and making it look great (graphics) if you can't get another equally important sense down (sound)? I had a decent surround system and the noise that the Murcielago 670-4 SV made brought chills to my spine the first time I drove it in Forza 3. I know, I know.. posting Forza comments in a GT thread, but that's expected right?

I'll probably end up getting this game eventually but it's not like how I felt when I bought GT4 or GT3 or even Forzas 2 & 3 where I was anxious to get it at launch and play it right away.. This is the first racing game I feel kind of meh about..
Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Car Info: '08 Acura MDX

The problem is that when they make GT, they record the sounds as accurate as possible. That means they don't add wind noise effects, added muffling, etc. etc.

So what we hear is the engine's pure sound, but obviously in real life we hear cars from the outside.

So I agree, the sounds need work. But eh it doesn't bother me as much as flat looking cars (forza) and ****ty floaty physics (NFS: Shift)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Originally Posted by Symmetrical
The problem is that when they make GT, they record the sounds as accurate as possible. That means they don't add wind noise effects, added muffling, etc. etc.

So what we hear is the engine's pure sound, but obviously in real life we hear cars from the outside.

So I agree, the sounds need work. But eh it doesn't bother me as much as flat looking cars (forza) and ****ty floaty physics (NFS: Shift)
That is not true. I've owned Subies since 1999, I know what a boxer engine sounds like, turbo or not, they tick the same. GT5 does not and never had it. Those (not talking about you) that think we are picky about sound can say whatever they want. I hope one day you buy a future COD game and the M16 sounds like a BB gun. Hardcore gun fanatics will rage!!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 2000 AW 2.5RS, 2013 Cadillac Escalade
The sound is actually not bad, I have the game. I demoed the Impreza gc8 and it had a boxer engine sound. I currently have a Rx7 in the game and I hear the rotary. I don't think sound is that big of a factor oppose to, graphics and physics. I wouldn't want to play with flat looking cars and drive on ice.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by joejoe69
That is not true. I've owned Subies since 1999, I know what a boxer engine sounds like, turbo or not, they tick the same. GT5 does not and never had it. Those (not talking about you) that think we are picky about sound can say whatever they want. I hope one day you buy a future COD game and the M16 sounds like a BB gun. Hardcore gun fanatics will rage!!
Yeah don't worry I'm all for authentic sound, and yes it's a gripe I use to have with the old GTs from GT1 to GT3 sounding like bee's buzzing and not cars.

But since GT4 it's been improved and while they still aren't as nice sounding as they could they're sufficient.

And as for gun sounds, every game I hear is actually pretty poorly done except maybe Battlefield Bad Company 2. It has the best gun sounds I've ever heard.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
can you transfer licenses to GT5 from your GT4 or other earlier games?
Websearched and others transfered from their PSP?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Originally Posted by abakja1
can you transfer licenses to GT5 from your GT4 or other earlier games?
I doubt it.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 AM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
nope only transfer you can do is the GTpsp.
Sound ain't much of a deal for me aslong as it sounds like a car and not a moped.
You will be having to much fun in the rain with the premium cars interior view and the rain hitting the windshield is crazy real like.
The game is awsome and even if the standard cars dont have the interior view I can see why cause disc space is limited, like FFXIII could have been longer if it was exclusively on PS3 using the bluray disc and not Xbox dvd lol.
Im still waiting for the 22B to appear in the used garage but no luck yet.
My rank is 18 and I love my GT-R spec v 09' lol spank everyone online at Special Stage 7 wangan run!
btw GT6 is in the works.
Yes BattleField gun sounds is awsome... canr wait for the BF3 beta since I got Medal of Honor.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BattleD01
nope only transfer you can do is the GTpsp.
Sound ain't much of a deal for me aslong as it sounds like a car and not a moped.
You will be having to much fun in the rain with the premium cars interior view and the rain hitting the windshield is crazy real like.
The game is awsome and even if the standard cars dont have the interior view I can see why cause disc space is limited, like FFXIII could have been longer if it was exclusively on PS3 using the bluray disc and not Xbox dvd lol.
Im still waiting for the 22B to appear in the used garage but no luck yet.
My rank is 18 and I love my GT-R spec v 09' lol spank everyone online at Special Stage 7 wangan run!
btw GT6 is in the works.
Yes BattleField gun sounds is awsome... canr wait for the BF3 beta since I got Medal of Honor.
I'll be the first to admit, I wish they chose to do maybe 500-600 all premium cars instead of 800 standard.

But honestly, I always find myself not using the interior view as much as I thought, so it sort of moots the point for me wanting more premium cars lol.

Here's hoping that more premium cars will come through DLC or updates.

But as for GT itself, there's no denying that this game was made for adults as the target market. One glimpse of the photo mode, the special events, Gran Turismo TV, and even the overall UI is made for hardcore car enthusiasts.

My only true real gripe is the car delivery system. Boy it's friggin annoying to have to wait over and over again taking new cars when you win them. Other than that, GT5 meets and exceeds my expectations in other areas.

It's definitely a breath of fresh air to have a serious driving game and not the rice and furious games.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
^like
Old 11-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Symmetrical
It's definitely a breath of fresh air to have a serious driving game and not the rice and furious games.
Another reason why I've played GT since the first game.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Oh well I waited 5 years to get a PS3... EB was doing a 115$ off bundle.... I took it.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Oh and talking about GT5, they did that in one of the world well know street in Paris

Quick Reply: PS3 GrandTurismo5