Proper line at HRP track days question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 01:39 PM

Proper line at HRP track days question

Hey guys, is the sweeper at HRP a double apex turn, or am I just making a fool out of myself?
http://www.forumshawaii.net/phpBB2/v...r=asc&start=60
Old 11-02-2003, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
I couldnt tell you, but I wouldnt even bother with most of those guys, you gave them your name and even invited them to talk but they're still posting wise type comments.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
According to the guy

at the drivers meeting, there was only one apex and it was marked. I can see it both ways.

San
Old 11-02-2003, 06:53 PM

Car Info: White on Gold STi
No, it's just a single apex.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:50 PM

whoops.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:11 AM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
as said earlier: single apex...and the sweeper is a constant radius turn, meaning you shouldnt have to be moving the steering wheel too much while going through it...

the sweeper is the single most important turn on that track because your exit speed will determine how fast you can go on the straight...BUT that is the most spooky area also...the ground is uneven and there's loose gravel and rubber in that area, not to mention the guardrails with no runoff room whatsoever...

i've almost lost it there on my first track day, and that scared the $hit out of me ever since...i always take it a little more carefully and slower through that turn...

a couple of cars has lost it thru that area, not to mention a S2000 FLIPPED in the sweeper at this years BMW driving school...
Old 11-03-2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by poser
a couple of cars has lost it thru that area, not to mention a S2000 FLIPPED in the sweeper at this years BMW driving school...

I have to start paying more attention I guess. In my mind though, I would touch the inside of the track right before the staging area and once again well inside the rubber room. Maybe I just have a super funky line, or maybe all the beer I drink is finally killing brain cells.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:17 PM

This is what I was thinking. The black line represents my driving line, the red arrows are what I perceived as the apex's for the sweeper.
Attached Thumbnails Proper line at HRP track days question-hrproadlaymy-line.gif  
Old 11-03-2003, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
It's been a while for me, but I seem to remember that what you're calling the sweeper didn't really affect the line I took. After I entered the tirehouse, it didn't seem too critical to hit that as an apex because as long as I left my steering wheel turned to the right degree, I pretty much had a straight shot to the front straight.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:53 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Poser's right, the sweeper is spooky... You're lucky you have AWD, I used to, and it made the sweeper so easy you could do it in your sleep... It's a single apex turn which if you hit it right will give you a major advantage in speed on the straight, especally if your car is on equal power to the car youre trying to pass.

I had a couple "moments" in the sweeper at the last track day, and agree fully with poser... It's scary....
Old 11-03-2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by boloheadrat
This is what I was thinking. The black line represents my driving line, the red arrows are what I perceived as the apex's for the sweeper.
sorry dude, but technically, it's the wrong line...where you have drawn your first arrow, you need to be more towards the outside of the turn (more towards the grass/wall) then cut in and hit the SINGLE apex...this line is rather spooky, due to the crappy track conditions in that area...

of course, when it comes down to it, all this is really moot, as it's NOT a race...it's to just have fun with your car...do what feels comfortable to YOU...if you wanna keep taking that line, and feels safer doing so, go ahead...so what if the punk in the miata comes blowing past your 600hp ride...it's okay to be "beat" by a supposedly slower car...

if you wanna give it 10/10ths, then fine...this is the place to do it, but as for me, i'd rather give it 8/10ths, be passed by other drivers (hardly happens anyway ), and go home with my car intact...
Old 11-03-2003, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Shin RS
Poser's right, the sweeper is spooky... You're lucky you have AWD, I used to, and it made the sweeper so easy you could do it in your sleep... It's a single apex turn which if you hit it right will give you a major advantage in speed on the straight, especally if your car is on equal power to the car youre trying to pass.

I had a couple "moments" in the sweeper at the last track day, and agree fully with poser... It's scary....
Jason,

What are you driving now? Somebody said you were thinking Z06 like poser is, but I didn't know if they were referring to another Jason.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:53 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Actually, I was looking for a STi, but reality and bills conspired to kick my *** and I figured that for now a cheaper alternative would be more practical...

So I bought a miata, it's fun as hell, rwd, light weight, and unfortunately has a nasty reputation as a hair dressers car, among other things...
Old 11-03-2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Shin RS
Actually, I was looking for a STi, but reality and bills conspired to kick my ***
BUWAHAHAHAHAHA...do you call leila "reality and bills"???

and pat...my name is also jayson...like shin's, and rexstang's, and drvortex's...
Old 11-03-2003, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Ahhhhh.

You're the one. I've seen you at the AutoX, but in my mind you were known as 'the lucky guy with the M3'.

Quick Reply: Proper line at HRP track days question