Project Weightloss: SM 02 WRX Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Project Weightloss: SM 02 WRX Wagon

So whenever I have a spare hour I just start taking things off my car I don't deem nessecary. This is basically a log for myself and others about weights associated with certain parts, and my quest for lightness.

So the way I started was to go through the SCCA Rulebook for the SM class and pick apart each rule to define what I could and could not remove, here is what I have gathered so far:

K. Rear passenger seat(s), including restraints and associated hardware may be removed.

O. Radio/Stereo and airbag equipment and/or its component parts, in-cluding wiring, control modules, antennas, amplifiers, speakers and
their enclosures, etc. may be removed provided the part added, removed, or replaced serves no other purpose. Any visible holes that
result from the removal of equipment must be covered with a cover of unrestricted material. Covers may be used to mount gauges,
switches, etc.

Q. Ballast may be added. Ballast must be a maximum of 50 lbs. per
segment. It must be securely mounted within the bodywork.

Rules used to determine weight allowances here:

2. Supercharged or turbocharged SM and SSM engines will be classified on a basis of adding 1.4L to the actual displacement. Forced
induction SMF engines will add 1.0L to the actual displacement

Cars running tires with a rated width of 275 mm or less on all four
wheels may compete at a minimum weight 200 lbs less than their
calculated weight.

AWD: 1800 lbs + 300 lbs per liter
Supercharged or Turbocharged SM engines: Add 1.4L to the actual
displacement.

Some Calculations:

2.0L turbocharged engine, modified displacement of 3.4L

300x3.4 = 1020lbs
1800+1020 = 2,820lbs
-200lbs (running 245 series tires) = 2620lbs

Realistically, there is no way I will be able to achieve this weight given the current rules. However, I can try to get as close as possible. I am going to be doing this a little backwards, I don't have a weight for the car yet. I am first going to take out as much as possible and then weigh her, then add the total of what I took out and see how well we did.

Pieces removed:

Rear Small Seatback:
Name:  yjMwvHul.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  47.3 KB

Rear Large Seatback:
Name:  lZT7esol.jpg
Size:  39.4 KB

Rear Bottom Seat:
Name:  1SjSL0ml.jpg
Size:  47.8 KB

Replacement Pieces:

New Front Seat(One seat weight, not including brackets/sliders):
Name:  6rHBqqSl.jpg
Size:  30.7 KB
Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Cool. I need to start this as well on the EVO. Probably just easier to drop some body mass but I think I'll work on the car first! Did you get a chance to weigh the car before you started?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 AM

I didn't, but I will add the total of everything I take out and will be relatively close.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
I'm doing the same thing with the miata.
Difference is, I'm at 1.8L + forced induction + 2wd + 275 tires or under, so my min weight is 2050. It's actually doable. I removed AC, stereo/wiring/speakers, any unneeded wiring, light seats, 2.3lbs battery, seat belts, roll bar, aid bags + sensors, emissions.

More expensive things that I may consider later are lighter alternator, carbon hood, trunk, fenders, Ti exhaust.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 AM

Car Info: STI
I think that the biggest weight reductions requiring money would include bumper beam (aluminum) front and rear,subframe, battery and exhaust for the Subaru. The deltas would be large.

The rest would be free (just gut).

You may want to attack it based on the heaviest structures that you can modify separate from the ones you can remove completely.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Well, based on the rules, I can go to 2820 but I'll get no where near that. I saw one guy get his X down to just under 3000 but heck, I can't live without A/C. I'd be happy with ~3300. I'm use to being slower than Cory anyway..........

I'll keep watching this thread as it gets me motivated...
Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by reido
I think that the biggest weight reductions requiring money would include bumper beam (aluminum) front and rear,subframe, battery and exhaust for the Subaru. The deltas would be large.

The rest would be free (just gut).

You may want to attack it based on the heaviest structures that you can modify separate from the ones you can remove completely.
Front Bumper beam is something I have been looking at, however, rules state that something must be there. It seems that if I were to run a front mount that it would be okay to use the small replacement beam that comes with the kit, but I think I would also have to run the frontmount as well, and there goes my weight savings.

Subframes are prohibitively expensive.

Battery will be replaced with an oddesy 610 mounted in the spare tire well.

Exhaust is something to consider, however, I really like mine =(
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
And here I am I the same class rocking car seats and a glove box with just in case tools. .

I think I saw a bugeye hood on craigs

Last edited by PSBeachBum; 06-01-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
sadly, we can't replace subframes, or i'd get the v8 tubular ones that save 30lbs!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Some input/advise since I have experience in all this.

Should've weighed the vehicle beforehand including the balanced weight. (Weight each of the wheels bears.)

This way if you really want to follow all the rulebook covers, implies, or has shades of grey, you'll benefit the most.

What am I implying here? Well, if you unbalance the vehicle while reducing weight it is no-good. Now, if say you lighten the car while retaining it's balance characteristics you will have an advantage most other novice to mid-pack racers don't expect.

I know you probably already are factoring this in the fact you can add ballasts later on. Keep in mind you'll also have to figure vehicle dynamics once you've pulled parts versus a recorded baseline at each tire.

Nice topic too!

Originally Posted by reido

Hole saw, c-clamps, and dimple-die kit FTW. (Need the c-clamps to compress the dimple-die tool.) Use caution where placing the holes and dimples. Remember the structure is designed with translated forces and shear forces factored in. Put a hole or dimpled hole where it shouldn't be and you've just changed the safety characteristics of your unibody. Too bad Vermont SportsCar is so far away, I'd say take a look at how they handled these bits.

/GeekFest

Last edited by TheFozz; 06-01-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Its only ~15 lbs saved on a tube subaru front subframe, but the real benefit is that tight feeling you just can't get any other way but tubing a bunch of stuff together. It's a similar feeling to the first drive with fender braces on the car, but magnified 10 fold in every direction. It felt so good in the front that I gave up on having a street car and caged it. Now I'm saving/waiting for an excuse to get the rear subframe and t-bar for another ~25 lbs savings and more stiffness. Still, it's not the BEST value for your dollar, and when you stuff it you'll end up tweaking the whole chassis instead of a cheap, replaceable, OEM subframe.

tss | TSS Rear Subframe

By your rule set I would be allowed 300(2.5L+1.4) +1800(for AWD) -200(for 245/40/17) = 2770lbs

My wagon was down to ~2880 wet before I replaced the OEM passenger seat(~35lbs) with a Sparco Fighter seat and custom rail. I still have the heater box to pull out (~45 lbs), passenger air bag unit (~20), and I'm thinking of ways to gut my rear doors while keeping some kind of adjustable window. It seems like I might actually be able to hit that 2770 number, which means that you can also get pretty close.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Oh I like this thread...

Originally Posted by TheFozz
Some input/advise since I have experience in all this.

Should've weighed the vehicle beforehand including the balanced weight. (Weight each of the wheels bears.)

This way if you really want to follow all the rulebook covers, implies, or has shades of grey, you'll benefit the most.

What am I implying here? Well, if you unbalance the vehicle while reducing weight it is no-good. Now, if say you lighten the car while retaining it's balance characteristics you will have an advantage most other novice to mid-pack racers don't expect.

I know you probably already are factoring this in the fact you can add ballasts later on. Keep in mind you'll also have to figure vehicle dynamics once you've pulled parts versus a recorded baseline at each tire.
Would that make much of a difference if you were to corner balance the car anyway?

I think an interesting thing to do would be to way the car off the suspension and see how the weight is distributed across the chassis. Obviously the CG will move towards the left front. But it would be cool to know by how much.

Originally Posted by Gancherov
Its only ~15 lbs saved on a tube subaru front subframe, but the real benefit is that tight feeling you just can't get any other way but tubing a bunch of stuff together. It's a similar feeling to the first drive with fender braces on the car, but magnified 10 fold in every direction. It felt so good in the front that I gave up on having a street car and caged it. Now I'm saving/waiting for an excuse to get the rear subframe and t-bar for another ~25 lbs savings and more stiffness. Still, it's not the BEST value for your dollar, and when you stuff it you'll end up tweaking the whole chassis instead of a cheap, replaceable, OEM subframe.

tss | TSS Rear Subframe

By your rule set I would be allowed 300(2.5L+1.4) +1800(for AWD) -200(for 245/40/17) = 2770lbs

My wagon was down to ~2880 wet before I replaced the OEM passenger seat(~35lbs) with a Sparco Fighter seat and custom rail. I still have the heater box to pull out (~45 lbs), passenger air bag unit (~20), and I'm thinking of ways to gut my rear doors while keeping some kind of adjustable window. It seems like I might actually be able to hit that 2770 number, which means that you can also get pretty close.
**** dude, I knew you were doing work on that thing. But DAMN.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
There is some good info (though, admittedly, among a lot of bull****) in this thread: NASIOC Weight Reduction thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM

Thats what my wagon looks like for the most part, however no sound deadening. Also, I am required to leave in all the plastic trim bits.

Update:

Seatbelts are out, I will weigh all that + some misc brackets that broke off tomorrow.

Still need to:
Take out rear speakers
Oddesy Battery relocated to spare tire well
Possibly remove some deadening tar
Maybe something with the front bumper beam but I don't know what exactly is allowed and what isn't allowed.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by Krang
Possibly remove some deadening tar
Dry Ice and a Mallet. Don't waste time with a scraper or an air chisel. Scrapers take far too long and air chisels like to gouge steel.

Quick Reply: Project Weightloss: SM 02 WRX Wagon