This probably won't be funny to you.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 02:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
This probably won't be funny to you.

I show up to the track tonight and am pretty pleased with my first run. I had dedicated all day to some pretty hardcore tuning and was had my hopes up pretty high for tonight. Wasn't expecting 12's, but would have accepted 13.0-13.1. First run was a 13.3 @ 99 (99mph all night long). The best part was the 1.674 60'.

Anyhow, I was too focused on all of the electronic crap in the car so my next two runs I somehow botched the launches. 2.0 60 foots, 13.7 @ 99 both times. I wasn't knocking a bit so every run I kept inching up my boost from where I started at around 16lbs to around 18 peak (the 13.3 was on 16lbs).

The final run, I almost got to run an STI owned by a guy named Ty, but I couldn't go up when the signal man called me. With the TUNA, I've got to let the WB sensor heat up for 20 seconds everytime before I start the car, and the signal man screwed me so I didn't time it right. When I finally got up there, I was unable to log anything because the UTEC was fighting me, so I just said screw it, I'll make a pass without logging (doing that is worthless to me.)

Somewhere along the line, I must've hit my map selector switch I have mounted on my center console, because my pretty nice launch bogged and then I kept stumbling and 'hitting a wall' in every gear after about 3500 rpms. I was obviously scared.

When I got back to the lot, I started thinking of everything that could be wrong. I even listed the things to Eric the Evo guy. I looked at the Delta Dash and everything seemed fine.

It wasn't until I got out on the freeway (and started experiencing the same thing again) when it occured to me to look at the map selector switch. It was on 0 which is the 'stock' setting (stock for a stage 0 WRX). I put the clutch in and let the revs go down then set it to map #1 and everything was fine after that.

I don't know, I thought it was funny. I even did a LOL in the car for about 5 minutes.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:14 AM

I do that kind of stuff all the time. It's a relief to find a simple solution to your problems. This one time I had just put new speakers in my front doors. I buttoned everything back up and was ready to call it a day... when I found my windows wouldn't roll up. My first thought was that I forgot to plug something back in. Long story short, I spent about two hours pulling off door panels and looking for bad connections and shorts only to find that the window lock out button had been pushed.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
So what was your best run of the night?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

The first. 13.3 @ 99.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

My time on the last run was 21 seconds. Besides the times where I didn't actually cross the finish line that is my PW.

I think I did a pretty good job tuning. No knock. AFR was around 11.1:1.

On the 13.3, I SMOKED a newer aged Z28 (I think the LS1 type). He had a slower RT & 60', but his trap was like 116 He was catching me but never did. On that one, I think I probably got some folks attention, but then I was fabulous in disappointing.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:41 PM

Thumbs up

I for one, enjoy your track adventures, Pat!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:54 PM
VIP Member

In talking to Dan, he'd have me believe that you're probably the only one then, Russ.

Remember on Nasioc, Richard's 'Tome's to Racing'? You'd spend 10 minutes reading about how well he did (or most usually, how upset he was with his car), how well Wes did, how well I did, how well Steven did...how big were the breasts on some 15yr old.. Well, I miss those days.

I figure, if I'm racing I'm happy. If I can't race, then I'm still happy so long as I can be at the track. If I can't be there, I enjoy reading about it.

Hey, how long is 'break-in' for a new block? 1000mi?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo