powdercoat shops?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:41 PM

Car Info: 03 Supreme Wagon
do i have to remove the tires before i bring my rims to hi-tech?...and what is bead blasted?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 PM

Car Info: It has wheels!
Originally Posted by EMOE3
For you guys with ceramic coated headers from Hi-Tech, how does this compare to Swain Tech or JetHot? Is Hi-Tech's coating functional (keeps the heat in the header) or just for show?

TIA,

-Ken
Hey Ken,
My engine bay seemed cooler, but maybe that was a pseudo effect not sure since I didn't have at temp gun! I had it done on my Titanium M Coupe which I sold soon after the coating, so I really can't say.
Missed you at the run-offs and Pops was a little frustrated, but he still do very good as usual.
I hear the ///M is coming out of the garage huh?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1codeRED
?...and what is bead blasted?
Whats the difference between sand blandisting or bead blasting?

The difference between sand blasting and bead blasting is the medium used... Sand blasting uses fairly coarse grain silica-carbide or aluminum-oxide sand, where bead blasting can use small glass or plastic beads. The medium is selected depending on how agressive you want to clean the old parts, and the type of material you're working on.

Another method of removing old paint prior to repainting could be with a chemical stripper. Chemical strippers are available in most paint stores. You simply apply the stripper with a brush, and after a few moments, the old paint bubbles up and you can just wipe it off with paper towels or rags. Just be sure to follow the directions on the cans, and wear rubber gloves, as some chemical strippers can burn your skin. Make sure all the chemical stripper is completely removed prior to repainting.

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Originally Posted by thunder_sti
Whats the difference between sand blandisting or bead blasting?

The difference between sand blasting and bead blasting is the medium used... Sand blasting uses fairly coarse grain silica-carbide or aluminum-oxide sand, where bead blasting can use small glass or plastic beads. The medium is selected depending on how agressive you want to clean the old parts, and the type of material you're working on.

Another method of removing old paint prior to repainting could be with a chemical stripper. Chemical strippers are available in most paint stores. You simply apply the stripper with a brush, and after a few moments, the old paint bubbles up and you can just wipe it off with paper towels or rags. Just be sure to follow the directions on the cans, and wear rubber gloves, as some chemical strippers can burn your skin. Make sure all the chemical stripper is completely removed prior to repainting.

Good luck with your project!
I don't disagree with your post, but in my personal opinion I'd go with bead or sand blasting over chemical strippers. I think bead or sand blasting is more consistent than chemical strippers and leaves the surface more "friendly" to paint/ceramic etc.

San
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
I agree San!!! Hellz no to any type of chemical w/ purpose to strip...

Thanks to Jeremiah, he picked the right choice of bead blasting and powder coating the rims I posted above. Great combo...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:46 AM

I'd give you a hug, but that would be inappropriate "man touching".

San
Old 04-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Car Info: '05 Legacy GT Wagon "Bro Tuned"
how much did he charge for the up pipe and down pipe? DO you got a contact number
Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Without a digital thermometer and multiple headers to compare side by side, how could you compare the different coating vendors? Calculate the shipping costs to them mainland and add that to the mix. I had a set of headers I sent to the mainland that were ruined by the coating company and had to wait for the replacement set. Stock block, FMIC, TBE, stock turbo, and equal-length headers I was still quicker than STIs at the track. I honestly can't compare Swaintech or JetHot (who broke my headers) to Hi-Tech. It would very expensive to do a comparison and frankly, I don't have that kind of cash right now.

San
I guess I wasn't asking for an empirical analysis (although that would be good)

To phrase my question another way, did the Hi-Tech coating lower the surface temp of the header/up pipe/etc?

TIA,

-Ken
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by abakja1
Why go mainland and pay the extreme prices? Hi-tech did my upipe and shorty downpipe and still look as they did new. Great price and on the island without the shipping prices to mainland costs.
That's what I would like to avoid, but I'm not after the looks. I would like to see reduced underhood temps. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by RDWORK
Hey Ken,
My engine bay seemed cooler, but maybe that was a pseudo effect not sure since I didn't have at temp gun! I had it done on my Titanium M Coupe which I sold soon after the coating, so I really can't say.
Missed you at the run-offs and Pops was a little frustrated, but he still do very good as usual.
I hear the ///M is coming out of the garage huh?
Woody, that you? Didn't know you lurked on these boards...Yeah, didn't qualify for run-offs since I spread my season out in 3 classes. I'm trying to get Pops to work on his car set-up. I drove it for 3 or 4 events and didn't like it at all. Good power but it has lots of steady-state understeer!

Brought the ole M out yesterday with new shoes. Did pretty good

We missed you this time...Easter probably not good for you...

...If I get a chance I'll probably pull the header and have Hi-Tech coat it. Thanks for the information.

-Ken
Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 PM

I guess I wasn't asking for an empirical analysis (although that would be good)

To phrase my question another way, did the Hi-Tech coating lower the surface temp of the header/up pipe/etc?

TIA,

-Ken
I'll just say that I can literally touch the outside of my header/uppipe soon after shutting the motor off. It is suprising. You could say that's bad or good, there are always two sides of any coin. I tend to see it as the coating is holding the heat in. I wish I had empirical data, I don't.

San
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Car Info: It has wheels!
Woody, that you?
Brought the ole M out yesterday with new shoes. Did pretty good
We missed you this time...Easter probably not good for you...

-Ken
It be me!

Ahem...did pretty good? I would say that's an understatement!
Finishing in the #2 spot overall is slightly better than pretty good. LOL!!

Yep, Easter is not a good time for me, but I hope to be there the next time.