performance or loud

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru impreza wrx sti
Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
Go AP first! Stage 1 will feel better. Everything after that just is icing on the cake.

Congrats on the pregnancy. Also going thru one of those. Just hit second trimester (whatever that means

my wife just started here second trimester as well haha

Posted from I-club.com App for Android
Old 06-02-2013, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by wrx_sti_turbo
hey guys sorry I didnt post this earlier but right now im cobb stage 1 with sf intake and accessport. and even with stage 1 over stock its a huge difference, I appreciate all the advice

With that said i would do the DP over an axle back, if it were my car.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM

a downpipe would give it a little extra rumble anyway right?

Old 06-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
a downpipe would give it a little extra rumble anyway right?

yes it will. Also if there is a factory resonator in your catback having that removed and a straight pipe put in adds some rumble as well. I did that with my STI before i went full 3" CBE.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 PM

awesome thanks for the advice man

Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
DP and some $.05 washers for the muffler until you can get a catback. axelback, ain't nobody got time for that.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 AM

Car Info: STI
The down pipe will actually add performance as it removes a severe restriction next to the turbo (location matters). Bad stuff can happen if a downpipe installed on your car causes overboosting at low rpm. Usually the duty cycle of the stock rom will be too high for the removed restriction and you get overshoots to 24psi for brief periods and then the boost levels out. You wont have to worry about overboosting at high rpm because the stock turbo can't maintain much pressure above 15psi near redline anyway. You won't know it overboosts if you don't have a boost gauge or know what the target boost is for specific rpms, but you'll claim it felt fine.

You're not guaranteed to have that problem, but if you do, yes you can kill your pistons because you will probably be off the stock tables.
The reason why 04sleeper is telling you to keep the stock axleback for now is that a new one won't gain any performance and only sound.

I agree with 04sleeper that you should just create an exhaust leak at the rear of the car. You'll get the sound. I wouldn't do the downpipe on an 08+ car without a reflash with lowered wastegate duty cycles.

Last edited by reido; 06-03-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
An axleback is going to be near dead silent on the stock exhaust.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by reido
The down pipe will actually add performance as it removes a severe restriction next to the turbo (location matters). Bad stuff can happen if a downpipe installed on your car causes overboosting at low rpm. Usually the duty cycle of the stock rom will be too high for the removed restriction and you get overshoots to 24psi for brief periods and then the boost levels out. You wont have to worry about overboosting at high rpm because the stock turbo can't maintain much pressure above 15psi near redline anyway. You won't know it overboosts if you don't have a boost gauge or know what the target boost is for specific rpms, but you'll claim it felt fine.

You're not guaranteed to have that problem, but if you do, yes you can kill your pistons because you will probably be off the stock tables.
The reason why 04sleeper is telling you to keep the stock axleback for now is that a new one won't gain any performance and only sound.

I agree with 04sleeper that you should just create an exhaust leak at the rear of the car. You'll get the sound. I wouldn't do the downpipe on an 08+ car without a reflash with lowered wastegate duty cycles.
great advice thanks, but I would be getting the cobb dp and with my ap set to stage 2 wouldnt that be safe? running a low waste gate map.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 2014 Mitsubishi EVO MR/2014 Wrx

great advice thanks, but I would be getting the cobb dp and with my ap set to stage 2 wouldnt that be safe? running a low waste gate map.

You shouldn't need to run the LWG map.. I got a catless invidia with a 3" catback and I don't have any boost problems
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Car Info: STI

If you flash the stage 2, it'll be fine because it has modified wastegate values from stock to account for a downpipe.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by k3k0a
You shouldn't need to run the LWG map.. I got a catless invidia with a 3" catback and I don't have any boost problems
but like reid said, youre not garanteed to have that problem lol maybe yours was fine. so to the OP sorry for the 'not so great' advice. maybe should have clarified, but not as much of a genius with words

on another note kekoa youre crazy for running all your mods with an ots map lol. hope yours is a garage queen till you get tuned lol.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 2008 Impreza STI, 2005 Forester XT
With a Cobb DP the stage 2 OTS map will be fine. You just won't be getting every bit of HP unlocked like a pro-tune though. The LWG and HWG maps are there in case you are not hitting your target boost or you are over boosting. With the 08's i've read that it can vary from car to car which is why they give you the ability and can be found after a few data log runs. Although, if you did decide to be cheap and get a catless DP i have read some people with 08 STI's flashing the Stage 2 LWG OTS map to help prevent boost creep until they pro-tune. I wouldn't suggest it with our cars since they are notorious for ringland failure but just a thought in case you considered it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 PM

Car Info: 2014 Mitsubishi EVO MR/2014 Wrx
Originally Posted by SUMATIC808
but like reid said, youre not garanteed to have that problem lol maybe yours was fine. so to the OP sorry for the 'not so great' advice. maybe should have clarified, but not as much of a genius with words

on another note kekoa youre crazy for running all your mods with an ots map lol. hope yours is a garage queen till you get tuned lol.
i only drive it on the weekends... i usually datalog every other week and so far everything has been fine, but i try not to get on it that much but its kinda hard not to (im a spirited driver) cant wait for July for AMS lol.

Most of the people running LWG maps are in a colder climate where the air is dense, also when i was looking into downpipes i never really seen anyone have boost creep with a catted downpipe. when i put on my catless invidia i actually ran the HWG map to see what would happen and i still didnt overboost, so you will be fine with the setup u want.. oh yeah and if you want a cheap catback i got one for sale :P
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
WRX SPT Catback Exhaust 08-10 + http://www.importimageracing.com/cnt...u-wrx-sti.html or CNT performance Catted Down-pipe for 08-11 WRX/STI Import Image Racing + http://www.importimageracing.com/gri...FZB7QgodglsACw, tune from jar bow = less than $1k with power and sound to satisfy you for a minute.

Last edited by moto96793; 06-04-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: performance or loud