performance or loud

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru impreza wrx sti
performance or loud

hey guys im on a slight budget due to the fact that my wife is pregnant, so I can only buy parts one at a time and im stuck between getting a good axleback for that sweet rumble that I want or go ahead and make my sti stage 2 by getting a dp. I know its preference but im stuck between the two!!

Posted from I-club.com App for Android
Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
do you have the ap or a way to tune for stage 2? If you do then the DP for stage 2.. Night and day difference, something you wont get from just an axle back.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
go stage 2. you should be alright with just a downpipe for now without a tune. and then the next investment after that should be an accessport. or vice versa if you wanna be on the safe side.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Go AP first! Stage 1 will feel better. Everything after that just is icing on the cake.

Congrats on the pregnancy. Also going thru one of those. Just hit second trimester (whatever that means
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
if you are stuck on both the DP or Axleback, get the axleback. I would not get a DP unless you get a tune or AP to go along with the DP. I would personally go with a AP first.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by moto96793
if you are stuck on both the DP or Axleback, get the axleback. I would not get a DP unless you get a tune or AP to go along with the DP. I would personally go with a AP first.
+ 1 to that. A DP without a tune is no bueno.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by SUMATIC808
go stage 2. you should be alright with just a downpipe for now without a tune. and then the next investment after that should be an accessport. or vice versa if you wanna be on the safe side.
This person is very wrong, do not do what he said if you like your car.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by Gancherov
This person is very wrong, do not do what he said if you like your car.
you guys are wayy too protective.
the engine will not blow up if thats what youre trying to say.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Originally Posted by SUMATIC808

you guys are wayy too protective.
the engine will not blow up if thats what youre trying to say.
I would have to agree. I mean I am no where near being an expert but anything exhaust is stuff that already happened inside the motor. Only thing you run into is having to much free flow and no back pressure but in my experience that means you loose some performance. I am sure there is an article and a scientific proven statement but just as me replying to this thread a DP is NOT gonna kill ****. A tune is just if you wanna get the full benefit outta it
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
^ it wont have anything to do with your motor... you'll just boost spike while running an untuned DP/turboback, along with other turbo problems to come, which will have you SOL in the long run, I definitely wouldnt recommend it, but to each their own..

ultimately your car needs to be tuned accordingly to what mods you have done, even just a 3" DP, a few days of conservative driving prob wont hurt, but you're risking it the longer you run untuned for sure, same goes for other mods injectors/bigger turbo etc.

IMO get an AP first along w/ a catback and run stage 1, sound + some performance benefits, and when you're ready to have more fun get a DP + go cobb stage 2
Old 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
edit.. my laptop is going cray..
Old 06-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Car Info: 2013 DGM Subaru WRX Limited
Did anyone ever get trouble (engine problems) from running a downpipe? Just asking from your personal experience.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 2008 Impreza STI, 2005 Forester XT
An axle back would be the cheapest of the two anyway and would get you some rumble at the same time hold you over till you can save enough for other parts. I would reccomend getting the axle back first, then an AP, then a DP. Or you could just save up altogether and buy the stage 2 package from cobb.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:07 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
Originally Posted by keonigt
Did anyone ever get trouble (engine problems) from running a downpipe? Just asking from your personal experience.
I bought my DP first, then I did a search on google... then I read and read and read. read about problems with spiking, how peoples motors (specificly 08) kept crapping.Then said bump this, this is a $25k car, wont risk it on a $400 part just for a few extra horses.. got my AP (2months later), then installed both at the same time. Some like aggressive tunes, some like conservative. At the end of the day, speed limits here don't exceed 60mph.... DO what ur comfortable with, at the end of the day its all on the way you drive, maintain your car, and the salary you make.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru impreza wrx sti
hey guys sorry I didnt post this earlier but right now im cobb stage 1 with sf intake and accessport. and even with stage 1 over stock its a huge difference, I appreciate all the advice

Posted from I-club.com App for Android

Quick Reply: performance or loud