PC tech/nerd/geek question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
640k memory limit... YUUUUUCK! Are you mental?

Amiga OS was the way to go in the late 80's, early 90's!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Better OS

Okay well both Mac OS X and almost any distro of the latest linux version are much better than windows! Windows sucks ***!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:33 PM

Car Info: 1
Originally posted by ScoobyWgn
Wouldn't even call it a debate...since linux is the obvious winner.

ahahahahaha
Old 01-28-2004, 03:37 PM

Re: PC tech/nerd/geek question...

Originally posted by DaveWRX
Im trying to connect to my Dads PC from my house so I can fix things remotely. Mainly for when we move so I can help him with stuff, but I cant connect. I am using VNC server on his end, I opened up ports 5900 and 5901 (from reading on the internet this is what you need to do) and still nothing. I disabled firewall and still nothing. He is running XP and its firewall. Any ideas?
i do believe that you need to forward ports 5800 to 5900 for vnc, in my experiences. also, if your dad is using a router, you need to make sure the ports are forwarded to his machine. i don't have much faith in the XP firewall as well... might want to just try disabling it to see if that'll work. try disabling all firewalls for the mean time until you're actually able to connect.

and if you're worried about him installing programs, you could always just take away his permissions to install programs.

is your dad on island? don't take it in to a computer shop, they'll charge you too much for doing too little.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:56 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Re: Re: PC tech/nerd/geek question...

Originally posted by wasabi
i do believe that you need to forward ports 5800 to 5900 for vnc, in my experiences. also, if your dad is using a router, you need to make sure the ports are forwarded to his machine. i don't have much faith in the XP firewall as well... might want to just try disabling it to see if that'll work. try disabling all firewalls for the mean time until you're actually able to connect.

and if you're worried about him installing programs, you could always just take away his permissions to install programs.

is your dad on island? don't take it in to a computer shop, they'll charge you too much for doing too little.
I gave up on VNC and am just using the Remote Assistance, works awesome for a MS product. (had to put that anti-MS comment in there)

He lives on North Shore so I just need to find a place I trust or something that he could call just in case he had hardware issues or something I couldnt resolve remotely from the mainland. I dont trust computer shops at all.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: PC tech/nerd/geek question...

I gave up on VNC and am just using the Remote Assistance, works awesome for a MS product. (had to put that anti-MS comment in there)

He lives on North Shore so I just need to find a place I trust or something that he could call just in case he had hardware issues or something I couldnt resolve remotely from the mainland. I dont trust computer shops at all.
let me know if you need any help. i wouldn't mind taking a trip to the north side, and that'll give me an excuse to go too.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: PC tech/nerd/geek question...

let me know if you need any help. i wouldn't mind taking a trip to the north side, and that'll give me an excuse to go too.