View Poll Results: Will Subaru Always be in Your garage?
For Life!!!!
62.50%
moved on to other things...
20.31%
sold mine, getting back in the game soon
4.69%
thinking about getting something better
12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

out of curiosity... grown up moved on, taking a break or die hard fan [loyalty poll]

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Originally Posted by RedStage
Used to live in Japan, for 10 years I played with Silvia's, Cefiro's, Skylines, and 180SX'

When I left Japan and came back to the US, I tried to put the car scene behind me. But driving the polar opposite (Chevy Astro Van) only made me miss the "performance" cars more.

After 1year and 3mos of being with out something with a turbo under the bonnet, I gladly gave up the Astro Van and bought a WRX.

Of course I did this while the wife was visiting Japan
Wow... Living in Japan for 10 years. Awesome!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by Mach5WRX

Now having said all this...the next car I buy will be a C6 vette.
after riding in steves(islandx) i have defintely raised my level of opinion on vettes... although his was an 01, the torque from 3rd gear in 20mph won me over- that and the weight factor... how refreshing it is to have an american car that actually doesnt weigh as much as a hummer...

although we are set back about 6 months... i hold true to getting my 911. wife gets hers 1st, then me... at least thats what she said.... we shall see-

aloha from the summit of *-^-mauna kea-^-*
Old 08-14-2006, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
i'm having a love-hate thing with my wrx....

there's a strong sentimental value, but then there are the days i wished things jus ran right. (new problem for this month: spedometer/odometer dead)

the wife doesn't want me getting an sti... but allows the legacy or forrester. we'll see how the wind blows next year. i'm contemplating on the evo or an is300 (the new ones haven't grown on me, yet).

i like some of the feedback on this thread, greg...
Old 08-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The funny thing is....I don't want an Impreza. I have nothing against them, but they are in some way, my competition.....my goal.

I always wanted to take something odd and make it quicker than an STi and EVO. I consider the Forester XT the fat middle child who wants to someday beat up his jock older brother STi. And to make things worse, he has a FOB cousin who is a genuine Forester STi who can't come over and play w/the Imprezas.

I guess I also enjoy the exclusivity of owning an '04/'05 FXT. You won't see one everyday and most of the time you do, it's an old person driving it.

I may be getting a truck to haul some bigger stuff and go off-roading, but I hope never to give up the Daddy Wagon.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Subaru's are the cars that first got me into the modding side of cars. I'm one of the younger members on this board (18: you heard it first ), and have actually never not owned a Subaru. First my '91 Legacy LS, then the Forester X I own right now, and soon a 1994 Impreza L project which will hopefully have a full JDM V2/V3 STi swap with RHD within the next year.

I seriously considered selling the Forester, and using hte money going twards the Impreza on picking up a used Audi A4 Avant. Though I admit that I am still tempted by the luxury and german engineering of the Audi, I've found it very hard to leave the Subaru Community. Recently, I went to a Audi meet with a buddy of mine and the feeling was not quite the same. The willingness to help, general knowledge, and plain 'ol creativity was not there to the same extent. Sure, there are great guys (and gals) in every car car comunnity, but the friendlyness of the Subaru community is unmatched. Everybody it seems is willing to help out with anything you need.

Add the greatness of the community, to the greatness of the cars and you have a awesome combination. Living in Colorado, I am in the mountains nearly every weekend of the year. In the winter this means lots of driving in less than disireable conditions. Though I've made quite a bit of money for my age (enough to afford my cars), I still had to look for fairly inexpensive vehicles that could also get me up the hills with ease. The Legacy I picked up for $1500, and the Forester for right around $10,000. Both are great fun to drive, and easily fit my needs. The Forester in particular may be ugly (gold, but it was cheap) and slow, but I wouldn't have it any other way . For example, this weekend I was able to play in a dirt parking lot doing a little r4lly-act10n, after driving up to the mountians with 2 passengers, 3 mountain bikes, 2 kayaks, and tons of stuff. It required the use of a basketcase, and I couldn't see out the rear view mirror, but I think that my experiance just goes to prove the versatility of Subaru's.

I'm sure that later on, after I'm done with school (and have a *cough* well paying *cough* full time job) I will be upgrading to something nicer, faster, and more "classy". However, if I have the budget I know that I will always want to have a Subaru in the stable, whether or not it is my daily driver.
Cheers
-Jeff
Old 08-14-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mach5WRX
***Disclaimer to nOObs and fanboys. I've owned a WRX and STi***

Now having said all this...the next car I buy will be a C6 vette.
Ha, ha, knowing you dan that'll be in like a year or less ? You go through cars faster than me Hell, it don't matter cause not many people on the boards know who either of us are.

BTW I miss my vette and hopefully I'll get a C6 sometime in the future, or if I can't afford it I'll just get another C5 Z06.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 PM

Oh yeah,

I learned to drive on a '93 L FWD, still have the car.....sitting in the driveway, runs but has a totally shot clutch. Plan to gut it and put in some sort of turbo awd transplant.....eventually. So I guess I'll always have a subie in the driveway.

Steve
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Steven.....v7 engine trans swap!!!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
I have always wanted to build supra and now I have my chance too. But, I really miss my STI. I say try a new project.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
i think at any point in time i will always have a subie, but if money allowed, i'd deff. go get some euro luxury. It's the nature of the beast. I am around a lot a well-off people at work, and they all kinda laugh at my wrx. I mean i park around AMG's, bimmers, corvettes, porche's, escalades and they all kinda look down on the wrx. Then again, they are at a higher payscale than me but....just a thought. If i was in my 50's like them, i'd wonder what i'd be driving.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by 808subaru
If i was in my 50's like them, i'd wonder what i'd be driving.
in my most humblest of tones i say this... i will have all my exotic cars waaaaayyy before i hit 50. i was just talking with 2 partners of mine last night about that- why in the world should we have to wait until we are too old to enjoy the cars of our dreams--- sad to say though i already bought(and sold) the 1st car of my dreams... now that we and the wife are in agreement... porsches are next on our list... she wants her licence plates to say HERS and mine HIS... but i was actually thinking along the lines of 8IN48

but we definitely are still keeping subies as our daily driver... even our wrx right now... the shape that it has become... its practically our beater

aloha from the summit of *-^-mauna kea-^-*
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
^^g, i totally agree w/ you. The problem is that $$$ factor. I don't mind working hard if there's a payoff in the end. Right now we put in 10-12 hours a day, and still can't keep up with the work. I gotta get transferred out to the commission jobs...only 4 more months till i'm eligible for transfer!!!