OT- (not performance related) cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
OT- (not performance related) cell phones

I have had nextel for 6 years, and they are charging me $224 for a new phone (i850), and since there are 2 phones on my account, it will be $448. So i wanted to see what the majority of you guys use. My plan is $165/mo for both phones, so i figure nextel could have given me a better deal. How's cingular?? Post up what plans you got, and how much it costs you a month. And also spare phones for nextel you wanna sell maybe? I'm testing the waters and want a free phone with a new company to switch to, unless i can stay with nextel.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Nextel drove me nuts the last yea or so after having been a customer for 5+ years. Switched to Cingular with a black RAZR and I'm lovin' it.

I did have to mod the phone to up the gain on the speaker, but once I did that it's been the best phone I've ever had.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
mobi...works good for me, except in wahiawa- poor coverage there for now...50 bucks/month unlimited...i never have to worry about going over minutes or too many text messages anymore...

i had nextel, and their customer service sucks...before i cancelled, they asked how they could keep me as a customer, and i told them to match mobi's deal, but they couldnt do it...:P
Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
whoa!

yeah been wondering the same thing for me as well since nextel is so ungodly expensive. they seem to have all these "hidden" taxes that no other company charges. also their phones are so damn expensive and the only way to seem to get a deal is to activate a new phone and get a new number.

Richard: how'd you mod your razr? i just don't like the fact that it so wide. i cannot complain about how thing it is but it's wider than other phones out there right now.

cingular looksl ike a good service. just wanted some feed back from everyone though.

If i do switch carriers i'll be porting my number.

Jon
Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 AM

only thing about MOBI is that it ONLY works in hawaii. If you go to the mainland it will NOT work.

My cousin works for mobi

Jon
Old 06-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
i got cingular and been pretty happy w/ it.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
i'm kind of new to this process of carrying your number w/ you, so do i need to set up the new service provider first, then cxl nextel, or can i cxl nextel before i go to the new company? (i.e. cingular?)
Old 06-08-2006, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
i have said this b4 and will say it again. ever since nextel went with sprint they have screwed everyone esp. me. last year when i did my taxes i spent 5k on my phone bills. and no this is no joke. it wasn't b/c i used my phone to much it was b/c they took away my free nights and weekends without telling me. long story short i got it up the azz with no lube.

now i got t-mobile and i love it i pay 60ish every month
Old 06-08-2006, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
i have had nextel for almost 8 years now. I was not impressed with the first few phones a had. But then i had the i730 for a while. It was cool but service got kind of sh!tty. So i bought a blackberry 7520. Couldnt be happier. I am paying 145 a month for:

No roaming charges
Free incoming calls
Free long distance
Free direct connect
1000 anytime minutes
unlimited nights and weekends
It also is about 50 a month for data and email (included in the 145)

I like nextel, yeah there are dropped calls here and there but i love the 2 way radio. All my friends and coworkers have it. Very convenient.

BTW - Blackberries sell for like 500........it was on sale over the holidays for 250. So half price was cool with me.
E
Old 06-08-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 808subaru
i'm kind of new to this process of carrying your number w/ you, so do i need to set up the new service provider first, then cxl nextel, or can i cxl nextel before i go to the new company? (i.e. cingular?)
Chris,

Do NOT cancel your service since your telephone number will go with it. if you want to port over the number you'll have to activate a new service first then tell them you want your number ported. if you cancel first then there will be no way you can get your number

Jon
Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
^^^yup find a new company first and have them port your # tho with nextel it will cost 20 to port your #.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
i have nextel -using the blackberry service(7100i) and i love it. the billing isn't something tobrag about since nextel has the highest fees of all carriers. my bill averages $170 a month.

no matter who you choose ... get your GE license and just write off your cell phone bill. (of course you'd like to have a business to justify it )

thats one reason why i don't complain too much about nextel- except that their customer service is NOT 24 hours-
the reasons why i have stayed with them so long is the DC,free incoming(big plus for me)and the unlimited data service... i can email while driving and receive them instantly... as well as word, PDF files and excel files.. i have to say that the blackberry server is pretty awesome considering its based in canada...

aloha from the summit of *-^-maunakea-^-*

Last edited by gdogg; 06-08-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 2003WRX
have you seen the sprint audiovox 6700? i'm going to switch to it next week... its got full web service... i'll be paying the same bill for more features... byebye nextel
Old 06-08-2006, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by iNfEk
only thing about MOBI is that it ONLY works in hawaii. If you go to the mainland it will NOT work.

My cousin works for mobi

Jon
jon, ask your cousin if it's true that roaming will start in july...a friend of mine told me yestderday a mobi rep attended a business meeting with them and told them that roaming will start in july and will cost 5-10 bucks more per month...and you just call mobi and tell them when you want the roaming active- so if you plan on going to the mainland in september, you just activate the roaming for september and you can cancel it when you get back...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:54 PM

Car Info: your mom.
[QUOTE=iNfEk}Do NOT cancel your service since your telephone number will go with it. if you want to port over the number you'll have to activate a new service first then tell them you want your number ported. if you cancel first then there will be no way you can get your numberJon[/QUOTE]

Word! I'm in the process of switching over from Sprint to Verizon, and am carrying 2 phones around with me til I can port my number.

Verizon has been good to me. 2 lines(family plan) with 700 minutes - $80. Another $10 for texting(per phone). And another $5 for unlimited internet(per phone.) Haven't had a problem with reception or service yet. And when we signed up, we got two LG V9800's for $150.

fun phone. texting is mad easy

Quick Reply: OT- (not performance related) cell phones