OT- Facebook addicts

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
21 here and I use Facebook and text and whip out my cell phone every chance I get (well kinda, I hate calling people). But I generally use these things to network, the main reason for their existence. If I see something cool/random/funny/deep/philosophical then yeah I will throw it up on Facebook. But for the most part I mainly use Facebook to plan parties and such, it is just really easy that way.

As far as cell phones go, I think it is a bit much for a teenager to have a cell phone. When I grew up I would always be on my bike riding around all over the neighborhood. A lot of my friends lived right around the corner and it was easy to just pedal over and see what they were up to. That was pretty great up until I moved. when I moved there was no one else my age on my block and the house was on the side of a hill so it was (and still is) a PITA to ride my bike anywhere. And now that everyone is so busy doing so many things it takes forever to go see them and connect when a simple phone call or text from your phone can get the same thing done in a matter of seconds and leaving more time to hang out and do whatever.

Originally Posted by STiAlain
http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Have you guys seen Food INC.? This makes FB look like God's gift to humanity.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=EXMUL3P4

You can watch it if you so desire.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Double post... my bad.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Though I too use facebook to not only keep up with my family left in Los Angeles & Kentucky but also to keep up with friends in the mainland since they're always busy. I admit at times, I tweek on FB but I guess cause its a trendy thing now.

I agree with Chris, J.V., Ryan,Josh, Jess and the rest about their opinions on FB. Unfortunately, the Big Move into the Digital Age has not only made modern devices a very Convienent tool but also made people "VERY LAZY" due to the versatility of the devices. Things are so SO Convienent now of days that I feel like the 90's Baby got it REAL EASY!! But thats beside the point.

As far as the "THE LOST ART" of conversating face to face, I beleive it has deteriorated due to technology evolving. I too admit that I text alot of my friends and good friends first before I call them and too tell you the truth, I feel like I lost the mediocore skill to not only confront girls but also holding a long coversation with them due to texting at my convienence. FML on my part. So Im trying to push my self to just atleast try to get to either talk to a stranger or meet a new stranger every day to rebuild my social skills even though its kinda awkward at times.

IMHO, Facebook is the same entity as MYSPACE which is the same as AsianAvenue and Zanga. Its just the modern version of it a social forums. But in all honesty, all things are great in moderation.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Car Info: STI
I don't think Facebook has decreased the "art" of conversing face to face. I think it has changed what people talk about and how they talk about it. But if everyone makes the change, then ...

I think the biggest change (that online communities bring) is really this rather large separation between information and meaning. There's so much information out there, and a lot of it is so deceptive that I think people feel that information is meaning. And the Internet is making it harder for people to critically assess information and then critically assess the meaning created by it.

And then when you listen to conversations (face to face), you hear people react to claims without an ability to assess them: 2012, subaru has gone mainstream, plastic is bad for you. There are these unending blurbs, which are often claims and interpretations, that people are afraid of but really don't understand how those blurbs came to be or what the hell they mean in the first place.

An example would be a sequence of numbers: 1 2 3 4 5 6. These numbers are just numbers. They're not facts. They represent values. What are the values representing? The numbers are increasing. That's an interpretation (meaning created from the values). And then there's a judgment. The increasing numbers are bad for the world!!!!!! We must unite and stop the NUMBERS!!! I think the Internet pushes people to this last judgment, and they aren't quite able to see that they're making multiple connections.

Think about this forum. Some members cannot separate data from people or companies (I find myself doing this same thing) Product Y is made by company X. Company X has a good reputation for quality. Product Y must be good in quality. But what are the components of product Y? Do you know?
It doesn't matter, does it? Because company X and product Y have been combined.
And then you see that the discussion becomes morphed, and it's now impossible to discuss Product Y altogether. The discussion really changes to Company X or in many cases it changes to a person.

I think Facebook is a good social outlet. But people communicate through judgements and these blurbs, and it changes the way they think.

Last edited by reido; 07-30-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by sneezerboi
I would take off my slippers and put them on my hands because they would make me run faster.
Nice, and I thought it was just me. Now it's time for my walk down memory lane.....

In any case, I'm older than most of you that have posted and like Jess stated, I did pretty much all of those things too. We played outside all day every day. I remember times when my parents brought me to tears when they said I couldn't go outside until I finished all my home work, washed both of the bathrooms, put away my laundry, and fed the dogs. I banged out all my chores out without saying sheet, because what the hell would you do if you couldn't go outside??? I remember going out in the woods behind my friends house and building a tree house. We used to sit up there and talk story, and shoot toads in the little river, all the while getting eaten up by mosquitos. We used to nail together pieces of wood to make pretend uzi's and machine guns and play war in the streets and outside each other's homes. We used to ride bike from our house up Pearlridge side all the way down to the bike path near Pearl Harbor and go crabbing and fishing, then ride back up the hill when it got dark.

The funniest thing (and quite possibly one of the reasons kids are the way they are) I think nowdays is that people can beat their kidz azzes if they get out of line. F that! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about coming home and just straight beating the kids azz, but EVERY kid needs a good azz whoopin to bring them back to reality and let them know what's up. Too many kids now days don't get beat down so they think they can run wild in the streets. I remember getting whacked with the vacuum cleaner hose by my mom the first time I said the F word. Trust me, I learned real quick. Back then, it wasn't about inflicting pain, but it was about learning respect and how do be accountable for your actions. I try and teach that to Jayden, and soon we'll be teaching that to Kellen too. Nothing in life is free, you work for what you want and you get what you get. Wait, so what were we talking about again? Hahahaha
Old 07-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Thanks to all who posted. It can be seen as a good thing (FB, and well the internet for that reason). I think it's hilarious when people take wikipedia and other things as actual TRUTH, and undeniable FACT. I remember doing reports in the library using encyclopedias. Now, i don't have kids, but i did take my high school cousin to the library to show him how we did things back in the day. It was so funny watching him actually SEARCH the library to find books on a topic I told him to do the old skool way.
Classic. Dewey decimal system FTW!! haha....
Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
they dont use the dewey decimal system anymore? they did the last time i went to a library!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:43 AM

Car Info: Renault Clio RS R27
I had a facebook account way before facebook was on the "web" and was mostly used by students to stay in touch after graduation.

Living in Tahiti, a small country. The is no need for Facebook because I will meet my friend one days or another for sure. So I never used facebook just to add people I know....

Now I'm in New Zealand and use facebook more often to keep close with them and feel a bit at home.

I do agree a lot of people are passing way to much time on it...
But hey! its life! just like ICQ before.... the world was complaning people are stuck on their screen... now chat is plain common and part of our daily life.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
I hate going to library for research. Absolutely think the card catalog is from another planet. Since the advent of the internet, research has been a breeze, for me at least.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
IMHO i think those new phones that are coming out like the new droid is cool but its just a money eater. i heard people having 94$ a month for a iphone phone bill for internet and unlimited txt. but technology is a good thing to have updated. without technology we wouldnt have cars or turbo. computers rule our life! the only thing is pretty stupid is telling everyone about your whole life and whats going on, on facebook or myspace.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Car Info: 08 Evo X
I used to HATE facebook when my (ex)wife was on it AAALLL DAY. but now i use it to spread my random thoughts and jokes. and it is a great networking tool.

and i text all the damn time because i dont wanna hold a phone converstaion for 20 minutes at a time when all i wanna say is "yo whats up? wanna hang out?" or something similar. haha on average i use about 20 minutes of talk time a month on my cell phone and close to 2000 text messages.

ive always been kind of a shy person but people like me, and Im still great in social settings if im comfortable.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Car Info: grandmas car
i am under 30 and i dont have a facebook...never did. i am always on aim/yahoo though-but it goes to my phone. for me, aim is the same as texting. i am too cheap to pay for the unlimitted text plan from at&t so i just IM instead-its the same thing IMO.