OT- Facebook addicts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
OT- Facebook addicts

I know this may offend some people, but esp. those in the age range of 18-24, people are addicted to texting and constant FB. I'm all for technology, but I'm afraid we use it ad-nauseum. People are'nt able to have conversations anymore they text. Those shows on MTV make me roll my eyes.
Now, i grew up until the age of 22 without a cellphone, and honestly we did ok. I make a concious effort to avoid FB and myspace b/c I want to live my life out in the world.
Looking for comments here from you all........and if i don't know you, stating your age would help me with a point of reference...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
I am 34 today and I fall in the born in the 70's category. I found the below so true of my time. The comments highlighted in red coincides with what you are saying.

To all the kids who survived the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets. There weren't any plugs in the electric outlets and some of us learned not to stick scissors blades into them.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no crumple zones to absorb accident damage, no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up truck on a warm day was always a special treat. When we rode our bikes, we had no helmets to protect our heads. We undertook some risks when we hitchhiked.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We fished along canals and lakes chock full of water moccasins on land frequented by rattlesnakes. Sometimes we swam or were pushed into the same canals and we survived.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and none of us actually died from this. We did have a crude saying for those friends who used too much lip over the bottle opening though.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter, drank McArthur's or Velda Farms' whole milk chock full of fat, ate ice cream full of fat, ate too many Royal Castle hamburgers and too much pizza, and drank Kool-Aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because we were always outside playing!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, swimming in dangerous newly dug rockpits occasionally, as long as we were back home by the time the streetlights came on. Some parents would yell or whistle loudly when it was time to come home. Other than that, no one was able to reach us all day long. And we were just fine.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable or satellite TV, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms! A lot of us didn't have air-conditioning in our homes until the 70's, but it seemed like we had ocean breezes to cool us off somehow.

We had FRIENDS and we went outside and found them! We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. Some of us ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th thru 14th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to friends' homes and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts, often at parks miles away that we had to ride bikes to, and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law and the police officers who nailed us!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. But we had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all!

If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

The above kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?

Last edited by 4080wrx; 07-28-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 01 Impreza 2.5RS (GM6) & '08 Evo MR
ummmmm seriously?!.... you had to go that deep?... the TOPIC is pretty simple.. so go straight to the point when you answer!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JESS IS A DORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok i'm done talking.

but i have to dig in Chris - FB is the only thing that's keeping me sane in Korea.. other than that, I will rot in this hell! ... since I really don't have a ... the what's so called LIFE here going on.... =( so i'm excused! lol!

oh and I will be 29 in 5 days ;-P

Last edited by 4080's_ReiJay; 07-28-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: .......
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx [enter name here]
FIRST!...HAPPY B-DAY Jess?!?! since you say "I am 34 today"

second: yes i do agree that the art of holding a conversation is lost these days. It has been changed to texting, tweeting, blogging, and facebook status updates. I am not gonna be a hypocrite and say that its bad because i do text and i do facebook. Can i live without it yes, im only an 80's baby but i do agree with you in that .

i was the kid that went out and played football all day

went trecking through the woods where our parents said not to go to cause the monsters will get me but we did it anyways cause they said we couldnt.

went on bike rides with friends to the other side of town then biked back cause we could (like you said until street lights came on)

cell phone? what was that? i didnt have one till i bought one my self at 20. its just a convient tool now.

but here is where i do use it...texting i use cause im in meetings all the time and its the only way i can get ahold of people while still paying attention. facebooking is cause im military, its a good way for me to keep in touch with a lot of friends i meet here and there. but yes i do call alot of people over the weekends and just talk vs chatting. there are plus a minuses about the over use of everything but just like the tanqueray guy says....ALWAYS IN MODERATION!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
FB addict here but I have friends... yes, real friends. I just use FB as a calling place. I find talking on the phone... awkward at times. Though I have no problem talking face to face with people.

Oh yea, forgot... turned 33 this month. Old age...

Last edited by luktang; 07-29-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
I'm probably the youngest to reply being only 21 but I believe I am a little mature for my age and see it the same way you do. My parents grew up in those times and raised me the same way they were brought up. I'm still an 80's baby (barely) but I totally believe all the kids now are so spoiled. Frickin 10 year old whining when they cant have an iPhone 4. I work in a petstore, I see kids all day with no manners at all. They just walk allover their parents (Not all parents are like this) and I can see how I was raised and how many of them today are raised its a lot different.

As for facebook, yeah I use it. And I know I use it too much. But, many of you know I can still hold a conversation and know how to be respectful. It is a lost art.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
I'm 27 now. I was using my pager for most of high school until I got my Nokia 7120 with interchangeable faceplates and flashing battery and antenna. I rocked at Snake on level 9.

I'm on FB quite a bit just because it's easy, along with the various forums I'm registered on. I thank my phone for that. It makes browsing stuff that easy. I did stay away from FB for about a month and didn't miss it at all.

I too can appreciate walking (or riding my bike) to a friend's house to see if they can come out to play football in the street where I would take off my slippers and put them on my hands because they would make me run faster.

I view FB as a decently useful networking medium to stay in touch with friends and relatives.

What gets me is when people take FB (and like sites) too seriously and personally. I've seen people get salty when they don't get comments or replies. I remember when the top friends on Myspace mattered to some people. I guess this is the age we live in.

People work harder and harder to do less and less, while computers and machines do more and more and we get lazier and lazier.

I know for a fact that several people on HIIC would not even see each other if it weren't for these forums. It wouldn't be as easy to plan meats and cruises or pool and share ideas and knowledge. I could easily search for DIYs on i-club or Nabisco on my phone while out away from my computer.

This world is as impersonal as it has ever been and I don't see it getting better in that regard. However, I do appreciate more the friends who do just call up to talk or come by randomly and hang out in person.

And like JV said, things are good in moderation.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
I'm 27 and I can remember my single mother working 3rd shift at a mill and going to school full time, leaving the kids to fend for themselves with the oldest one only 10 years old. I used to stand on an upside down 5 gallon bucket to cook my own food if I wanted cooked food.

I started roofing houses without safety equipment when I was 13 years old. We didnt have paintball guns, we would just use BB's and you could tell when you hit someone because they would scream.

It was a better time in the 80's, where you could shake a man's hand on a deal and it meant somehthing. where you could kick a kids *** at school and just sit out for the rest of recess (where kids played on dangerous contraptions and tall slides without gay hand sanitizer).

They didn't have all the stupid expensive special needs programs in schools and the taxpayers didn't pay for the slower kids to catch up. The kid is slow, good for him. The world needs people to mop floors, stock shelves, and cook burgers. The slow kid is still going to get out of college being slow, do you really want a slightly slower person filling your prescription, while your tax dollars are wasted to further advance other slow people?

People need to revert back to getting back what they put in, and not rely on others to do everything for them.

If you cant afford to have children....stop pooping them out. If a person without insurance goes to the hospital for an illegal drug overdose, let them die.

If a person is stupid enough to walk across kam hwy in Aiea and get hit by a car, they deserve it.

But instead we promote stupidity, lazyness, and irresponsibility by making special provisions for the people that should be falling to the bottom. These people shoud be reducing in numbers naturally, but we keep helping them wastefully until we all fail as a civilization.

Who has seen the movie "idiocracy"? It's happening right in front of us right now, the people living right now will make the decisions that will make a difference in the human race lasting only 200 more years, or thousands of years.

Society has stoped rewarding the stronger, faster, and smarter. Society is now taking from this demographic and promoting the growth of the weaker, slower, less intelligent.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Car Info: Pasoi!
^Tyko Treasons?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
haha, but I am speaking about all races.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
where's the "like" button?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI Wagon
i drank from a hose before..and i was born in the 80s haha
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Only reason I check facebook is because I can get to it from my iPhone and at work I have my phone on me all day long. I don't talk on the phone at all (about one hour a month) but I do send a crazy amount of tex messages. It's faster and a way better way to talk and connect with my group of friends, I'm goo for about 5,000-7,500 tex per month!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 07STI
http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Have you guys seen Food INC.? This makes FB look like God's gift to humanity.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
As most of you who know me in person know, I have trouble conversating in real life anyway. Been like this from a very young age, way before myface and spacebook. I've been sort of an anti-social all my life, so I don't think my facebook or iPhone have "hurt" me in that regard, if anything they've help me to become MORE social. I would have never made friends up here with out the internet, sad as it sounds of course. Please remember there are those out there who just lack social skills.

That being said, I can see where you folks are coming from. Oh yeah, 24 (on Ssaturday anyway) here btw. So yeah, young I know,

Quick Reply: OT- Facebook addicts