One more WRX in Oahu

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Car Info: Hi, I'm John.
One more WRX in Oahu

Hey.
My name is John and I'm moving to Oahu later this week. I have a 02 hybrid wrx. I have a couple questions for you guys:

What oil are most of you guys running? Do you use a different weight due to the heat and lack of cold?

My car looks relatively stock except for the FMIC, 18s, mudflaps, and slight drop with H tech springs. What is the process I need to go through to have the car registered? Do I need to immediately register it in Hawaii or can I keep my Oregon plates till the expire? I'm confused at what this recon and safety check stuff is?

I'm looking for apartments near the base. Is there anywhere in particular I should or shouldn't look? I was thinking the Iaea or Pearl City area would be ideal for traffic to work.

Are there regular subaru meets and get togethers? Who do I need to talk to inorder to get involved in that?

I'm sure I'll think of some other questions, but that's a good start haha.

Thanks fellas.

John
Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
First off welcome! What do you mean by hybrid?? You could run your Original plates for awhile but I think you might have to mail your payments for registration to Oregon but dont take my word for it. Each state might vary. I know a few peeps running Hawaii plates in California for quite a long time. As far as demographics, there should be a local website describing each area. Just google it. As far as meets go, HIIC has been going strong for 10 yrs.+ and have weekly meets at various Starbucks locations.

walt
Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
Hey.
My name is John and I'm moving to Oahu later this week. I have a 02 hybrid wrx. I have a couple questions for you guys:

What oil are most of you guys running? Do you use a different weight due to the heat and lack of cold?

My car looks relatively stock except for the FMIC, 18s, mudflaps, and slight drop with H tech springs. What is the process I need to go through to have the car registered? Do I need to immediately register it in Hawaii or can I keep my Oregon plates till the expire? I'm confused at what this recon and safety check stuff is?

I'm looking for apartments near the base. Is there anywhere in particular I should or shouldn't look? I was thinking the Iaea or Pearl City area would be ideal for traffic to work.

Are there regular subaru meets and get togethers? Who do I need to talk to inorder to get involved in that?

I'm sure I'll think of some other questions, but that's a good start haha.

Thanks fellas.

John
wow where to start.... well a search would be good since most of this has been covered, but like you i'm too lazy to search soo...

if your motor is mostly stock then 5-10w30 should be fine.

since you're military you don't have to do your registration here, when you in process they will probably fill you in. you can get an out of state exemption for the registration but you must get a safety inspection. as your car is you aren't legal to pass but might pass anyway, just depends on the guy doing your safety. in order to be sure you will pass you will need to get a reconstruction permit. read about that in reed-o's thread at the top of the page.

what base you're going to be at would help with the housing question....since i don't know i'm gonna say you're best bet is a van down by the river

as for meets usually they are posted and up every friday. they are open to anyone on i-club so no need an invite, just come on down.

whew i need a drink, anyone got a beer?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Originally Posted by dub81
First off welcome! What do you mean by hybrid?? You could run your Original plates for awhile but I think you might have to mail your payments for registration to Oregon but dont take my word for it. Each state might vary. I know a few peeps running Hawaii plates in California for quite a long time. As far as demographics, there should be a local website describing each area. Just google it. As far as meets go, HIIC has been going strong for 10 yrs.+ and have weekly meets at various Starbucks locations.

walt
you beat me to it walt, guess that means you're buying the first round
Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
What do you mean by hybrid?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
welcome! yay, more bugeyes.

please define hybrid. pictures?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Car Info: Hi, I'm John.
Hey guys, thanks for all the answers. Sorry for the confusion about hybrid, but I meant a hybrid as in STi shortblock mixed with WRX heads. That plus a 20g and some goodies to go with it. No pictures at the moment, my main computer is in a box somewhere between Portland and Oahu. But if you see a PSM bugeye that has Oregon plates and looks lost, that's me.

I'll be working at Pearl Harbor Naval Base.

Thanks for the info. I'm excited to be heading over that way.

For the Safety Inspection it seems to be hit or miss. Is this the kind of situation where you pay cash and 'accidentally' overpay in order to pass? Obviously don't mention names of places on a public forum, but are there certain places to go (like gas stations or something?)?

And I'll buy the first round of beers when I get there

Last edited by Thug Nasty; 07-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 PM

sounds like a fun car bugeye FTW
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
More bugeyes are always welcome!

I need to come out to meets more often, paddling season is no good for that though, basically kills my Friday and Saturday nights.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx [enter name here]
you hear that infek not only more bugeye luv but it seems there is another reason for todosomethingtonight.com
Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 PM

LOL.. true true
Old 07-22-2009, 08:17 PM

Car Info: 09 WrX Pearl White 5dr hb / 04 Wrx White
I might see you. I'm working security at pearl harbor. I have a 09 wrx white 5dr hb.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Car Info: 2005 San Remo Red WRX
Hey John,
Good to see another "NEW" Oregonian in Honolulu. I just got here today also. I go pick up my car tomorrow. If you see a Red 05 Rex on base, that would be me. Im hoping to make it out tomorrow night.
Andy
Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 04 sti
Sup John, Im a corpsman working at shipyard clinic. If you see a silver 04 STi thats me. I'll see you around......untill i get my orders
Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by 04sleeper
you beat me to it walt, guess that means you're buying the first round

Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
Hey guys, thanks for all the answers. Sorry for the confusion about hybrid, but I meant a hybrid as in STi shortblock mixed with WRX heads. That plus a 20g and some goodies to go with it. No pictures at the moment, my main computer is in a box somewhere between Portland and Oahu. But if you see a PSM bugeye that has Oregon plates and looks lost, that's me.

I'll be working at Pearl Harbor Naval Base.

Thanks for the info. I'm excited to be heading over that way.

For the Safety Inspection it seems to be hit or miss. Is this the kind of situation where you pay cash and 'accidentally' overpay in order to pass? Obviously don't mention names of places on a public forum, but are there certain places to go (like gas stations or something?)?

And I'll buy the first round of beers when I get there
Your subie's sounds very beastly!!

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
What do you mean by hybrid?
Wattup Ryan, how's it hangin??

Quick Reply: One more WRX in Oahu