oil change noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Car Info: 2007 wrx
oil change noob

hey I'm thinking about changing my oil myself, but this is the first time I will be doing it on my car (wrx 07) and I was wondering if anybody from the Mililani side or around here wants to help me. I could even pay you a little. I just don't want to F it up. Eventually I will get the valve. thanks :
Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM

Car Info: Pasoi!
its very easy to do man. if ya do it yourself, remember to check if the gasket of the old filter comes off before you put on the new one.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
Sent PM....
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Haole-Pino
Sent PM....
thanks got it.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Get a Fumoto drain valve. That will save you from buying a crush washer every time you drain the oil and allow you to drain the oil easily. You can also look into a Canton Mecca oil filter. You may or not be able to justify it, but it is an awesome filter.

San
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Changing oil is extremely easy to do. I'll save all the stuff like "you shouldn't own a car and not know how to change the oil" for someone else.

Just remember to put your oil box a little more towards the passenger side then you think because the initial oil splooge will shoot a little wide
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by oldmansan
Get a Fumoto drain valve. That will save you from buying a crush washer every time you drain the oil and allow you to drain the oil easily. You can also look into a Canton Mecca oil filter. You may or not be able to justify it, but it is an awesome filter.

San
wow.. i just might check them out. you are right though you have to "justify" buying these

Thanks!

Jon

Originally Posted by squ1re
hey I'm thinking about changing my oil myself, but this is the first time I will be doing it on my car (wrx 07) and I was wondering if anybody from the Mililani side or around here wants to help me. I could even pay you a little. I just don't want to F it up. Eventually I will get the valve. thanks :
you own an 07 WRX... this is great that you're wanting to do it yourself. You can look in your owners manual which will give you a idea of what's involved in changing your own.

You will need a 17mm socket and ratchet, it is a good idea to replace the drain plug crush washer. Here is the Subaru Part Number: 11126AA000 (I have posted it on another thread). You will need to replace your oil filter at least every 3k miles or 3 months whatever comes first. The recommended oil type is 5w30 per the owners manual. Since we live in Hawaii we do not need it so thin. I use 10w30 but for now I would stick with the recommended ratings.

The easiest way to learn about your car is just to get under there and start looking.

What kind of car did you own previously? Did you do the oil changes on any other cars before?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Subaru is pretty damned easy to change the oil versus Hondas and Nissan I-4s btw.

The oil filter is on the bottom not in the back by the firewall. I frickin hate that!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM

i'm pretty sure how to do it
i'm just worried about getting that splash thing off. thanks for everybody's help and some people are willing to help me in person.
i'm glad subaru has a pretty cool community
Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 PM
VIP Member

It's like 5 screws and a few pop rivets...you'll be fine.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
Originally Posted by bpang1
It's like 5 screws and a few pop rivets...you'll be fine.
Uh...I hope you don't mean that there are 5 screws involved in changing his oil lol.

Yeah, make sure the rubber gasket comes out with the old filter...I know from experience.

Imagine a car with a new filter, filled to the correct amount with all synthetic oil...girlfriend starts it up for me, here an interesting sound and suddenly it's all on the driveway...I must have spent atleast 90 bucks to get the damn thing done. Lesson learned =)
Old 11-21-2007, 02:01 AM

Car Info: Pasoi!
^oh yea, just a littlebit more though. I was changing the autotran filter.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
+1 on the fumoto drain valve.... will save the threads on your oil pan as well....
Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
I also highly recomend the Fumoto valve.
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Se...lts.asp?Cat=40

You can get it with a nipple (hehehe) or without. If you get the one with the nipple then you can attach some vinyl tubing to the end & let it drain into your box that way (no spills or sprays when it's windy outside). Check with others who have this on their WRX to see if there are any clearance issues with the nipple. Mine seems to be OK with my Leggy.

You can buy the tubing by the roll from Home Depot... City Mill has some too

There are so many filters to choose from & everyone will have their own preference. I use the Purolator PureOne filter but couldn't find it locally. But I did find them on Amazon.com surpringly & usually buy 10 at a time to get free shipping (then I split it up the 10 with a friend). You might be able to buy less than that & still qualify for free shipping.

Oh & another thing I learned from someone else... I use a large Solo plastic cup & put it over the oil filter when I'm removing it. You can loosen the filter first with your hands & then twist it off with the cup surrounding the filter. I can usually remove my filter without a single drop of oil hitting the ground.

Last edited by substitude; 11-21-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added content
Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM

sweet when i get enough money i will probably get one.

Quick Reply: oil change noob