Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by luktang
Pr0n.
+1!
This man speaks truth!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Ha ha...I started looking at the banana and imagining chucky doing that while watching ****.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 AM
VIP Member

Oooooooooh nooooooooooooo
Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

Anyone have any experience with the following gyms/dojo? Thanks!
http://www.grappling-unlimited.com/
http://www.shobukanjudo.org/
http://www.lsomt.com/
http://www.myspace.com/tiger_muay_thai (Careful of the loud music)
http://www.hmckickboxing.com/ (I know some folks have said they trained here before, but how is it nowadays?

Last edited by Choku Dori; 09-17-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
wow... looking at places to scrap already...
Old 07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

I figure those places are better than scrapping at Zanzabar; I mean, look at what happened to BJ Penn
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Hey, does anyone know anything about a teacher named Masa Teruya? I hear he teaches out of the Mo'ili'ili Community Center, and he runs a catering business behind the Kozo Sushi near there. I found out about him from a Shotokan guy that lives in my building
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Car Info: Storme..
Name:  founders.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  28.0 KB

We used to be heavily martial arts based..

now that lion dance is king.. were more focused on that.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
banned

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Hey, does anyone know anything about a teacher named Masa Teruya? I hear he teaches out of the Mo'ili'ili Community Center, and he runs a catering business behind the Kozo Sushi near there. I found out about him from a Shotokan guy that lives in my building
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I used to train under him long ago on the side.
He has a very Japan based teaching style, slaps kids in the face, etc..
He also used to have a Kyokushin sandan teaching there, but I think they parted ways because Teruya Sensei is pretty authoritative.

I heard he stopped teaching though. It's been years since I went back. It used to be on the third floor of the building if I remember correctly.

I would train with Funakoshi Monday and Wednesdays, and Lowe Shihan on Thursday and Teruya on Tuesdays (I think).
But when I hit college, I just stayed with Funakoshi and don't know what Teruya has been up to.

If you do go, you should definitely not watch while they practice and approach him like you would "American' style.

Last edited by reid-o; 09-16-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 AM
VIP Member

Pete: A-HA! So you lion danced! Nice!

Reid: OMG, I HAVE to talk you more. Thank you very much for the info!
Hey, is the Kyokushin Dojo under Lowe Shihan still active and/or accepting new students? It's a place that I'm interested in but am a little apprehensive about visiting, since there isn't much info available online for them and it seems like very few people around here know much about it.
As an aside, what style did Teruya Sensei teach?
Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
banned

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Pete: A-HA! So you lion danced! Nice!

Reid: OMG, I HAVE to talk you more. Thank you very much for the info!
Hey, is the Kyokushin Dojo under Lowe Shihan still active and/or accepting new students? It's a place that I'm interested in but am a little apprehensive about visiting, since there isn't much info available online for them and it seems like very few people around here know much about it.
As an aside, what style did Teruya Sensei teach?
Thanks again!

Teruya is Shorin ryu, but they kumite with Kyokushin rules. They're sort of like shotokan kihon with kyokushin training methods, lots of bag kicking, kicking each other, push ups and situps, but their kata and kihon are definitely cleaner (than kyokushin) becuase of the way it's taught.

I found it good training, but it made me so slow

I'm not sure about Lowe Shihan. I trained for like a year there in college, but I didn't like it. It wasn't him or the training, but it's so small and so little people that it's hard to really train, ya know? I think he stopped teaching, but I'm not sure. It's hard becuase, although he's a senior instructors, there's no one seroius that trains (or that's serious about competition at least when I was there). I'm not saying that the dojo was junk--it wasn't--but you need a couple young guys who push you, and I wasn't getting that there at the time.

They "used" to train at the park near the Hawaiian studies Building.

Last edited by reid-o; 09-17-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by reid-o
Teruya is Shorin ryu, but they kumite with Kyokushin rules. They're sort of like shotokan kihon with kyokushin training methods, lots of bag kicking, kicking each other, push ups and situps, but their kata and kihon are definitely cleaner (than kyokushin) becuase of the way it's taught.

I found it good training, but it made me so slow

I'm not sure about Lowe Shihan. I trained for like a year there in college, but I didn't like it. It wasn't him or the training, but it's so small and so little people that it's hard to really train, ya know? I think he stopped teaching, but I'm not sure. It's hard becuase, although he's a senior instructors, there's no one seroius that trains (or that's serious about competition at least when I was there). I'm not saying that the dojo was junk--it wasn't--but you need a couple young guys who push you, and I wasn't getting that there at the time.

They "used" to train at the park near the Hawaiian studies Building.
Gotcha.

Huh, too bad on both counts, I guess I like the idea of full contact Shorin ryu, and I like Kyokushin, but considering that both schools are closing/closed is kinda sad. I trained out of an offshoot school from Kyokushin called World Oyama Karate for a short time, and it was a good experience since they were a competition-oriented, full contact knockdown school with lots of strong guys and a good sensei. I was actually kinda excited to have the chance to train with Lowe Shihan and the IKO1, but I guess I came too late
Would you know of any other full contact/knockdown karate schools left? Or would I have to resort to Muay Thai, MMA, or Kajukenbo (LoL) instead?
Thanks again Reid, I really appreciate your help!

Last edited by Choku Dori; 09-17-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Car Info: none
I trained at HMC for a summer and the instruction is really good. Also the people there are friendly and train hard - so you won't get a partner that is lazy. Friday sparring can get a bit intense but I think I learned the most during it.

As far as Muay Thai, I trained up in Spokane while I went to college. I don't think it's slow at all - nothing like a brutal leg kick to chop em down
picked up some wing chun from that gym too, but I never found a use for it other than quick slapping friends

If you like Judo, u can come train with me at Tenri Judo in Nu'uanu!

Last edited by surfaboi75; 09-17-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 AM
VIP Member

surfaboi75, thanks for getting back to me with info on HMC and Tenri Judo. They're both schools that I've been looking into. I might just have to pay you a visit sometime!

-Ryan

P.S. Your name's Mike, right? I'm sure I can recognize you if I stop by Tenri Judo
Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 AM

Car Info: none
yup, I'm there at Tenri Judo for the advanced class, 7:30-9 MWF...i've only been going Monday Wednesday lately though

Quick Reply: The Official HIIC Martial Arts Thread