The Official HIIC Martial Arts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:34 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Originally Posted by yamatodamashii
im at HMC kickboxing...our head kickboxing instructor is haru shimanishi, trained matt hughs, dennis alexio, charuto verissimo, and many more i cant think of at the moment...our brother gym is AMC pankration...i recommend haru due to his experience as a fighter and trainer overall...and the atmosphere at the gym is very cool, nobody competn against each other, everyones here to advance each other...i highly recommend HMC...but there are places like grappling unlimited, 808 fightfactor, Jesus is Lord (recommended as well), and a few others im not to sure about...
but if was to switch schools, id go with Jesus is Lord...very humble fighters, and VERY good...
My old co-worker, Kyle Takao, trained at AMC. Do you know if he still trains? I haven't heard of him in recent fights.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:28 PM

Car Info: s2
ya...damn dat guy is badass...he is on the shorter side...but damn, quick, hits hard, and loads of experience=pretty dangerous...best thing, hes a humbo guy, and cool to joke with...
Old 11-22-2005, 10:22 PM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
mario: you have a point, but i dont agree with some of the techniques. my IT was a former shoot/pancration fighter aka: cage fighting. he didnt agree with that stuff either. so he taught us in his squad his own stuff...much better IMO. just me. but also, you have to enjoy what you are doing to learn.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Bump!

I figured I'd revive this thread since I'd like to find a gym now that I'm moving to Honolulu.

Since my initial post, I've added some Kosen Judo to my repertoire Kosen Judo is a form of judo that combines the standup of Kodakan (Olympic-style) Judo with the ground fighting of BJJ. It's a nice supplement to my Muay Thai foundation (along with a short stint in Kyokushin Kaikan Karate due to an invitation from a friend).

Only problem is, I've been out of training for a couple of years now, would love to get back into it. I'd like to find a gym to train at regularly, plus I'd love to trade tips with fellow HIIC'ers. I've all ready rolled with luktang so far meh heh heh...

Mahalo, guys!

Last edited by Choku Dori; 07-01-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Wow...revival is right..

I remember reading this when you posted it originally...

I've practiced ****o-Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate, TaeKwon-Do, Kendo, and currently Wado-Ryu Karate.

Hawaii is an awesome place to immerse youself into the martial arts world!

Well...my first style looks like it's been bleeped due to the partial word...I'll spell it out a different way: Shi to - Ryu...a very old and respected form of Karate in Japan.

Last edited by Island Style; 07-01-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Haha, you have a good memory
It's not so common to see traditional martial artists in this "Just Scrap" era of everyone claiming to know MMA
To be honest, the only thing that really kept me from continuing on in Kyokushin Kaikan is the fact that I absolutely hate kata Otherwise, it was a really fun experience and I learned a lot.

P.S. Is there a big kendo scene on O'ahu? I used to go out with a kendoka and learned a few techniques from her the hard way haha!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Car Info: Justy
Originally Posted by bpang1
Screw all of you f@gs...I'm gonna go get Master Roshi to teach me how to shoot Kamehameha Waves at you all day long!!!

[Dork Hat On]
HAHAHA! Thank you Blake you made me LOL.

Originally Posted by Chibby Goku
My old co-worker, Kyle Takao, trained at AMC. Do you know if he still trains? I haven't heard of him in recent fights.
Originally Posted by mario
Hey X-Factor don't knock Marine Corps Martial arts until you have actually put some time into it. I may be a gray belt but train at a brown belt level w/ a 1st degree black belt IT. I guaranty will put alot a hurt on some people real quick. I think the only reason you say that too is because who ever your IT is ain't doing something right. Just my opinion
Whoa, Chibby and Mario! How you guys been? Its been a while since you guys have been on here.

Last edited by WRX-Zero; 07-01-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Not a big one...

Originally Posted by Choku Dori

P.S. Is there a big kendo scene on O'ahu? I used to go out with a kendoka and learned a few techniques from her the hard way haha!
heh heh...yeah, when you tagged on the "men"...you definitely know it...my instructor was from Japan...all 5' of him (Japan national champ), but in the dojo...he looked 7' tall and lightning quick to boot...

They have a few small schools here and there in Honolulu that I have heard of, the most visible club that I know trains in the Japanese Cultural Center in Moilili...Saturdays I think.

Last edited by Island Style; 07-02-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Island Style
heh heh...yeah, when you tagged on the "men"...you definitely know it...my instructor was from Japan...all 5' of him (Japan national champ), but in the dojo...he looked 7' tall and lightning quick to boot...

They have a few small schools here and there in Honolulu that I have heard of, the most visible club that I know trains in the Japanaese Cultural Center in Moilili...Saturdays I think.
Kote stings like a be0tch too
Same with those errant shots to the neck/shoulder area haha.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by WRX-Zero
HAHAHA! Thank you Blake you made me LOL.

Thank you...I aim to please...you.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Ryan broke up with the Kendoka because he found out she got a bigger "stick" than him. LOL. j/p

Damn, this thread is back from the dead. I'm fairly new to the martial art scene. Longing to learn something for a long time. So took a "MMA" course with emphasis on basic striking (boxing) and ground work (BJJ). I had really good instructors that teaches solid fundamentals. I had a great time and I lost 10+ lbs.

Now I'm taking Muay Thai to further improve my striking. I look at these arts as a great form of exercise and personal development. I ain't learning this stuff to prove I got grapefruits in my pants.

I have the honor to "roll" with Choku Dori aka the Human Weapon couple weeks ago. It's more like a BJJ pwnage clinic for me. But also very ghey.

I wonder if there's any place that teaches SAMBO here. There's where all the nasty stuffs are at~!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by luktang

I have the honor to "roll" with Choku Dori aka the Human Weapon couple weeks ago. It's more like a BJJ pwnage clinic for me. But also very ghey.
What kind of lube did you all end up going with? I prefer Pepto Bismol.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
L&L Katsu sauce...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I'll start this one up too:
My style is Muay Thai, which in my opinion is the strongest striking style around. But more than just that, it's a window into Thai history and culture! From the attire of the fighters to the opening ceremonies of the Wai Kru and Ram Muay, Thailand's rich history and culture come alive every night in stadiums all over Thailand.

More info on Muay Thai: www.wmtc.nu

Unfortunately, I've been too busy these days to go back to my gym so I've been training independently to just retain what I've learned thus far
Wow!! Didnt know that you and many other people taking up Muay Thai.. other Martial artist practitioners say that it is too slow and there is no ground tactics to it. But thats why I took it with couple of my other high school friends. Ryan, I got a video that My master and I recorded on our trip in 2001 to Thailand. Pure Muay thai fighting versus a Japan shootfighting club. I'll let you borrow it if you want. What kinda meditation style do you guys practice??

Originally Posted by luktang
Any good Muay Thai gym in Hawaii?
The last time I heard that HMC has a Muay Thai program but that was like in '05. IDK.. But I've taken my lesson from Master Vinjae(forgot how to spell his first name)Kam at Manoa..Short 5'0 ft. thailandish guy with some messed up shins. Stopped going in '06 but Im sure his still there if you wanna check it out.

- I personally want to learn the JEDI WAYS and too become a SUPER SAIYAN,master Bankai, and posses the powers of the demon Fox!!

Last edited by dub81; 07-02-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by yamatodamashii
im at HMC kickboxing...our head kickboxing instructor is haru shimanishi, trained matt hughs, dennis alexio, charuto verissimo, and many more i cant think of at the moment...our brother gym is AMC pankration...i recommend haru due to his experience as a fighter and trainer overall...and the atmosphere at the gym is very cool, nobody competn against each other, everyones here to advance each other...i highly recommend HMC...but there are places like grappling unlimited, 808 fightfactor, Jesus is Lord (recommended as well), and a few others im not to sure about...
but if was to switch schools, id go with Jesus is Lord...very humble fighters, and VERY good...
Brend. do you know a guy name PONCE?? I know he trained there awhile back but not sure about now. 5'8-5'9 tanned skin guy.

Quick Reply: The Official HIIC Martial Arts Thread