The Official HIIC Martial Arts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
as a child my dad took me and my brother to aikido for years in hilo. in high school he felt we were mature enough to learn the kung fu that he had cultivated throughout his lifetime. when i left home i started training MMA with my friends from JIL gym(of ray "braddah" cooper fame) - and ground techniques definitely are my new passion-

i just wish i had the dedication that my father had...but then again back in those days my dad needed it to survive... for he was somewhat a misfit with deformities in his hands... so kung fu was his outlet and vengance(sp?)

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Vengeance
Old 11-18-2005, 12:22 AM

Car Info: Slower than the guy with all the money :(
Chicken Choking Style. Purely solo,no sparring !!!!! Also known as spanking monkey!!!!
J/K.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:13 AM

Car Info: Storme..

8 years of Fut Ga/Hung Ga style kung fu and Chinese lion dance.. since i was in middle school, and to this day still at it, except i havent practiced kung fu for 3 or 4 year now because lion dance has taken over so widely.

Heres some pictures of us, team hawaii in the Canada international lion dance competition

it's been so long since ive practiced kung fu, i wish i hadnt stopped

Last edited by lostUNCERTAIN; 11-18-2005 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Any good Muay Thai gym in Hawaii?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:00 PM

Car Info: s2
im at HMC kickboxing...our head kickboxing instructor is haru shimanishi, trained matt hughs, dennis alexio, charuto verissimo, and many more i cant think of at the moment...our brother gym is AMC pankration...i recommend haru due to his experience as a fighter and trainer overall...and the atmosphere at the gym is very cool, nobody competn against each other, everyones here to advance each other...i highly recommend HMC...but there are places like grappling unlimited, 808 fightfactor, Jesus is Lord (recommended as well), and a few others im not to sure about...
but if was to switch schools, id go with Jesus is Lord...very humble fighters, and VERY good...
Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
X-Factor and yamatodamashii: I'd love to trade standup for grappling/groundfighting, but unfortunately I'm not in Hawai'i at the moment Still stuck in the Bay Area haha. It's coming around almost 2 years or so of Muay Thai for me. The funny thing is, I'm Chinese but 6'1", 225 lbs

Far be it from me to suggest a Muay Thai gym on O'ahu, but I do know Enson Inoue has a Muay Thai program. How good it is, I dunno. The one great thing about the Bay Area is the number of world-famous Muay Thai instructors we have here, plus a butt-load of Gracies haha.

Oh, yamatodamshii: Tell me more about Nova Uniao!
Old 11-18-2005, 04:12 PM

Car Info: s2
in my opinion nova uniao seems more aggresive...like you see n opening shoot for it, dont hesitate...principles your normally hear, but not worked on if you know what i mean...charuto verissimo, drills it to us, to make our reactions immediate...as well as explosive...i tried gracie for a year, but it felt a little consevative in the no-gi training...more so i was doing a GI comepetition with a million rules...i must say gracie style is still very effective, but in a world now being dominated by the BJJ style...that little edge that nova uniao has is just enough to pull wins at like NAGA tourneys...hit me up when you do come back to hawaii....always can learn from one another
Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Screw all of you f@gs...I'm gonna go get Master Roshi to teach me how to shoot Kamehameha Waves at you all day long!!!

[Dork Hat On]
Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
i used to take muay thai from ajan ta (not his real him, just the thai teacher name) at uh studio 4 or 2 i forget, but its on tues/thurs from like 730-1000 or something. recently i just started taking jiu jitsu from romolo barros, brazilian freestyle jj (brazilian-freestyle.com). i agree too that muay thai is good stand up to learn.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by yamatodamashii
in my opinion nova uniao seems more aggresive...like you see n opening shoot for it, dont hesitate...principles your normally hear, but not worked on if you know what i mean...charuto verissimo, drills it to us, to make our reactions immediate...as well as explosive...i tried gracie for a year, but it felt a little consevative in the no-gi training...more so i was doing a GI comepetition with a million rules...i must say gracie style is still very effective, but in a world now being dominated by the BJJ style...that little edge that nova uniao has is just enough to pull wins at like NAGA tourneys...hit me up when you do come back to hawaii....always can learn from one another
That sounds really interesting. Got a web page for me to peruse by any chance?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bpang1
Screw all of you f@gs...I'm gonna go get Master Roshi to teach me how to shoot Kamehameha Waves at you all day long!!!

[Dork Hat On]
You're such a dork Blake!

For a second, I thought you were talking about King Kamehameha
Old 11-22-2005, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

^^^Yeah I always wondered how those Dragonball writers came up with that name for Goku's power. I thought they may have come to Hawaii and thought..."Hey, that sounds cool."

Anyways, yeah...haven't done martial arts in years.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Originally Posted by X-Factor
thats badazz....when do you guys to this? i have a wrestling/submission background, along with the marine corps martial arts (worthless). i still love to throw down and around a little....myron ur mine JK. oh yeah....choku, since you know muy tai, can you teach me some stand up? my ground is decent, but i suck at standup.

Hey X-Factor don't knock Marine Corps Martial arts until you have actually put some time into it. I may be a gray belt but train at a brown belt level w/ a 1st degree black belt IT. I guaranty will put alot a hurt on some people real quick. I think the only reason you say that too is because who ever your IT is ain't doing something right. Just my opinion
Old 11-22-2005, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
^^^ Watch this man work!!

Quick Reply: The Official HIIC Martial Arts Thread