a noob

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 AM

Car Info: 09 STI
a noob

Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I'm new to the island, and just recently bought my 2005 STI, my dream car. I hope it's ok that I made a new thread? Don't abuse me too much :P.

Anyway, my name is Dave, and I'm stationed over in K-Bay at the Marine base. I've seen a couple Subies around base and thought maybe some would be here too.

But my question is this: My car's sitting at about 89k and I know it needs new spark plugs and a timing belt and possibly a water pump. I went to a Goodyear to just see how much they would charge me and it was rather hefty, I was wondering if doing the spark plug/wire swap is easy enough to do on my own or if someone could help a brother out? And maybe the belt too for some cash?

Anyway, thanks for your time and it's good to meet you!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Find Spinplays thread titled "who wants bent valves" for your timing belt. He is super fast and cheap. There are no wires just plugs and coil packs and it is only hard to change the plugs because you have to either have an Awsome socket or just take the time to squeeze what you have in there. I'm on KBay and work across from Hangar 104. Come by the next Friday meat. Location is still in the air. Should be out like Wednesday.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
Find Spinplays thread titled "who wants bent valves" for your timing belt. He is super fast and cheap. There are no wires just plugs and coil packs and it is only hard to change the plugs because you have to either have an Awsome socket or just take the time to squeeze what you have in there. I'm on KBay and work across from Hangar 104. Come by the next Friday meat. Location is still in the air. Should be out like Wednesday.
haha, I guess I'm very childish.

Anyways, for the plugs, check on Nasioc, there's a couple diy threads with pics.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by PSBeachBum

Oh dope, I'm TAD at Hazmat but normally I'm over at the AVI van pad. I'll try to make it but I work nights, unfortunately so who knows.

I'll definitely check him out though, I like fast and cheap. Thanks for the help. guys.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Also as mentioned above NASIOC.com and IWSTI are my fav places for suby info and DIY but these island guys are full of knowledge because we have to go that extra mile with our cars since we're so isolated
Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Welcome JunkPirate,

good luck on the work being done. I'm with BeachBum, Chad (spinplay01) does good work, and is straight up about it. See you around.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sigterm
Welcome JunkPirate,

good luck on the work being done. I'm with BeachBum, Chad (spinplay01) does good work, and is straight up about it. See you around.

Thanks bud, I hit him up and he's helping me out. Thanks all for being so helpful!