"NO AWD for Subaru's Version of the FT-86"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
"NO AWD for Subaru's Version of the FT-86"

''Cost overruns have made Subaru think again about developing an AWD version of its FT-86 based sports car. It’s been a while since we reported that Subaru were working on an AWD system for its 216A variant of the FT-86 compact sports car and since then some changes have come about concerning the driveline and how that could impact sales. Apparently development costs have spiralled to the point where Subaru can no longer justify the inclusion of the AWD system and as a result has brought some doubt upon the 216A’s ultimate sales potential as a ‘clone’. This has essentially rendered the rumored STi variant a carbon copy of the FT-86 G Sports Concept under its skin, so Subaru have now turned to exterior styling to make up for the lack of mechanical differentiation from the FT-86.To bring added individuality to the 216A, the focus in now on redesigning the area from the A-pillar forward and giving it a more distinctive front end design rather than merely swapping badges and putting on a different grille. If Toyota do indeed go ahead and release the G Sports version of the FT-86, Subaru will counter that with its own STi version which will then provide the basis for an R205-like special edition.

Prices for the STi and G Sports versions are expected to be 3.5 million JPY and 3 million JPY respectively, with the base model for both automakers to sell for around 2.5 million JPY.'' quote unquote Justin Karow from 7tune

Though I'm a die hard Subaru Fanatic, having a RWD into the mix of AWD would be quite interesting and I see in the near future as this being the new "Civic" or new "Scion TC". LMAO... I would love to add this to my Subaru Family

Credits go to Justin Karow from 7tune.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
I think it should remain FR. Keep it light and pure.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Financially, it was expected for Subaru to keep it FR if it ever makes it out as a product from Subaru. Costs to develop a car that small with a whole different drivetrain to AWD probably takes too much development costs in getting new things. That, or, the car would cost way too much.

However, I'm not a fan of the G Sport concept as it looks just like a 350/370z.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by sneezerboi
I think it should remain FR. Keep it light and pure.
LOL, now we can still be subie's owners and have RWD

Originally Posted by BoOm
Financially, it was expected for Subaru to keep it FR if it ever makes it out as a product from Subaru.
My intuition was right
Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 AM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Whoo hoo! Finally another subaru I'd like to own. Hopefully by "different", they don't mean bugeyes or something outrageous...

Light weight, rwd, naturally aspirated, perfect back to basics formula for a fun car.