News people suck

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:38 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan - Silver
News people suck

Well, I got to the track tonight, & my buddy came over to say hey. He drives a 2nd gen Eclipse GS-T. Up comes this camera man & lady, & ask if he's the owner of the Eclipse, & when he tells them it is so, they ask if they can interview and take some pics & get info on his car. He was stoked, but wasn't sure why they'd want to check out a stock GS-T so badly.
Right in front of them, I told him they were lookin' to make him look bad because of the crash today. He doesn't street race anymore ($5K in tickets cured that addiction), & they seemed AWFUL anxious to get the interview with "a DSM guy" They didn't appreciate me giving my friend the heads up about the crash he didn't know about, and he declined the interview.
Next up, the proud owner of a green Eagle Talon. He graciously popped the hood, stood for around 20 min. or more talking to them, etc. Then, they covered him making some runs. I got the "stink eye" plenty of times walking by them during the shots. Then, I realized that they got the perfect subject for their story, the Talon owner had a t-shirt that stated "Street racing is not a crime"
Did anybody see the story on the news? It's 11:37 now, so I missed it if it aired tonight. I'm just curious to see if they actually painted the picture I'm thinking they were after (fast cars, fast kids, no feelings, race anywhere/any time), or did they actually show how many responsible citizens are out at the track week after week after week? I doubt it to be the latter, but you never know.

Oh.... the media!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:59 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
I would love to one day talk and have lunch with a state lawmaker or a top news anchor and tell them how I feel when they call me a street racer just because I have a WRX. They fail to realize that theere are stupid people in the world and not all people with imports are racers. Hawaii drivers are very very bad too.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:51 AM

Car Info: converted to V8
Bad drivers!!

I wasn't able to catch the news, but its a pretty safe bet to say that you're correct about the media making your friend look bad at the same time all us responsible and aware drivers. I am never surprised to see a bunch of irresponsible, un-aware, un-safe drivers on the road every day. I get so frustrated every day!!
Old 02-14-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by MunkyWurks808
I actually see more stock or NEAR stock cars racing on the freeway than any proper tuned imports... but the rest of us are always gonna take the heat anyway. Sucks.
That is so true.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally posted by MunkyWurks808
I actually see more stock or NEAR stock cars racing on the freeway than any proper tuned imports... but the rest of us are always gonna take the heat anyway. Sucks.
VERY true...
Old 02-14-2004, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
The one thing that gets me is they act like street racing is something new, it's not my dad was doing it (and I'm sure some your dad's were too) when he was young he has told me about it I've seen pictures of some of his old cars. And yes because of the select few we all catch the bad rap...Thats why I wish they would have more track days or more of these people would go to the track and get it out of their system's..And half the people speeding and driving dumb on the street are the ones that will come up with tons of excuses why they never come out to the track...There is a difference to driving fast and knowing how to drive fast and I think there are more out there that think they know how to drive fast but don't. I don't claim to be a perfect driver I am by no means a expert but I would like to think I have a small amount of knowledge (not much but some). But if the majority of us drive as we are supposed too thats all we can do..The accident was bad but thats what happens when you act like a Azz...I just feel sorry for the inicent people that were hurt or killed....
Old 02-14-2004, 06:40 PM

maybee people will race more at tracks if they wouldnt have to worry about getting pulled over the long drive there and back into town. and if it was free or closer than campbell side.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:08 PM

never trust newspeople, they will spin whatever you say to make you look bad just to get a story. Funny how I heard about this acciedent even though I was in Vegas until last night. Word gets around fast.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by supra_man
maybee people will race more at tracks if they wouldnt have to worry about getting pulled over the long drive there and back into town. and if it was free or closer than campbell side.
I got my speeding ticket there even though I was going the same speed as the other cars. I think the cop wanted to tag me with reckless or racing or something stupid and non-related but he hesitated seeing my number 21 on my rear driver side window that night. I haven't gone to the tracks since.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:24 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
philosophically sad but true...

media may suck but so do the drivers that create that feeding frenzy. i believe having a proper avenue for racing will curb some of the illegal street racing- but the bottom line is- street racing is glamorized for that "unknown factor". a lot of people race on the street for that rush knowing that the next move they make may be a deadly one... or maybe not. i know a lot people that find the tracks boring and too predictable- but these are the same people that are young immature and plainly just really have no idea what the true respect of life truly is.(IMO) bottom line is the media would really have no grounds if street racing wasn't glamourized in the 1st place. i think the day of glory for all racers will come when my friend finally has the means($$) to make his vision into reality....(buyout the whole tantulus area and charge an entrance fee for racers)(yeah right!!)
Old 02-15-2004, 03:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I was just saying that last night. I won't go up tantalus all crazy until the day that it's blocked off. Wouldn't that be **** if it were, though. Time trials.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Recon doesn't do anything to solve this problem (as many people seem to think). The other counties (Maui, Hawaii, Kauai) do nopt have recon. They also have longer, more open stretches of roads that are far more dangerous than we have here. Do you hear about fatalities due to street racing over on the other islands?

Quick Reply: News people suck