Need a second opinion on window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Need a second opinion on window regulator

I just ran into a problem with my drivers side window and I would like a second opinion. Here are the symptoms.....

A few days ago I rolled down my window. When I went to roll up my window I immediately noticed that the rear portion of the window started to roll up but the front portion would not raise up. So basically the window was going up in an angle with the rear of it leading the way. I then pulled over and assisted the front portion by pulling it up and pressing the power window button. I finally got it up in the fully closed positioned but I am now unable to roll the window down. When I attempt to roll the window down it tries to go down but it feels as if it is binding and will not go down.

My first assumption is that the window came off track but was later told that the window does not work like that. I went to a local mechanic and he had stated that the window regulator went out.

Unfortunately I am stationed in Korea so Suby dealers are pretty much non-existent and I am left to try and troubleshoot this on my own with limited tools. Please help if you can the important thing is that I troubleshoot it correctly and order the right part. Sorry due to my busy work load I have not had a chance to pull the door card off and check it out.

Thanks in advance...

2001 Impreza Coupe....
Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
check to make sure the bolts holding the window to the door are secure and tight. mine was loose at one point and it ended up falling out. My regulator was good still after realigning
Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
there is a regulator (basically just a motor powering a scissor lift) that attaches to the inner door and glass itself.

and then there are guide rails on each side of the regulator. it sounds like the nut at the top of the frontmost guide rail has come off.

Prob just put the guide rail back in place and tighten the nuts/bolts.

no way to know unless you pull the card and look.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
VIP Member

yeah I figure something got loose on the front portion of the window. considering the window went up it is safe to assume that the regulator is good. anyhow I will pull the door card out tomorrow morning and see what happened.

Jess
Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by iNfEk
check to make sure the bolts holding the window to the door are secure and tight. mine was loose at one point and it ended up falling out. My regulator was good still after realigning
Originally Posted by spinplay01
there is a regulator (basically just a motor powering a scissor lift) that attaches to the inner door and glass itself.

and then there are guide rails on each side of the regulator. it sounds like the nut at the top of the frontmost guide rail has come off.

Prob just put the guide rail back in place and tighten the nuts/bolts.

no way to know unless you pull the card and look.
well I just got done pulling the door card off of my car to inspect the damage and it turns out that one of the arms on the scissor lift (the front top one to be exact) broke off at the pivot point. which explains why only the rear will go up and not the front portion of the window. so I am try to look at the repair manual and if I am reading it correctly the scissor lift portion is the regulator which is (i think attached to the window motor). now my question is does the window motor and regulator seperate? and is it possible to order the regulator (scissor lift) by itself or does it come together as one piece with the motor?

Last edited by 4080wrx; 05-08-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:44 AM

Car Info: 2021 Crosstrek Sport
Pimax Window Regulator - Front, Driver Side
2001 Subaru Impreza RS 4 Cyl 2.5L

They sell it as a complete assembly. It's sold separately from the dealer.

Unfortunately, they don't offer international shipping. I talked to one of the CSRs through the live chat help on the site. He suggested that the part be shipped to Hawaii and then shipped over to you. He said that he needed more information about your car though. Just click on the Live Help link @ the top of the page or call them @ 1-888-251-1214. Ask for Kent.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Keainakoa; 05-08-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Keainakoa
Pimax Window Regulator - Front, Driver Side
2001 Subaru Impreza RS 4 Cyl 2.5L

They sell it as a complete assembly. It's sold separately from the dealer.

Unfortunately, they don't offer international shipping. I talked to one of the CSRs through the live chat help on the site. He suggested that the part be shipped to Hawaii and then shipped over to you. He said that he needed more information about your car though. Just click on the Live Help link @ the top of the page or call them @ 1-888-251-1214. Ask for Kent.

Hope this helps.
thanks..i chatted with the live help and it turns out that specific part number is for 4 door imprezas of that year only. on top of that they do not carry the 2 door version of the regulator and they suggested that I go to the dealer.

Thanks for the help