Need help diagnosing WRX power issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Unhappy Need help diagnosing WRX power issue

Ok here's the info.
04' WRX 5spd approx 70k miles. Completely stock.

Bought the car, previous owner said that the car started to overheat on him last time he drove it. He said (which I'm not sure if it's all the truth) that he parked it, and it pretty much sat for a while. After some inspection, the upper radiator hose had a hole in it (duh!) . We drove the car from Kalihi to kapolei, no over heating issue at all.

As of now since my friend has had it, thermostat, radiator hoses, coolant, oil, spark plugs and fuel filter have been replaced.

Oil was clean (not milky) coolant was also not milky when we did the maitenance. Spark plugs all looked fine, as good as stock plugs could look with 70k miles I guess. No smoke, CEL's or awkward sounds.

Problem: car has NO power. Won't rev very quickly. It will drive but it really has no guts at all. I plugged in my laptop to look at some logs, on my phone, so can't post them now. And the only thing that looked strange to me were the injectors. Under acceleration, the injectors seem to hit 25% and stop, they won't do any more than that. It dosent seem to lunge or jerk (sparkplugs, fuel filter seemed to have made it better)

I'm looking for some advice on what you all think I should check next. I plan to inspect timing belt this weekend to see if it's jumped some teeth, pull the fuel pump and possibly replace it since I have another stock WRX one laying around somewhere. I was also thinking boost leak, but I would think it would at least rev with a boost leak no? I haven't done a compression test yet either, the only kit I could get my hands on wouldn't work since the sparkplugs are so down there. (anyone got one I can borrow?)

Sorry it's a long post, but I appreciate the help HIIC!

Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 AM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
is your maf sensor plugged in? the car might be in limp mode. did youu guys dc it while doing spark plugs?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 AM

It had this same issue before we did sparkplugs. And it is plugged in. I think I would have a CEL if it was in limp mode too
Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx sliver
boost leak someplace? it wont rev if its leaking
Old 05-27-2011, 04:03 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
yes it could have a big leak that you dont know about also could have a vacum leak as well..

doest it sound like it is running on all cylinders? reason i ask is a wrx i helped fix not to long ago wasnt and come to find out the injectors didnt have a good connection since the wires would come out. that also may be something you wanna look into.

another thing. what spark plugs are you using? did you gap them? if you bought the BKR7E copper plugs which is the right one step colder plug for that car it doesnt come pre gapped and it sits at a .44 gap. you may wanna triple check that.

i have a boost leak tester if you need help. is it A's sis? she mentioned something about it but didnt go into to much detail last time i seen her at her work.

if you need anything just text me.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Car Info: 2005 CGM STi
If it's running like that without bogging, it could be a plugged up cat. That usually throws a code, though. Fuel pump would be my next guess.

I have a compression tester you can have, I bought one and found my old one as soon as I got home (always happens, doesn't it?). It'll just collect dust if I keep it.

Hope you figure it out
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM

You don't want anything for it? Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
To piggy back on some peeps above. I had a '91 Blazer that just wouldnt accelerate when i pressed on the gas. It seemed the more gas I have her the worse it got. Replaced the fuel pump on a cold snowing colorado afternoon, with a full tank of gas, in my driveway, with no power from an earlier outage which meant my heater was down. Did the trick. Baby was running better than ever.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Update: changed fuel pump. No improvement. Starting to think the turbo is shot, feels like it just isn't boosting at all.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
what program were you using for the logs?ECU Explorer? Try and post the logs
Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Car Info: S14
when i had my old car the original owner had a boost controller for my wrx, when they took it out they forgot to put the restricter pill back in, maybe that?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:18 PM

This car is totally stock. I don't even think the previous owner ever opened the hood on his own. Let alone put an aftermarket boost controller in.

I really think its a problem with the turbo, I only have sundays to work on it and since I spend most of today hangin, I didn't get to do anything other than the fuel pump. Next week, we're just gonna stop being lazy and pull the turbo. I really have a feeling something is really screwed up in there.

Walter, I used OpenSource software to do logs. I have them on my laptop but I think I left it at work. I'll try post them.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 2000 AW 2.5RS, 2013 Cadillac Escalade
check the hose on the tmic?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
i'd come look at it if there is beer involved, no promises other than i'll look and drink the beer.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
This car is totally stock. I don't even think the previous owner ever opened the hood on his own. Let alone put an aftermarket boost controller in.

I really think its a problem with the turbo, I only have sundays to work on it and since I spend most of today hangin, I didn't get to do anything other than the fuel pump. Next week, we're just gonna stop being lazy and pull the turbo. I really have a feeling something is really screwed up in there.

Walter, I used OpenSource software to do logs. I have them on my laptop but I think I left it at work. I'll try post them.
email it to me @ warivera808@gmail.com if can

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing WRX power issue