my z06 buying experience today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 06:25 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Thumbs down my z06 buying experience today...

so i went down to JN chevy today...

they have 2 yellow '03 z06's on the lot...one in the showroom, and one outside...i wanted the one in the showroom, figuring it'd have less miles, but NOPE...170 and 162 miles on them...that's a WHOLE LOTTA test drives...anyway, they have a 8k markup on the vettes...

anywhoo, the salesman i originally spoke with said he was busy with other customers, so he let me talk with another dude, who CLAIMED to have just started...

i told them to appraise my 97 M3, and they did...

i told them there was no way i was gonna pay over msrp for the vette...they wanted to run my credit rating first, but i said apprasie the M3 first, then run the credit app, because if i cant get a good deal, i dont need to waste my/your time...i told them EXACTLY what my credit score was (i have a copy of my credit report from last month)...

they said make an offer on the vette, so i said, "invoice is 45k, someone here ordered one from the mainland and had it "courtesy delivered" to servco in wahiawa and he paid 47k total"...

i offered them 48k for the car and i wanted 19.5k for my trade...they balked and 2 different "managers" came up and started saying that we were trying to steal the car from them, etc...and that actual cash value of my M3 was 12k!!! i told them that the 19.5 figure came from BOTH the mercedes AND bmw dealers when making a trade...

they said that the car is 61k (including markup) and if i wanted it discounted to 48k, then i have to lower my price on the M3...they said they can do msrp and give me MAX of 14k on my car...

i also told them servco has a black Z06 on the lot, and they were asking MSRP for it...and i could get an 04 for msrp if i wanted...they said "well, why dont you offer us msrp?" i told them, why should i offer msrp for a 2003 model with 160 miles??? i can get a brand new 04 with less than 20 miles from servco if i have to pay msrp...the suspension was changed on the 04, and i'd rather have the new suspension...it's also the ending of 2003, and the new body style will be out in 2005."

THEN, they said, "if you're looking at spending 48k, we can put you in a tahoe" i said, "i dont want a tahoe...i want a Z06...if you cant help me out, then we dont need to waste each other's time"...

somewhere in between, they aksed what i could afford, and they also asked me if i bought my M3 new...(these two questions pissed off my auntie who was with me)...i told them i can afford 1k/month payments if they would take 48k for the car and 19.5 for the trade...

another manager came out and said they could gice me the car for MSRP, no trade...i said if i have to pay msrp for a 03, i'll go to servo and order me an 04, with less than 160 miles on it...they said, you have to wait, blah,blah, blah...i said i was looking at so many cars, that i can wait for something else to come along...

so no Z06 for me today...oh well...and you guys shoulda seen my auntie...she's pretty mellow, and hardly gets upset, but she really hated the attitude of the managers and JN...she stated that they were rude and had very bad customer service, which i have to agree with...i guess we're more accustomed to the sales dept of mercedes and bmw...if we ever got treated like that at those dealerships, the salespeople wouldnt even last a month...

i mean they didnt even say thank you for your time, etc...even *I* said that when leaving...oh well...no z06 for me today...time go go and check with servco or doing that "courtesy delivery" thing...
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Did you leave them your phone #? I'll probably be wrong, but I have a feeling that they'll be calling you back here pretty soon.

I think you were absolutely correct. Personally, I have 0 patience for games...and I let them know that fairly quickly which is polar to my 'avoid conflict' type personality.

I bet that it will be the first salesman who calls you back.

He was probably 'busy' because he was told to be. After you spoke to him originally, he probably relayed what he told you to his manager during their end-of-day conference, and his manager probably told him to steer clear of you next time you came in. It's the 'good cop, bad cop' approach.

...or I could be wrong.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:50 PM

I had the same experienced going with my dad to JN Chevrolet. They refused to give my dad back his license when he wanted to leave. They kept him back, talking all this non-sense. So my dad put on the "pissed off" look, they gave him back his stuff, he said Thanks and stormed right out.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:06 PM

JN sucks! Well...any dealership sucks in my opinion, but they suck above all others. They lost my business for the rest of my lifetime. It's a long story and I won't bore anyone with it.
Dealerships play that stinking game all the time. Ticks me off! The only dealership that I actually had a pleasant experience with was Honda Windward. They "made a believer out of me."
And dude! You can afford 1K a month for a car??!! WTF?! Whatever you're into, let me in on it! Ahhhh....to be stinking, filthy rich...must be nice....

P.S. Oh! Had to add this comment -- the "hold the license" technique is a good one. Whoever invented that is a genius. My girlfriend was "fortunate" enough to go through that at Pfleuger Honda. Dorks...

Last edited by hiwrx; 08-29-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:39 PM

yup, they have my phone number...to tell you the truth, we had a bad experience there a while back when looking at a blazer...my mom got pissed at them too...i only went back there because they had a z06 on the front of the lot, and i wanted to look at it...they DID call us back when we were looking at the blazer, and tried to be nice, but we were too pissed at that time...also the first salesman we spoke with (about the z06) was pretty cool, so thats why we went back...oh well, too bad...jn obviously doesnt want my sale so i'll just go look elsewhere...

and i told them up front, that i had to go to work tonight and needed to sleep (which is true), so i didnt have time for any games...

but if i'm gonna buy a vette at msrp, it'll be an 04 and have like 20 miles on it...

hiwrx: for my moola, i pimp joey at night...
Old 08-29-2003, 08:59 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
So is getting a car for invoice/msrp hard in Hawaii since the demand is pretty high? Last year I helped my mom buy a CR-V and we had to settle on a dark blue one (we wanted silver but Windward would not budge) with like 100 miles for a couple hundred under msrp. I am planning on returning home soon and I hate dealing with all that BS. What dealerships usually sell for invoice/msrp?
Old 08-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
JN Does Suck ***!!! They have ripped off many "young" military and I've heard so many stories of bad customer service, it rediculous!
I say we boycot all JN dealerships.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:15 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
In 1999, when I was 19 years old, I was raped out of $14,000. I bought a 1987 IROC.

The block cracked three months later and I gave it to my friend instead of towing it to the junk yard.

I lived on my own since the age of 18 and began work at age 15. My naive **** gave those losers my life savings at the time.

JN SUCKS!!!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:48 AM

chibby: holy crap!!! 14g's for an 87?!? DAMN!!!

bao ling: i already know those rules...thanx! that's why i told them i wasnt gonna pay over MSRP...i also let them know that i knew their invoice price...they said i was STEALING the car from them because i was offering them 13,000 below what they were asking, which was 8k OVER msrp...what a load of crap...they're stealing from idiots who are willing to pay over MSRP...

on another dealership rant, TONY honda/vw/nissan in the waipio area SUCK...NO customer service at all...i mean i go and no one comes to help me...salesmen all over the place and no one comes over...i have to get the receptionist to get a saleguys so i can ask about a car...and this happened 3 times to me...i thought it was just an off day on which i went, but 3 of 3 is too much...that place wont see my business...

i have to agree with what hiwrx said about honda windward...one of the best places for GREAT customer service...just as good as the mercedes dealer, and a little better than the BMW dealership...
Old 08-30-2003, 11:57 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally posted by poser
hiwrx: for my moola, i pimp joey at night...
Old 08-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
I need some extra cash. Are Joey's days free, Poser?
Old 08-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally posted by IS2Scooby
In your dreams, fudgepacker...in your dreams...
Old 08-30-2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by IS2Scooby
as in true pimp fashion: i can LEASE joey to you...but i'll warn you now, to get $1000/month from joey, you need to have 2000 people willing to pay... and the night is much better, as because it helps to hide joeys flaws...

Quick Reply: my z06 buying experience today...