My sinuses are KILLING me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
My sinuses are KILLING me!

ARGH! I'm glad for the cooler weather - but I'm getting some KILLER sinus headaches that are waking me up in the middle of the night (well, maybe not the MIDDLE of the night) and making it so I have VERY little sleep. UGH. I hate it.

Anybody else suffer from these bastiches? I'd put one of my "good" sinus headaches up against a migraine any day... These things are DEBILITATING!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:06 AM
Pr0n King

Nearly one-fourth of the sinus headache sufferers in the Louis Harris & Associates survey say the painful condition affects every aspect of their lives, including their appearance. Among the areas disrupted, to varying degrees, are sleep, leisure activities, family relationships and job attendance.

"We know from following hundreds of patients that a sinus headache can be so debilitating that it practically puts your life on hold," said Pamela J. Nicklaus, MD, Associate Professor of Otolaryngology at the University of Kansas. "It is important to know the symptoms of a sinus headache and treat them promptly in the most appropriate manner."

It is especially important now, in the fall, according to Dr. Nicklaus, when cooler, dryer weather, environmental triggers such as mold and pollen, and viral infections will cause an increase in the frequency and severity of sinusitis and sinus headaches.

About Sinusitis and Sinus Headaches
Sinus headaches are caused by sinusitis, an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinuses and nasal passages. The sinuses consist of four pairs of air-filled cavities near the nose and eyes.

They are connected to the nasal passages by thin tubes, or "air ducts," that allow for the exchange of air and drainage of mucus. When the sinus membranes become inflamed in response to cold or flu virus infections or allergens, the sinuses become blocked, preventing mucus drainage. The resulting mucus build-up in the sinuses causes classic sinus headache symptoms:

-- Pain or pressure around the eyes, nose and forehead
-- Facial pressure
-- Pain in the upper teeth

Treating a Sinus Headache
The first step in treating a sinus headache is recognizing these symptoms. According to the Harris survey, almost all sinus sufferers (93%) experience pain or pressure around the eyes, nose and forehead.

The key to relieving the symptoms is to reduce sinus swelling and inflammation and facilitate mucus drainage from the sinuses, according to Dr. Nicklaus. Among the options available are cool-mist humidifiers to keep the sinuses moist, and oral medications to reduce swelling and pain.

"Ideally, people with sinus headaches should treat both the pain and the congestion that causes it," Dr. Nicklaus said. "Over-the-counter medications that combine a pain reliever and a nasal decongestant are appropriate options."

Life is Too Good to Feel Bad
Effective treatment is important, because, as the survey illustrates, sinus headache pain impacts lifestyles and day-to-day activities. More than half of the sufferers have had at least five sinus headaches in the past year, and of those polled:

-- Six in ten (59%) said sinus headaches disrupted their sleep.

-- More than half (54%) said the headaches affected their leisure time and recreational activities.

-- More than one-third (38%) said sinus headaches affected their relationship with their spouse.

-- For many, the condition also interfered with special occasions
(37%) and job attendance (13%).

Life with a sinus headache can be so bad that 40 percent of sufferers said they would "do anything" to get rid of their condition. Among the enjoyable activities they would give up in exchange for even temporary relief are:

-- Watching the season finale of "ER" (78%)
-- Watching the Super Bowl (76%)
-- Actually going to the Super Bowl (61%, including 51% of males)
-- A night on the town (65%)
-- A weekend getaway (35%)

When to See Your Doctor
You should consult a physician for headache symptoms that last for an extended period of time, and do not improve when taking over-the-counter medications. Sinus headaches that persist for more than a week or are accompanied by fever may be caused by a bacterial infection that requires treatment with antibiotics, which can only be obtained with a doctor's prescription.

Some people experience headaches unrelated to sinusitis, which could actually be:

-- Tension headaches, caused by muscle contraction;

-- Migraines, usually intense, which may be throbbing, pounding or felt more on one side of the head; or

-- Cluster headaches, rare headaches that occur in "clusters," relatively short in duration, but cause tremendous pain.

Your doctor will know the difference, and can recommend appropriate treatment.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
dood, ... Tylenol Sinus Extra Extra Strength
Old 10-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Pr0n King

Tried it... Nothing seems to work. The docs thing they MIGHT be able to do something with "image-guided surgery" (read stick a micro camera up my nose and some mini tools along with it to whack some crap around in my skull)... HECK with that.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:13 AM
Where is my beer?

oh, sorry.

I KNOW what will help!!! Everclear!!! We have some at Mike's house!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Pr0n King

Everclear scares me.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:21 AM
Where is my beer?

It'll scare your sinus infection too!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
Flonase
Old 10-10-2003, 02:48 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
how much is that stuff anyway??? wouldn't mind trying some of that medicine ..
Old 10-10-2003, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP Wagon
Re: My sinuses are KILLING me!

Originally posted by IS2Scooby
ARGH! I'm glad for the cooler weather - but I'm getting some KILLER sinus headaches that are waking me up in the middle of the night (well, maybe not the MIDDLE of the night) and making it so I have VERY little sleep. UGH. I hate it.

Anybody else suffer from these bastiches? I'd put one of my "good" sinus headaches up against a migraine any day... These things are DEBILITATING!
Aarghh...the infamous sinus headaches. I've got one right now, right behind my left eyeball and forehead area. Earlier, every time I blinked it hurt. Sometimes I can even feel it in my teeth. Can you predict rain? I can...

Last edited by wrxgrl; 10-10-2003 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
For about 2 years, I used to have mean sinus headaches and I could predict weather due to the smell. Its a distinct smell and somehow I associate the smell with rain and then rain falls. It all stopped when I started taking Claritin though. It went away in less than a week.