My heart is broken. My life will no longer be the same

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 02:11 AM

Location: Ewa Beach, Hawaii...Current Best Time: 12.59 @ 107.48mph (108.47 best mph) in Hawaiis humid weather! w/ stock turbo&intercooler
Car Info: 2004 STi.....stock turbo/intercooler/cat-back, aftermarket intake/downpipe/piggyback
Dude,
sorry to hear bout your car, I had that happen to me too xcept the car was not drivable since the cylinder walls were damaged. Had a 12 second FWD VW Scirocco (on NOS), low 14s w/out that lost oil psi while driving home from the freeway. Its still hibernating even after a year, I need to get back on it and bring her back to life. Anyway, I ended up buying a 2004 Sti a few months ago just to get back into racing again (got more bills! ouch!)
JT
Old 11-25-2004, 03:05 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
But do you think you could have had a oil pressure drop and not seen it? And do you know where the blow by was/is coming from? If that cylinder's compression is that low I'd say check the rings and how long have you been getting blow by and do you know if the rings were offset from the begining? I am just trying to think of some easy stuff you might just have to re-ring that piston.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:16 AM

Car Info: Justy
Sorry to hear that Pat.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:45 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Do you guys think it's the rings? I bet he smoked a ring land/side skirt from detonation... Either way, hard luck Pat. It's all racing, Bro.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Damn

Pat,
Sorry to hear about the hard luck you've been having with that car. I feel your frustration as you have taken the time and effort to do things right. I know that you research and ask a lot of questions putting much thought into your mods. You also take logs to monitor whats going on in your motor. You don't deserve this happening. This is the sort of things that happens to some noob w/ a manual boost controller and no clue.

I wish you the best in your decision on where to go from here. IMO (no flames - I love subies) sell the car. You might be able to find someone who'll take it as is because there is a lot of potential in it, otherwise get the EJ20 in there and sell it. Buy a good reliable daily driver (like a used Corolla) and then think about what kind of racing you like to do. Save up a little money, spend time with your family and then look for a good "project car" that you can park and slowly build up over time. It would be great if you and your kid can build it together.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:48 AM

Hey Rich it could also be that but was detenation a problem? It seems that he really hasn't driven the car that much before he started having problems.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 08 TL Type-S
I know how you feel mario and I are both ready to just give up on our cars as well due to the fact that were not getting the most potential from our setups. But we both think its because there is no awd dyno to get in a great tune. So it all gets us down at one point but i think if you stay focused on what your original goals was, your almost there i think you should pull the whole block out and build from scratch. Than that way you now it was built correct and you can have peace of mind. But put the ej20 back in and just drive with that until you complete the block.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
2 immediate questions.

1) Potential hazards/effects of driving a car with low compression in one cylinder? If not for daily driving, then for moving to a shop (if I decide I'm going to have someone do it.)

2) Can I do this myself in my garage? If so, I'll get an inexpensive engine puller, but I don't know, maybe I could find a engine stand as well. How hard could it be? I'd have a machine shop score my cylinder walls, though.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:25 AM

It's probably not good to drive it but it seems the damage is done. The only bad thing is that you can't pull out that piston with out pulling the engine. No matter how you look at it that cylinder needs to be looked at. If I was there I'd come over and help. Does the car smoke at all I can't remember if you said that or not? I mean smoke like it's burning oil. That block can't have that many miles on it was a new STI block correct?
Old 11-25-2004, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Ever since I plugged the extra crankcase breather, it started smoking pretty heavily.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:02 PM

So it's safe to say you unplugged it but now it's too late. Maybe it created to much positive crankcase pressure and #2 cylinder was it's victim..Was the car running fine before you plugged it?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Nah, since my experiment with putting on an APC breather/filter, It's been plugged and still is.

When I warmed up the car prior to the CC, that's the first time I'd seen it smoke like that.

Car was and is running fine. You couldn't tell anything is wrong by daily driver or WOT, butt-dyno performance. Still pulls great.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by WRX_FLIP
i don't know what those mean...

but sorry to hear
jeff had to be you that said this huh(laughing my *** off right now).. i don't know what those mean too..
Old 11-25-2004, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

I don't know what mean half the time. The other half, I don't know what I'm saying.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:19 PM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 2004
Had to research what you were talking about, but man.....that's sad to hear. I think it's time to Revive it with an engine swap.....hehe

Quick Reply: My heart is broken. My life will no longer be the same