Moving from CA to Oahu

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 2004 JDM WRX/STi
Unhappy Moving from CA to Oahu

Aloha,

I will be moving to Oahu next September and I'm trying to decide if it will be possible to bring my car with me there. I've read through a couple of threads about the super **** safety inspections but I haven't been able to find any official list of things they check for. I'll be stationed there in the military and the car will be registered in my home state AL. I'll just layout what I have.

04 WRX
ver8 JDM STI EJ207 engine and 6 speed swap
stock STI struts with pink springs

Some of the things I'm concerned about:
I have OEM JDM HID headlights wired in.
Airbag's are disabled and the light is on due to steering wheel
JDM clear side markers installed on the fenders
Aftermarket exhaust too loud? HKS.
Window tint, i believe it's 35% all around
JDM ECU ?

Should I just sell it before I move? Or am I over thinking this? I really don't want to be changing everything up on my car.

Mahalo
Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru sti
You can always get recon
Old 11-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by 007_STI
You can always get recon
thanks but from what I read so far, I probably wouldn't pass the recon. What happens if you fail recon? Can you do it again and not have to pay?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 2004
Is only like 15 dollars if you fix your discrepancy in 30 days you don't have to pay again.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Car Info: your gf's scooby
You will fail window tint right off the bat. Here's the deal you can try to get the safety inspection and if they look at your springs and notice they aren't stock you wont pass period. Then you will waste your time going to recon for them to do a bounce test of 1'inch of travel up and down by you pushing on the front fender.
Seriously either have the stock springs with you or just don't bring it your subie at all. The local guy with me had a stock 07 STI and neither one of us passed for suspension.
Oahu only passes trucks here for recon or if you bought your subaru on island.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by shoots808
You will fail window tint right off the bat. Here's the deal you can try to get the safety inspection and if they look at your springs and notice they aren't stock you wont pass period. Then you will waste your time going to recon for them to do a bounce test of 1'inch of travel up and down by you pushing on the front fender.
Seriously either have the stock springs with you or just don't bring it your subie at all. The local guy with me had a stock 07 STI and neither one of us passed for suspension.
Oahu only passes trucks here for recon or if you bought your subaru on island.
I'm sure you have good intentions sharing your experiences, but to be honest you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you pass or not comes down to the inspector. If you show up all brosified chances are the guy is going to fail you. Be upfront with the inspector, show up with the correct paperwork, and ask questions in a calm manner and I'm sure you will be fine. Or, if there is a glaring issue, he will at least allow you time to fix it.

With military there is always the option of getting a temp sticker and keeping the car registered somewhere else. I'm not sure what qualifies you for that but I know it's been done. If that's the case I don't think you have to do anything at all.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
you have a valid point...if you fail your suspension bounce test...and a lifted truck passed...you should ask the inspector to bounce the lifted truck and verify 2 inches of travel even if theres a humongous gap of travel...making sure of course it moves 2 inches...

alot of us dont agree with the bounce test...but it is what it is...sure your tires/suspension shouldnt be tucked beyond belief....sure a 200lb inspector wont budge your suspension....a car weighs close to 2 tons and if a 200 lbs inspector moves it 2 inches, you get the picture...

Last edited by houdni; 11-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Im just telling you what happend the other day with myself and another subaru owner. Willie was the inspector, we both had our alighnment sheets and everything.
It doesn't get any clearer than I made it. The bounce test failed the both of us and the truck passed. There is no point in me going back because I'll just have the same issue.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Just a thought, but why don't you deflate your tires as much as possible without showing to allow for as much bumper movement as possible??? Lifted trucks generally have meatier tires so they can get away with that.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM

okay so far the only thing i would need to fix is my window tint and suspension(maybe) and my headlights...I think I can do this...as much as I dont want to.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 2013 XV 2002 WRX (sold)
Murrdogg 35% tint is the legal limit here. As long as it isn't past your ASI line on your windshield you will be fine. Do not have any stickers on any window even if it doesn't show if you get RECON.

With stock struts and pinks you should be able to sneak by somewhere without needing RECON.

Don't get too caught up with shoots he hasn't said anything positive in any of his posts that I can remember.

Your clear fenders might give you a hard time, but I had JDM headlights and clears too, and didn't have issues at my place I go to.

Sent from my iPad using i-Club
Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Deflating the tires helps for sure. And finding some amber side markers is cheap and easy.

Shoots, you really should try again. It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
steering wheel with airbag is a big issue.
non DOT stamping on any lights is an issue.
i've given up safety and regging a modded car. **** car police state.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Im not getting recon I just passed my safety. Recon will never happen until they change how they test for bounce. A person that weighs incredible less then the gwt of a vehicle to push on a fender does not constitute a legitimate test. Same as the hearing if the exhaust is loud without a db tester. Its bogus.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Wait, so you passed safety? Why'd you even bother with recon if you could pass safety? lol.

Corytomo brought up the points I was going to, steering wheel is trouble and if the airbag light is on...that isn't good either. Make sure your swap doesn't look like a 3 year old installed and and clean up any loose wires, don't want them to ask any more questions than they may already ask.

Quick Reply: Moving from CA to Oahu