Modifying your car: Why do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 AM

Car Info: 08 lgt
Originally Posted by Risk3233
I was referring to my particular interests. As long as the parts are being tested for their intended purpose, then you are actually using them.

BTW "bench racing" that takes place at your local speed shop or garage does not count as actual racing/competition. That's actually called bullsh*tting.
I'm down to try anything. I like auto-x but not competitive I just go to have fun and push my car, I did get my rear sway to help a lil bit though we'll see how that goes. And my power mods (even though they're just minor) was to try shave some seconds on our next trip to maui. But now that won't happen. Whack. +1 on no bench racing though, get out there and do the damn thing. At least once.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Originally Posted by Risk3233
I'm just not into that. I rarely get my car over the speed limit on the street. No sense in that. I'll get to Costco eventually.

If I want to really push the car, then the street isn't the place to do it...unless I want to get arrested.
Well put Ed, when I am driving my STi, I am always with my family so it only goes five-over. I do get the occaisional "If I had that car, I would be ripping it all over the place". The car's limits are so high that you would be endangering the public trying to exploit it, so autocross is where my baby sees action. I do subtle mods for individuality, but for the most part it's purposeful mods towards competitive autocrossing...I can't wait 'till July 12th.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Car Info: Renault Clio RS R27
Originally Posted by Tiare
Howz the new toy on the road?
V8 Killer
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 AM

Car Info: 2011 KTM 530 EXC Supermoto
I do it solely to hang parts, but I don't care what others think. As long as no one confronts me in a disrespectul manner, their jaw will remain intact.

J/K

All jokes aside, I do it because I've always wanted to own a car that is capable for drag racing and still driveable on the street.

Bottom line, it floats my boat.

No track you say? I will travel to the mainland for schools, and the car is coming with me.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM

Car Info: '05 WRX / '04 Forester
I mod my car for the same reason a crack addict does crack.

Plus it helps a ton with promoting (read: whoring) my business.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Touge, have you rode shotgun with someone during an autocross? Highly recommend that you start there. Find someone that has a similar setup, and go for a ride with them during the AutoX.

I used to Gymkhana alot when I lived in Japan before. When I went back to the states and got my WRX, I ended up usually just watching. Fixing the WRX was more of a concern than anything. I could afford to keep it and mod it, but not really break it

So on a few occassions I rode shotgun in an "instructor" like role and helped a noob place fairly high up in the days ranking. She did exceptionally well because she rode with another STi driver for the morning run, then we ran in the afternoon with me acting as her navigator.

You will love it, even if you just go for the ride.

But more importantly, you will get to learn what you have done to your car, and will better your driving skills even if you screw up, you will learn from it. And you will have fun.

Modding started out for me in 1995 with my first Nissan Silvia. Intake and an exhaust. I wrecked that, then bought another (this time with a 5 speed) and ended up doing a NA to Turbo motor swap. Ever since then I have been hooked.

Eventually I want to rebuild a motor....never blown one yet, so haven't had a need to (knocks on wood). Have only wrecked the one Silvia, sold and moved on from the rest of my cars.

Modding can be bad though...money wise, and at times, I do consider it an addiction.
But, it's the only one I really have