Modifying your car: Why do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:34 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Modifying your car: Why do you do it?

Okay, I've been thinking over this past week about something. I think I've come to the point where I just dont see the point of modifying my car anymore. I know I've told a couple of friends that I've actually been thinking about selling my WRX. My thinking is, I dont really use my modifications. I mean, I've been upping the HP a little, but as some know I'm the last person who'll give it the beans on the freeway. I'm just too paranoid about getting pulled over. As far as my suspension mods go, I always say I'll go to AutoX one day, but when the day shows up I chicken out and end up not going. So my lowered stance and extreme-performance tires are for naught as well. And now I'm begining to get sick of how it feels to daily drive the car, with all the bumps and vibrations and such.

Okay, to stop this from getting to long, I started this thread to find out why all of you feel the need to keep modifying your car. And if you think maybe it's time for me to truly "hang it up". I still have a great love for cars and driving, but am starting to think that I'm better suited as a spectator.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:45 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
modifying car = a hobby for many. many also do it so they can have bragging rights.

If anything dont race people on the freeway just give them a quick look at your acceleration and they should fear and if they dont let them be the idiot who gets pulled over.

Suspension! try the autoX soon. I wish i could but i got an automatic that is oober slow still.

Hope you dont sell your subie :-)

-ImprezAChiang
Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
Haven't actually modded my car yet but if or when I do it will be sort of out of a pride and personality thing. When the lip , wheels and springs go on I want to look at it and think " that's how I like it"

And motor mods, WHEN I do it, its because I want to merge or pass slower vehicles easier. And just know the car is capable of more than stock.

It's sort of like my bike, I don't need all 999ccs, but when I coasting on the freeway and someone happens to not see me and changes lane, I want to be able to open up the throttle and effortlessly pull away from danger.

Or maybe, just cuz? Shrug I dunno...
Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
I do it as a hobby. I appreciate each mod individually as they come. I would recommend actually participating in AutoX. Nothing to fear as we all have been the new guy at one point in our life. Your car is a great one to start off with. My first try was in a 1995 Benz C280 (aka Boat), but I had a blast. I've been hooked since. Having a more capable car such as yours really helps. The fact that there is a healthy aftermarket is even more encouraging. I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't come in last either. In fact, you'd probably beat me (as my tires aren't too sticky anymore).

Perhaps you need to experience the joy of owning your car in an environment where it shines.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I really freaking don't understand all the people saying "oh my car is slow" or whatever to justify not going to Auto-X...just keep it real like the OP and say you're too scared. Hell many times there are FAR SLOWER cars at Auto-X than anything you guys have. Some people bring SUVs and Vans out but NO ONE gives them a hard time.

My main reason for modding is because its my hobby and I work on the car to get it to the point where it is perfect for my tastes. I take it to Auto-X to test what I've done as well as work out my settings. I use all of this knowledge to make myself a better driver on the road.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
take your car to an open trackday and enjoy it on a closed course where everyone is driving the same direction and there isn't anything to hit (e.g. curbs, trees, light-poles, people, etc).

Mods are over-rated in my book too....I've invested $15k into a roadracing motorcycle before and it only makes sense if you're pushing your machine to it's current limits, which only about 10% of us really do.

I will say that brakes and clutch will get a majority of the wear 'n tear at a trackday but it will definitely teach you more about your limits and the cars.

Try it and enjoy. GL
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I modify mine because I enjoy the exhaust note, the look, and the feel of the car. I did learn what overboard was though on my MY06 WRX. It was just to crazy.

also, for auto-x, I have seen many "slow" cars beat "fast" cars as you dont ever really use the top speed.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 14 m235i
If subaru wasn't charging so much for an exhaust I would definitely want to hear my engine's rumble. With the price they're asking for I may as well save up for turbo back.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Originally Posted by dchoi23
take your car to an open trackday and enjoy it on a closed course where everyone is driving the same direction and there isn't anything to hit (e.g. curbs, trees, light-poles, people, etc).

Mods are over-rated in my book too....I've invested $15k into a roadracing motorcycle before and it only makes sense if you're pushing your machine to it's current limits, which only about 10% of us really do.

I will say that brakes and clutch will get a majority of the wear 'n tear at a trackday but it will definitely teach you more about your limits and the cars.

Try it and enjoy. GL
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately here on Oahu, we dont have any sort of track at all, so that suggestion would be impossible for me.

Originally Posted by bpang1
I really freaking don't understand all the people saying "oh my car is slow" or whatever to justify not going to Auto-X...just keep it real like the OP and say you're too scared. Hell many times there are FAR SLOWER cars at Auto-X than anything you guys have. Some people bring SUVs and Vans out but NO ONE gives them a hard time.

My main reason for modding is because its my hobby and I work on the car to get it to the point where it is perfect for my tastes. I take it to Auto-X to test what I've done as well as work out my settings. I use all of this knowledge to make myself a better driver on the road.
Originally Posted by sneezerboi
I do it as a hobby. I appreciate each mod individually as they come. I would recommend actually participating in AutoX. Nothing to fear as we all have been the new guy at one point in our life. Your car is a great one to start off with. My first try was in a 1995 Benz C280 (aka Boat), but I had a blast. I've been hooked since. Having a more capable car such as yours really helps. The fact that there is a healthy aftermarket is even more encouraging. I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't come in last either. In fact, you'd probably beat me (as my tires aren't too sticky anymore).

Perhaps you need to experience the joy of owning your car in an environment where it shines.
Thanks guys. Yes, I'm "man" enough to admit that I dont go to AutoX because I'm slighty afraid. I'm more intimidated by the old timers and such, not so much about being slow. It's not so much winning, I dont care about that at all. I'm just afraid of making an *** out of my self for being a n00b.

Still though, AutoX is only one day of the month, and not even every month. I still cant justify having even to DD my Prodrive springs for that. I dont know what it is, but I'm sick of driving my car to work and such. I dont know if this is a problem with my car, or it's just me acting way too old for my age. All the bumps, squeaks, clunks, and vibrations are starting to really wear me down.

I'm currently running 04 STI Struts with Prodrive spings, and Kumho Ecsta XS tires. Do you folks think this setup is just right for the street? Or could you suggest something a little but more mild.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
LOL Joey!! I know how you feel buddy!! And I concur with Blake! Try and go out and AutoX and maybe that'll rekindle your racing spirit! Trust me, I can speak from experience! All you need is that kick in the buttox to taste that adrenaline rush like you tasted it the first time and it will burn brighter and stronger. Maybe we should all take a vacation trip to California and introduce you to my cousin and his friends and I'm sure he will spark the flame. On another note, Joey are you looking for a back-up Rebel XT?? I might have one NIB Rebel XT kit for 300 bucks. LMK
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STI
Touge,

I think that you're asking some hard questions of yourself. Personally, I enjoy thinking about making my car more capable on the track and in high-performance situations. Modifying your car, to me, is all about your personal preferences and making your car special. My modifications are geared toward suspension and torque, ie I like my car to handle corners and accelerate upon an exit. *shrug* Other people love to see the high HP numbers for bragging rights, either way they make the car THEY want, not the one anyone can buy from a dealer. I find satisfaction in crawling under my car with a wrench or plugging a laptop into the OBDII port to modify my ECU, if that satisfaction is gone for you, then it's gone.

It really sucks that you don't have a track to go have fun on, track days are absolutely amazing and totally worth the time and money involved. They make everything you've done to your car seem worth it.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
I have similar problem....
I'm affraid of going to AutoX or rally because I think something is gonna brake. I know that nothing is gonna happen, just being stupid me....( 2 years ago almost died when lower control arm broke in my Eclipse GST and wheel came off at 45 MPH, since then don't trust any suspension)
I guess I'm too careful, and just like u acting too old for my age
Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Some people simply just "outgrow" their enthusiasm to modify their cars. Doesn't matter what age you are, there will be a time where you would be sick of bearing with the squeaks and thumps of the suspension on the car with our horrible roads to a point where you just had enough.

Then you will sell your car, and get a new one that's more luxurious. One day, a WRX/STI will pass by you and you will miss your car. (That is if you don't buy a 335i or A4 2.0T)

^True story.

Originally Posted by touge-n00b
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately here on Oahu, we dont have any sort of track at all, so that suggestion would be impossible for me.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm "man" enough to admit that I dont go to AutoX because I'm slighty afraid. I'm more intimidated by the old timers and such, not so much about being slow. It's not so much winning, I dont care about that at all. I'm just afraid of making an *** out of my self for being a n00b.

Still though, AutoX is only one day of the month, and not even every month. I still cant justify having even to DD my Prodrive springs for that. I dont know what it is, but I'm sick of driving my car to work and such. I dont know if this is a problem with my car, or it's just me acting way too old for my age. All the bumps, squeaks, clunks, and vibrations are starting to really wear me down.

I'm currently running 04 STI Struts with Prodrive spings, and Kumho Ecsta XS tires. Do you folks think this setup is just right for the street? Or could you suggest something a little but more mild.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Or save for the Toyobaru 086A.

Woo mini IS-F
Attached Thumbnails Modifying your car: Why do you do it?-toyota_subaru_086a_1-580op.jpg  
Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX
^whoa that car looks badass!^

Quick Reply: Modifying your car: Why do you do it?