Mitsubishi Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:54 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Mitsubishi Test Drive

My friend is visiting from Maui for the holidays and arranges for a test drive of the EVO 8. He thinks it would be funny to "roll-up" in my STi. So I take him there this morning, he gets to test drive a white one with the smaller wing- $36K. I didn't want to tag along cuz I wanted to look at the Montero. While on the test drive, the salesperson asks me about my STi, why did I not want the EVO. I plainly say that I could not see myself spending $42K for a car. She starts getting defensive and starts ragging me about my car. I politely told her that I got my car at MSRP, she goes on to point out that I had the car comes with no floor mats, I say I got mines free. She says it has no stereo, I say look...most people who buy this type of car will yank out the stock one to replace it with a better one anway. She is now getting frustrated with me and starts to go on the EVO holding a better BlueBook value over my STi. I just give her the look and ignore her. After the test drive, my friend simply states that it is not worth the price. As good as the performance numbers they state, the car is not something he could live with 24/7. Great track car, and that's about it. By far he states the STi is the better buy, and I agree. I love my car, if I spend money on a car, I have to be happy with it everytime I drive it, not only at 9/10 of its potential. Nuff said!
Old 12-28-2003, 12:01 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
the sales people get defensive when u don't want to pay an extra 8 g's over msrp?

honestly what were u thinking when u bought the sti, you passed up such a good deal on the evo

hhahah.. joking of course :banana:
Old 12-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Re: Mitsubishi Test Drive

Originally posted by shiroikage
frustrated with me and starts to go on the EVO holding a better BlueBook value over my STi.
Are they in the KBB yet????

Was it the short girl with big hoo hoo's. If so, she hates me. I drove up in there twice in the STi to try and buy a EVO as a 2nd car. Best I could do was $35,577 out the door.........

Mistu hawaii!
Old 12-28-2003, 01:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
That girl is hot as heck (pardon my french). mister hawaii, too.

I looked for both the STI and the Heave-ho in KBB, Edmunds, and anything else I could find a few weeks back. They weren't in there when I checked.

Shroikage, you could do search upon search on here, Nasioc, EvolutionM.net and I think you could conclude that both are very awesome cars. Both are very, very simillar; each having their own little bugaboos (personally, I don't know much about the EVO, but I can't think of one thing I DON'T like about the STI).

Bottom line, how could anyone justify paying $7k more for a car that's almost the mirror image of yours? Are the variances worth that much? $7k for a stereo and floormats? Come on! I would have had to bust out with my Ninja, hard-headed, psycological, hard-sell, GPATMAC logic on her. I can be as stupid as she can.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
The people at Mitsubishi Hawaii are a bunch of crackheads. I went there last Sunday with Francis, Dav and Jason after the race. I told them I already pre-qualified for a loan from my credit union but I wanted to test drive the car first. I did tell them that I already raced a few STi's on the track but I wanted to drive the Evo to see if it could sway me. The saleswoman (small, thin, short asian woman who could hardly speak engrish) started to ramble on on the "speciality" of this vehicle and how the STi didn't even come with a radio.

I proceeded to stop her dead in her tracks by telling her I didn't want their crappy $120 mats or their stereo which I was gonna rip out anyway...I just wanted to drive the car. THey "pre-approved" me to test drive it and off she, Francis, Brennan Nd I went. I will say the car is awesome...I mean the handling is awesome (makes me understand why Sean beat other STi drivers on the track in his friend's Evo ).

Anywho, when I got back, I told them I wanted to pay $33K out the door, which is what I was approved for. They started to haggle with me and I told them straight up it was $33K with tax, license and fees. The sales manager (a heavier woman) told me they are not "just giving away Evo's". The best offer they came up with was $34950 out the door. I told them I would check with my credit union.

I realized later that night that I FORGOT to ask for my DRIVERS LICENSE beofre I left the dealership. So later in the day, I called them and told them that I would not be approved for the loan and they continued to haggle with me. The sales manager said "we can get you in a cheaper Evo". THe Evo I priced was already the one without the sunroof, so the only other option was to have a smaller wing. WHen I asked her and she confirmed my guess, I told her no. She then says "You mean you would turn down this car because the wing?" Absolutely. I went back to pick up my license and they saleswoman (who didn't even know my name) started to pester me. Alicia came over and snapped at her to get my license and the salesmanager came out. After about 15 minutes, I finally got my license back.

I'll be honest guys. I love Subies, but if they didn't have thier prices in the clouds and thier heads up their asses, I would have bought an Evo. Although the interior is CHEESY, the seats are better than the STi's, and the handling is superior. Other than that, the STi is superior. Mitsu Hawaii can kiss my hairy ***.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:32 PM

Car Info: Subaru, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Previously Owned Vehicles
Talking He he he

He he he

Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Re: He he he

Originally posted by ElNino

He he he

Happy New Year

Old 12-29-2003, 12:04 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Yeah, it was the short Vietnamese (I think) one. Seems all she knows is lack of floor mats and radio. Both the STi and the EVO are excellent cars, if they would sell the EVO at MSRP then is would be as all the magazines have said-the EVO is the winner. But unfortuantely in the real world, you can't buy it under 30K. I cannot see paying the large difference in price on a car with a small variance of superiority in the handling department. I love my car, hell even my mother in law likes the ride quality more than my previous ride. In my book it's all good!! Happy Holidays to all in Scoobydom!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by STI808
maybe is cheaper to buy the Evo in mainland and ship it back to Hawaii.
One of the guys I know from work did that when he bought his Mustang Cobra. He was tired of getting jacked over by the Ford dealers.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:13 AM

Car Info: Subaru, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Previously Owned Vehicles
Jan.2004 HOT ROD MAGAZINE

Originally posted by shiroikage
Yeah, it was the short Vietnamese (I think) one. Seems all she knows is lack of floor mats and radio. Both the STi and the EVO are excellent cars, if they would sell the EVO at MSRP then is would be as all the magazines have said-the EVO is the winner. But unfortuantely in the real world, you can't buy it under 30K. I cannot see paying the large difference in price on a car with a small variance of superiority in the handling department. I love my car, hell even my mother in law likes the ride quality more than my previous ride. In my book it's all good!! Happy Holidays to all in Scoobydom!
From What I understand, this is the first time in the history of HR Magazine that an import car was featured on the cover of a reputible magazine. I remember this magazine when I was in H.S. years ago...

You can see the EVO in Small print hiding in the dark...

But the article Features on the Cover...
" USA VS. JAPAN"

Cobra vs. Subaru WRX STi :banana:

http://www.hotrod.com/

Happy New Year!!!!

Last edited by ElNino; 12-29-2003 at 11:15 AM.