Miata is very different from STi.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Here's pix of the "new" racecar.

http://www.mauiscca.org/gallery/0128...80933_G?full=1

http://www.mauiscca.org/gallery/0128...80938_G?full=1
Old 01-31-2007, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
Originally Posted by Risk3233
I just read b drift's comment about turns on our track or lack thereof.

FYI we had a series of turns that looked like the kink at the 24 Rolex race this weekend. We had a combination of slow (1st gear corners) and the usual high speed stuff. I actually had to do a 3-1 downshift in the Miata. That was a challenge to actually use some heel-toe downshift in a brakezone.

I heard that your courses are so tight that STis don't even get out of 1st. What kind of challenge is that? j/k
haha.

you heard from the wrong STiZ. 2nd gear after the start all the way through. at hrp, 3rd gear sometimes. NEVER backed down to 1st evar!!(unless i messed up) that just meant that for SOME reason, they weren't going as fast as they should.

even now with the miata, never backed down to 1st. even drove a STS2 miata on azenis and he wondered why he was not going as fast as he thought he should. i drove his car with him and left first after the start and never downshifted while he said when he raced, he would be back and forth. in the end of the run i was almost a second faster with him in it and he said overall i held the speed better which is why i never went back down to first. same thing when i drove an ES miata with the driver in it.

yo islandx.

of course i meant poweR ruining the balance not weight. BTW: backing off is way harder than flooring it. ask avery when he tried to drive my FTD 240sx sr20det. he couldn't understand it. or ask poser. hey did you poosie out and leave the traction control on at the last race in the z06? haha.

b
Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

nice. car looks clean.

did you do the seat mod yet? looks like me with our head past the windshield top. also, i would have had a rollbar if i raced at your track with the manapuas and stuff if you leave the track unexpectedly. anyways, seat mod is removing some foam and stuff from the seat so you sit lower. i am trying to get a seat like yours so i can do that and not have my head hit the top everytime.

b

Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by islandx
I really don't think that the FFS will ruin the balance of the miata, with only 18lbs added to the front passenger side.

Overpowered maybe, but can't we just go half throttle where we would previously go full ?

Now a high hp turbo system with it's peaky power delivery would certainly make life difficult at auto-x.
you forgot the 12 ounces for the 2 pc pros that will sit under the driverside dash handling the fuel and 5th injector.

nah, the weight was the least of my concern considering my hood is not lightweight(some fake replacement as heavy as a 240sx hood) and i keep the spare tire in the trunk when i race.

b
Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 PM

There was a section where I tried to keep it in 2nd, but just fell under the power band prior to apex. I wasn't a fan of going back into 1st, but 2nd gear seemed slower. It was probably just my sh*tty driving style, but I couldn't get the right amount of pace through this one section of the course.

I agree that most times, 2nd gear is appropriate for my Miata. I drove very messy on the course this past weekend. Wrong turn-ins, early braking, etc. I need to be hard on myself so that I can drive better.

As for 1st gear Oahu courses, I ran there in August and kept it in 2nd for 90% of the course. Maybe my buddy is just using the wrong gear.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by b_drift
nice. car looks clean.

did you do the seat mod yet? looks like me with our head past the windshield top. also, i would have had a rollbar if i raced at your track with the manapuas and stuff if you leave the track unexpectedly. anyways, seat mod is removing some foam and stuff from the seat so you sit lower. i am trying to get a seat like yours so i can do that and not have my head hit the top everytime.

b
I'll do the seat mod before the next event. I just got my 14x7 Revolution RFX rims with Azenis for the Solo. I can't wait to put them on.

Agreed. Hard Dog Ace and rail braces are next on the list to do.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by b_drift
or ask poser. hey did you poosie out and leave the traction control on at the last race in the z06? haha.

b
i left it on on my second run to see how it would feel...it cut in a little too much...but if i get greedy with my right foot, all i do is spin tire...gotta lean to be VERY gentle with the throttle...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:21 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Risk3233
There was a section where I tried to keep it in 2nd, but just fell under the power band prior to apex. I wasn't a fan of going back into 1st, but 2nd gear seemed slower. It was probably just my sh*tty driving style, but I couldn't get the right amount of pace through this one section of the course.

I agree that most times, 2nd gear is appropriate for my Miata. I drove very messy on the course this past weekend. Wrong turn-ins, early braking, etc. I need to be hard on myself so that I can drive better.

As for 1st gear Oahu courses, I ran there in August and kept it in 2nd for 90% of the course. Maybe my buddy is just using the wrong gear.
yep. me thinks only mini and s2k might be able to do 1st and be FAST. minis are nuts. almost 60 in 1st. not sure on the newest ones though. but i still went into 2nd on mines and the GF and stayed there.

b